Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Aug 16, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #571 of 1,519
ya but I need a closed back unfortunately. I don't know much about either of those headphones. I see its only 35ohms. wow. I believe the game zeros is 50-150. not that that equals quality of course.

Do you think that even stereo gaming headsets offer more soundstage then normal studio ones? I mean like how bout the game one compared to the hd 598, don't you think the game one have more soundstage? I think thats another reason these gaming headphones end up sounding more tinny of course can be remedied though with a good eq.

They ask pro players, and if pro players could they'd make everything simple pixels to see better haha. Thats why the "e-sport" eq option sounds ridiculously extreme, cause pro players are extreme. They aint about immerision at all. Thats why all these "gaming" headsets are more about clarity then booming bass. And I'm realizing myself, its an acquired taste, but once you get used to it, there is no going back! Plus I'd like a mic that thats convenient. I never liked a desk mic, and a clip on is not gonna last with me. Plus these headphones match my setup haha. (i've lost my mind)

Another thing I like about these sennheisers headsets is the huge earcup. The ear cup on these game zeros are gigantic, and I like that for my big ears. The game ones had big headsets too but not as plush and even those hurt my ears. I like the oval better then the circle. I tilt the top of headphones more towards front of my head. to fit my whole ear in it. I game for hours. (it does get hot though, i'm blaming the summer)

Ohms doesn't tell you the quality of the headphone. Both M1060 and the Hifimans use different headphone technology call planar magnetic. They have lower ohms, but low power sensitivity as well so they are hard to drive. They are at the level of HD600 or better. Game Zero might be better than a lot of gaming headset, but it's not in the same league as these headphones as I'm sure everyone would agree here.

If you want a good audiophlie grade close back, you might want to look into Fostex TH-x00 or Oppo pm-3.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #573 of 1,519
Ohms doesn't tell you the quality of the headphone. Both M1060 and the Hifimans use different headphone technology call planar magnetic. They have lower ohms, but low power sensitivity as well so they are hard to drive. They are at the level of HD600 or better. Game Zero might be better than a lot of gaming headset, but it's not in the same league as these headphones as I'm sure everyone would agree here.

If you want a good audiophlie grade close back, you might want to look into Fostex TH-x00 or Oppo pm-3.

yes but as I've said, i'm just going for soundstage, and I'm looking for a closed back set. I also don't want ot have to buy an amp. I would sacrifice mic no problems.

Back to the gsx-1200 I got though. I think something might be wrong with it, and thats why it was sounding muffled and under-powered when I first got it. Today I turned on my pc and it didn't sound as loud as the night before, but then after a while it did. I thought ok maybe it needed to warm up. Then the pc idled. I came back and loaded up a bf1 game and I started spotting stuff and never hearing my voice spotting the enemy. I was like oh god I really do sacrifice sounds for the gsx. But I was like let me check the settings. So i waved my hand over it. and boom the sound came back alive and it unmuffled.

Do you think I should contact sennheiser, will they replace it, or do you think this normal? Anyone else with this experience?

I definitely love the thing when its working and can't be without it now.

EDIT: I'm going to try another usb port, I have it in a usb3 port gonna try a 2.0 one.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #574 of 1,519
yes but as I've said, i'm just going for soundstage, and I'm looking for a closed back set. I also don't want ot have to buy an amp. I would sacrifice mic no problems.

Back to the gsx-1200 I got though. I think something might be wrong with it, and thats why it was sounding muffled and under-powered when I first got it. Today I turned on my pc and it didn't sound as loud as the night before, but then after a while it did. I thought ok maybe it needed to warm up. Then the pc idled. I came back and loaded up a bf1 game and I started spotting stuff and never hearing my voice spotting the enemy. I was like oh god I really do sacrifice sounds for the gsx. But I was like let me check the settings. So i waved my hand over it. and boom the sound came back alive and it unmuffled.

Do you think I should contact sennheiser, will they replace it, or do you think this normal? Anyone else with this experience?

I definitely love the thing when its working and can't be without it now.

EDIT: I'm going to try another usb port, I have it in a usb3 port gonna try a 2.0 one.

Definitely sounds like either the USB port is not delivering clean power or there's something wrong with your unit. I ran BF1 yesterday, seems like the game runs best with the Logitech G Pro setting in sound.

Aug 17, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #575 of 1,519
Aug 17, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #576 of 1,519
So i got the AD 700X plugged into the GSX 1000 and i cant shake the feeling that i just have better positional accuracy with just the stereo mode on, does anyone have any advice how should i set up the EQ settings on my GSX for best positional accuracy? Also the game is PUBG so i realize its not really the best game for 7.1 surround. Also im looking for good fun gaming headphones which are easy to drive with my GSX (AD700x is my competitve heapdhones) i heard Phillips Fidellio X2 are good but im open to suggestions i dont need positional accuracy im looking for straight fun :D

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #577 of 1,519
Thought I'd share my experience.

