Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Aug 20, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #586 of 1,519
I hooked up the GSX to my amp via an Y-Cable. At first I tried a cable that goes to the XLR in but that stupid thing creates noise.

Anyway, now with this underpowered thing being hooked up to the map I can give it a full test run. Watched a movie last night and it was indeed better than SBX.

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #587 of 1,519
Already got the Audio-Technica ad 700x for competitive gaming. Although with 2.0 stereo seems amazing 7.1 didn't blow me away but then again it's PUBG early access. I am Planing on getting the Phillips Fidelio X2 for games like single player and Mmorpg do you guys think it's going to be a good buy paired with the gsx

According to PUBG forum faq the sound is 2.0 even if you set it to 7.1 that will expand the soundstage but not give you "native 7.1"

The philips x2 will do fine but i am not sure about mmorpg as there is not much mmo game that do surround sound .

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #588 of 1,519
Already got the Audio-Technica ad 700x for competitive gaming. Although with 2.0 stereo seems amazing 7.1 didn't blow me away but then again it's PUBG early access. I am Planing on getting the Phillips Fidelio X2 for games like single player and Mmorpg do you guys think it's going to be a good buy paired with the gsx

Tried my sennheiser hd 202's I got for like 10 bucks a while back in the gsx and they were way too much bass totally muddied lol.. no sound stage , I could barely hear anything else besides bass and turning it up really hurt my ears can't even use them in it. I'll probably keep those as a travel pair or for my mp3 player and pc jack. But the Game Zeros sound real nice on the gsx I would recommend something bright or that prefers highs but with a good soundstage.

Just read Shanks post about the sidetone being how loud you hear your own microphone in it lol. Hes right I didn't realize. The manual makes it seem like it increases soundstage or something. I mean what is a "sidetone" lol.

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #589 of 1,519
Thought I'd share my experience.

I own the GSX 1200 and have been using it for a variety of games for the past couple of months, especially CSGO.

**Pros:** After owning it for some time, I've concluded the only reason to buy the GSX 1000/1200 is for its outstanding 7.1 HRTF DSP. It has the most natural sounding HRTF DSP available, and some people claim its 7.1 surround is more convincing than their actual 7 loudspeakers they've set up in surround. If 7.1 surround is important in your gaming (FPS) or entertainment (DVDs), this very expensive unit might be worth purchasing for you.

**Cons:**

Outside of its 7.1 HRTF, the unit is mediocre as an external DAC and underwhelming as a headphone AMP. The GSX 1000/1200 uses the Conexant CX20745 as DAC/AMP. Sound quality overall is good, but when I A/B tested against small USB DACs like the DFR (Sabre) or UD125 (AKM Velvet Sound), the GSX sound is grainier and with instruments, especially those in the low treble, more muddled and less separated. From a power standpoint, it will easily drive your HD598 to satisfying volume levels, but if you have any other Hi-Fi headphones, I can't recommend pairing them with this unit if you want to bring the best out of them.

Speaking of clarity and separation, the unit's stereo output is less than ideal when the unit is configured as a 7.1 device in Windows. So, switching from 7.1 (for gaming) to 2.1 (for most things else), in addition to tapping the indicator on the device itself, one also needs to go into Playback Devices in Windows and configure the GSX back to a 2.1 device. Going back to gaming would require the opposite steps. Someone here at head-fi made handy batch files (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-gsx-1000-1200-impressions.824923/page-20#post-13379760) to do this for him.

**Summary:**
The GSX is a very expensive unit, and what you're paying for is first and foremost its excellent 7.1 HRTF DSP, and secondarily its convenient design. If I had to make the decision again, I would first test Razer Surround before deciding. As an avid FPS gamer with a competitive bent, 7.1 is very important to me. Overall, I do not regret my purchase, but I recognize the limitations of the unit.
Wait so I have been playing with the GSX configured in Windows to 7.1 but the device was set to stereo. Does that mean I have been playing with the true stereo experience or no. Like if I switch gsx to 2.0 does it switch to windows too or do I have to do it everytime I play PUBG. I can hear a big difference from 7.1 to 2.0 in terms of positional audio even though I haven't touch Windows settings which was 7.1

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #590 of 1,519
Wait so I have been playing with the GSX configured in Windows to 7.1 but the device was set to stereo. Does that mean I have been playing with the true stereo experience or no.

