Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Jun 5, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #466 of 1,519
I don't hear a huge difference in the directionality of the surround effect, but I do hear some differences overall. With SBX, there is more of a "jump" when something moves from back left to back right. You can hear this in the first part of the video where the soldier is moving behind your head. With GSX, I hear a more natural transition from back left to right, but with SBX there is more of a jump at one point. The second difference for me is in the low end. It's much more pronounced in the GSX as demonstrated during the window explosion in the last part of the video.

That being said whether that's worth the difference in price is purely subjective.

Yes, but as long as natural goes, he didn't enabled some of the special GSX environment . we need to hear how it goes with that in games like Racing, RPG, Horror , not just FPS.

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #467 of 1,519
Warning Warning :

This is with Asus DLX RAID sound card. but I bet it will cause issues with other sound cards including GSX and Creative.

Guys, don't use 24bit 96000 Hz on the sound card, neither Speakers or Headphones. use only 24bit 48000 Hz . I did a test with NieR Automata game which support only 5.1 but for some reason I entered the game and it was only Auto ( Stereo ) with no other option to choose. so I switch to my Speakers 5.1 Analog 3.5mm and it Auto (5.1) . then I switch in the speakers windows option to 7.1 and it still detect it as 5.1 . then I switch back to Headphones then choose 24bit 48000 Hz, entered the game, and it detected as 5.1 . So I don't know . games can't detect the surround properly if you use 96 Khz . Also , I did the test again, switched back Headphones with 24bit 96000 Hz and again it was only detected as Auto ( Stereo ) , so CLEARLY stay away from 96000 Hz if you use any Virtual Surround system. I think that's why it includes Dolby Atmos.

Using Speakers 24bit 96 Khz still detect as Auto (5.1). so the issue is only with Virtual Surround, and again don't forget that Dolby Atmos auto lower it for this might very reason. so it will work properly.

I'm still waiting for the GSX to arrive, it should arrive in the next couple days. I already plugged the Objective2 and it works fine, I need to use the Gain button cause it so low without it. compare to using Asus DLX RAID when set to Low Impedance it sound the same. when using High Impedance the sound is way higher than the objective2 on full volume without the Gain. still I didn't check the gain but my guess that's what it will do, boost it too 600 ohms.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #468 of 1,519
Warning Warning :

This is with Asus DLX RAID sound card. but I bet it will cause issues with other sound cards including GSX and Creative.

Guys, don't use 24bit 96000 Hz on the sound card, neither Speakers or Headphones. use only 24bit 48000 Hz . I did a test with NieR Automata game which support only 5.1 but for some reason I entered the game and it was only Auto ( Stereo ) with no other option to choose. so I switch to my Speakers 5.1 Analog 3.5mm and it Auto (5.1) . then I switch in the speakers windows option to 7.1 and it still detect it as 5.1 . then I switch back to Headphones then choose 24bit 48000 Hz, entered the game, and it detected as 5.1 . So I don't know . games can't detect the surround properly if you use 96 Khz . Also , I did the test again, switched back Headphones with 24bit 96000 Hz and again it was only detected as Auto ( Stereo ) , so CLEARLY stay away from 96000 Hz if you use any Virtual Surround system. I think that's why it includes Dolby Atmos.

Using Speakers 24bit 96 Khz still detect as Auto (5.1). so the issue is only with Virtual Surround, and again don't forget that Dolby Atmos auto lower it for this might very reason. so it will work properly.

I'm still waiting for the GSX to arrive, it should arrive in the next couple days. I already plugged the Objective2 and it works fine, I need to use the Gain button cause it so low without it. compare to using Asus DLX RAID when set to Low Impedance it sound the same. when using High Impedance the sound is way higher than the objective2 on full volume without the Gain. still I didn't check the gain but my guess that's what it will do, boost it too 600 ohms.

A question about what I wrote. if it is decided to use 48 Khz what will we choose with the bits ? 16 bit or 24 bit ? because when installing the Asus Strix RAID DLX driver, it default to 16 bit 48 Khz or 44 Khz on the speakers and it was 16 bit 44 Khz on the microphone.

What should I choose 16 bit or 24 bit ? I just find it hard to decide because we already know going higher than 48 Khz is causing issues , for example 96 Khz on Speakers/Headphones/Microphone.

EDIT : For example my Realtek Audio on my laptop has 24 bit and 48 Khz, but the microphone is only have 16 bit 44 Khz and 16 bit 48 Khz.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #469 of 1,519
Hi everyone. What would be the differences between the HD 598s and the 599s? I can see them priced relatively closely online, so I'm just wondering if one has a distinct advantage over the other, especially when paired with the GSX1000?

Also, would anyone have any recommendations for 2.0 speakers to use with the GSX? I've been looking at Edifier's range.

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #470 of 1,519
Hey,

I finally got the GSX 1000, for some reason at first it sounds exactly like the Asus Strix Raid DLX VSS . but I still need to check more games. for now I'm not really convinced about this, I hope it will change.

For music it is necessary to change to 2.0 stereo from the device, I don't think you will need to change from windows because the signal will be 2.0 as long the device is set to it. I think you only need to set 2.0 in Windows only if you going to Mastering in special programs audio editors so you will have the 24 bit 96 Khz selection. that's why we have the device.

So I still can't figure if I need to change the equaliser to Music/Movie mode or just keep it normal , any suggestion ?
I also don't know when to use the Environmental audio enhancement , there are specific games I should enable it ? because it seems all it does is adding some Echo+Reverb , or just a lot of Reverb. any suggestions ?
Also which USB did you connect it , USB 2 or 3 ? Which IRQ does ?

Thanks.

I connected it using Objective2 AMP + almost full volume, 1 bar less + Gain On > GSX 1000 , the volume is same as the Asus Strix Raid DLX , I like the Asus cards, they have an awesome AMP .

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #471 of 1,519
Is there going to be an issue if I use Asus Strix RAID DLX for my 5.1 Logitech 5500 speakers ? and GSX 1000 for Headphones ? cause it must be, or else how people would be able to use their 5.1 ? I just don't know if there are conflicts and stuff.

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #478 of 1,519
If I want to hear for example Auro 3D headphones from the game GetEven with the GSX ? what do I need to change so I will get the game surround and not any virtual surround from the GSX ? I need to put 2.0 in the Windows speaker option and also in the Device ? or to keep 7.1 in the windows speakers and change from the GSX controller to 2.0 ? Also how do I use the Atmos in Battlefield 1 ?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #479 of 1,519
Alright, so I have had my GTX1000 for about 6 months now, and while playing Battlefield1 and FO4, I do not hear much directional audio. Perhaps my HD598 do not have much of a soundstage. Did any of you guys swap your headphones and really hear a big difference?
Just wondering what I'm missing.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #480 of 1,519
Alright, so I have had my GTX1000 for about 6 months now, and while playing Battlefield1 and FO4, I do not hear much directional audio. Perhaps my HD598 do not have much of a soundstage. Did any of you guys swap your headphones and really hear a big difference?
Just wondering what I'm missing.

I'm with the Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohms and I have hard time hearing the directional audio too. it sounds almost the same as Asus Strix RAID DLX VSS ... so I don't know.. sometimes in movies and in games I felt like the shoot or sound came straight from my sides of my room or like someone was calling me outside .. it felt real . so it really depends on the "way you hear it"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back