I own the GSX 1200 and have been using it for a variety of games for the past couple of months, especially CSGO.

**Pros:** After owning it for some time, I've concluded the only reason to buy the GSX 1000/1200 is for its outstanding 7.1 HRTF DSP. It has the most natural sounding HRTF DSP available, and some people claim its 7.1 surround is more convincing than their actual 7 loudspeakers they've set up in surround. If 7.1 surround is important in your gaming (FPS) or entertainment (DVDs), this very expensive unit might be worth purchasing for you.

**Cons:**

Outside of its 7.1 HRTF, the unit is mediocre as an external DAC and underwhelming as a headphone AMP. The GSX 1000/1200 uses the Conexant CX20745 as DAC/AMP. Sound quality overall is good, but when I A/B tested against small USB DACs like the DFR (Sabre) or UD125 (AKM Velvet Sound), the GSX sound is grainier and with instruments, especially those in the low treble, more muddled and less separated. From a power standpoint, it will easily drive your HD598 to satisfying volume levels, but if you have any other Hi-Fi headphones, I can't recommend pairing them with this unit if you want to bring the best out of them.

Speaking of clarity and separation, the unit's stereo output is less than ideal when the unit is configured as a 7.1 device in Windows. So, switching from 7.1 (for gaming) to 2.1 (for most things else), in addition to tapping the indicator on the device itself, one also needs to go into Playback Devices in Windows and configure the GSX back to a 2.1 device. Going back to gaming would require the opposite steps. Someone here at head-fi made handy batch files (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-gsx-1000-1200-impressions.824923/page-20#post-13379760) to do this for him.

**Summary:**
The GSX is a very expensive unit, and what you're paying for is first and foremost its excellent 7.1 HRTF DSP, and secondarily its convenient design. If I had to make the decision again, I would first test Razer Surround before deciding. As an avid FPS gamer with a competitive bent, 7.1 is very important to me. Overall, I do not regret my purchase, but I recognize the limitations of the unit.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #578 of 1,519
Definitely sounds like either the USB port is not delivering clean power or there's something wrong with your unit. I ran BF1 yesterday, seems like the game runs best with the Logitech G Pro setting in sound.

ya I'm still wondering if something wrong with my unit. I put in my little earbuds and it sounded lower volume then using them on it the day before, till I moved the volume a touch and instantly felt it amp up, then it was much louder going back to the same level. Its not drastic so I wonder if this is just how it is and people don't notice.

I also gotta say, bf1 sounds the best with this thing, and I'm wondering now if its just because bf1's sound, and positional audio, is just that much better then anything else, regardless of the gsx. bf4, witcher 3 and movies are not impressing me as much, in fact I'm wondering if the witcher 3 sounds better in stereo. I think they are only 5.1 not 7.1 and this might be making a big difference. And so I think even more sounds will get muffled out.

I'm still contemplating whether to keep this thing or not now, since bf1 seems to be the only game they sound really great on. And one would have to hope more games with good 7.1 audio come out in the future.

I have to test more, I still don't have a final conclusion.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #579 of 1,519
So i got the AD 700X plugged into the GSX 1000 and i cant shake the feeling that i just have better positional accuracy with just the stereo mode on, does anyone have any advice how should i set up the EQ settings on my GSX for best positional accuracy? Also the game is PUBG so i realize its not really the best game for 7.1 surround. Also im looking for good fun gaming headphones which are easy to drive with my GSX (AD700x is my competitve heapdhones) i heard Phillips Fidellio X2 are good but im open to suggestions i dont need positional accuracy im looking for straight fun :D

You might have to play around with the surround sound focus. On some headsets I have to put the focus to the front so they don't sound so muffled, on some i have to put it to the balanced or rear and turn the volume up so I get the surround effect. . Also I find the only game they are good for right now is bf1. I haven't tried them with cs:go yet, but I have a feeling they work best with a game that is 7.1 and I don't know of any other games that directly support 7.1 besides bf1?

Play with the focus turn the volume up, and just let your ears get used to it. Its definitely an advantage for bf1, but its a totally diff sound you have to adjust to. I can't say the same yet about bf4, and haven't tried cs:go yet.

Speaking of bf1 though, this thing will definitely give you an advantage. It might take some getting used to because obviously its different sound. But its better then stereo. Many times I have listened behind walls for footsteps and knew exactly from which side the guy was coming, kill him and chuckle to myself knowing he was stunned. Just hearing the voices of soldiers with the gsx is pretty cool. Bf1's positional audio without the gsx is pretty amazing by itself though, they designed it great so how much of an improvement the gsx has is personal opinion.