"True" stereo experience... well, yes, you've been experiencing a "true" stereo experience in the sense that there is no HRTF applied to the inputs going into your ears, but your audio is significantly compressed. Without also configuring the device as 2.0 in Windows, your stereo sound will be muddied. You can easily AB test this by listening to some music and listening for instrument separation.

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #591 of 1,519
Wait so I have been playing with the GSX configured in Windows to 7.1 but the device was set to stereo. Does that mean I have been playing with the true stereo experience or no. Like if I switch gsx to 2.0 does it switch to windows too or do I have to do it everytime I play PUBG. I can hear a big difference from 7.1 to 2.0 in terms of positional audio even though I haven't touch Windows settings which was 7.1

Only reason to change it in windows would be to have 24 bit instead of 16 bit. Unlike my onboard soundcard I didn't notice much difference between the two on the gsx, so you are probably fine without changing it in windows. I actually prefer to listen to the music in 7.1, just without reverb.

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #592 of 1,519
I've been reading some forums and i see that many people tend to misconfigure the darn thing (and i know people whom i recommended the gsx who did the same thing). The gsx has TWO outputs that show up in windows, one is labelled "headset earphone" the other "speakers". People often assume that what they need to set as default output is the headset part since they will use a headset. They don't read the manual then complain that the gsx is not working, sound is muffled etc... The "headset earphone" is actually a separate channel for voice communication, what you need is "speakers". Handy screenshots (in french :D):
zELMiE0.png

Here you can see the "headset earphone" and the main audio, usually it has the speakers icon, i just changed that for clarity. The property window on the right shows that there's only two options for quality and no channels to select, this is normal, you need to click the configure button for that, which will bring up this:
gcqjqQC.png

Now that's what we're looking for, select surround, click next, set speakers to large speakers, next, next, finish. On the gsx itself set it to 7.1 and enjoy.

Oh and don't forget that your headphones should be plugged into the correct output on the GSX, the headphone out.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #593 of 1,519
ya it sounds very muffled and missing sounds. Returning it now, gonna use the same exact bf1 settings, but with my onboard sound card. $200 is an insane price for a slight increase in positional audio for a huge downgrade in quality. Maybe they are defective but I don't want to take the chance. Maybe they don't work right with my board who knows.

I'm keeping the sennheiser game zeros though.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #594 of 1,519
According to PUBG forum faq the sound is 2.0 even if you set it to 7.1 that will expand the soundstage but not give you "native 7.1"

The philips x2 will do fine but i am not sure about mmorpg as there is not much mmo game that do surround sound .

I can test this later with Action recording software. It allows you to record multichannel audio. If this game does indeed support higher than 2.0 then audio will play from the other channels.

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #596 of 1,519
For me I tested, if you leave 7.1 on the windows and keep 2.1 on the GSX it doesn't sound right. so you need on both places.

That'll just be you, of course if it's a game you're talking about it may automatically configure 2.0/7.1 depending on Windows settings.
Running the device in HD mode (24bit@96Khz) does give it a volume bump though.

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #598 of 1,519
I've been reading some forums and i see that many people tend to misconfigure the darn thing (and i know people whom i recommended the gsx who did the same thing). The gsx has TWO outputs that show up in windows, one is labelled "headset earphone" the other "speakers". People often assume that what they need to set as default output is the headset part since they will use a headset. They don't read the manual then complain that the gsx is not working, sound is muffled etc... The "headset earphone" is actually a separate channel for voice communication, what you need is "speakers". Handy screenshots (in french :D):
zELMiE0.png

Here you can see the "headset earphone" and the main audio, usually it has the speakers icon, i just changed that for clarity. The property window on the right shows that there's only two options for quality and no channels to select, this is normal, you need to click the configure button for that, which will bring up this:
gcqjqQC.png

Now that's what we're looking for, select surround, click next, set speakers to large speakers, next, next, finish. On the gsx itself set it to 7.1 and enjoy.

How come you have the pretty nice GSX icon ? and I don't have it on the playback devices ?.. does anyone know ?

fa7btiT.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back