Although I believe the gsx makes it easier. The fact that it muffles the sounds, lol, or I guess divides the sound up so you don't get the feeling of hearing so many sounds at once. Its almost like you are only hearing the important sounds depending where you facing. But I do believe you are losing sounds you would otherwise hear on stereo.

in bf4 I was throwing nades and turning around to hear them behind me. and I didn't even hear it sometimes, or it would be to the left or right, as if stereo only. So something wrong there. I believe this thing really works best on 7.1 sources, in particular bf1.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #580 of 1,519
Final Verdict: I'm returning the gsx-1200

Tried cs:go, no noticeable improvement with the gsx. ;Maybe because cs:go doesn't have very many effects or sounds.

I prefer witcher 3 without the gsx, I feel the gsx makes it too muffled. Without it I hear so many more sounds.

BF1 I believe has better positional audio with the gsx, but I think only slighty. and I found something strange. I put BF3 to surround without the gsx and I still hear surround in the game. rear sounds sound even better. I think the side sounds are harder to tell distance with sound too close, but i'm getting surround sound with bf3 set to surround, with just the game zeros, my onboard asus supremefx, and no gsx. I do have sonic studio set to surround but I don't think it makes a difference. So I now i'm really wondering why I spent money on this thing.

I think these games do good virtual surround on their own it seems, so that theres no need for extra hardware or software. Anybody else try surround sound setting with regular stereo headphones in bf3? lol It tells you to only enable the feature if you have headphones to support it, but hmm... I think I'd rather have the left and right sound too loud while still getting front and back, at 24 bit clarity, instead of having everything muffled and missing sounds.

So now I'm going back to my original post, this thing is a scam. I'm keeping the game zeros only for closed back set and I think they do have good soundstage and a very good mic. But there is no reason to own the gsx, even for virtual surround in bf1. Its the muffled-1000.

I think i just wanted to like it really bad. LIked the idea of it, liked the look of it. But i'd be fooling myself. Thanks for letting me post my experience.

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #581 of 1,519
Ok now I've decided to keep it again lol. after playing with surround all day with my onboard. I went back to the gsx-1200 and it sounds way better in bf1. So I'm keeping it for bf1, and maybe future games that support 7.1. Fallout 4 also sounds more immersive then my onboard stereo and is definitely in surround. The difference in witcher 3 was not as impressive to me.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #582 of 1,519
I tryed moving my hand over it its not responding at all, also i tryed every USB i had. Im using 2.0 and 3.0. Also switched to my Fiio E10k and the same cabel is working for it. I just dont understand since its detecting it in windows its just not turning on.... Any other ideas?

This happened to me after waking pc from sleep. replugging it didn't help. To get the gsx to wake, move the volume in windows. You also might want to check your usb power options in windows, probably meaningless since it didn't matter for me but worth a check with defaults.

Did you order the cheaper gsx-1200 on amazon too like me and a previous poster I seen? I wonder if something was wrong with them and they were trying to get rid of them.

The Sennheiser muffled-1200 lmao...
I guarantee you most people are not as insane as me and would not keep this product for the price. The positional audio is definitely a tradeoff for sound quality. And i'm still comparing my onboard virtual surround and bf1's amazing surround for headphones within the game itself, apparenlty, to warrant almost 200 dollars. And none of the other features are worth anything compared to onboard. (2.0, mic port)

I think this product came out 10 years too late. The games themselves already have great virtual surround it seems. BF1 being the best I've ever heard with or without the gsx.

But like I said fallout 4 and bf1 are much more immersive with the gsx, and bf1's positional audio has a slight edge with gsx, especially if your sound drivers don't support the bf1 surround option properly (minus clarity and some sound effects). BF4's surround sounded very broken, and I couldn't tell if witcher 3 was putting out stereo or surround, not impressive. Movies didn't impress much either but all I had to go on was netflix, not a good source. 7.1 source prolly sounds best. (and there aren't many) Adjusting the surround focus helps with different sources.

So it all really depends on the game, your heapdhones, and your taste. I would say buy it and try it out.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #583 of 1,519
To the previous posters saying you can't notice the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit audio? What!?! of course you can...even on the cheapest pos earphones you can find.

And yes going from 16 bit to 24 bit will sound louder, but it also sounds much much clearer and way less hollow. Ironically going from 24 to 32 bit will sound lower (at least with onboard chips) but will sound even clearer then 24 bit, I get less bass too. I'm partly deaf from years of loud music concerts and I can still tell the difference. 24 bit is the sweet spot right now.

thats another thing I wish the gsx had a balance option. I always go -1 although wish I could do -.5 with my onbooard mobo software, my left ear going deaf and my right eye going blind in the future. (is it the left ear that always goes on heapdhones?)

Although, using the gsx can't say I was able to tell the difference putting it to 2.0 hd lmao. another feature thats worthless and too much of a hassle to be bothered with.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #585 of 1,519
Already got the Audio-Technica ad 700x for competitive gaming. Although with 2.0 stereo seems amazing 7.1 didn't blow me away but then again it's PUBG early access. I am Planing on getting the Phillips Fidelio X2 for games like single player and Mmorpg do you guys think it's going to be a good buy paired with the gsx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back