Sennheiser Amperiors?
May 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #151 of 1,022
Quote:
the graphs on innerfidelity show that the newer hd25-1 IIs being nearly the same as the amperiors  (as opposed to the older hd25-1 IIs which look different). i guess we'll see when they actually are available so i can go and compare them. 

Something is wrong here - the HD 25-1 and the HD 25-1 II are absolutely identical - the headphones are exactly the same.

The only difference is in the packaging and the fact that the cable was lengthened by 0.3m and the jack adaptor was a screw-on instead of a push-on.

May 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #152 of 1,022
Quote:
Hi there - 

If anyone's interested, I've posted some impressions of the Amperior and a few other great headphones in a new article.

Nice review, but I guess , you were to some extent influenced by your expectations (you confirmed more or less this on your conclusion :
you'd expected the hd800 to sound the best , the amperior to be better than  hd25 , etc ... the only surprise was the amperior you ranked above hd600).
By the way, the hd25 sound less boomy, and cleaner when using velour pad .
And this story of gold/silver connector, or cable ... I'm skeptical
wink.gif

Oh and by the way, I wouldn't classify "pat methny" as being "new age" , but "accoustic guitar".

May 20, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #153 of 1,022
Quote:
I presume you mean Stratford in London, rather than the place where Shakespeare was born?

Thank you so much for making me aware of that, John - in my previous post I meant to write not Stratford-upon-Avon, but Stratford, London.

May 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #154 of 1,022
Quote:
Nice review, but I guess , you were to some extent influenced by your expectations (you confirmed more or less this on your conclusion :

Hiya, and thanks :)

Just to confirm, though I might have had some thoughts about how the headphones I reviewed may perform in the test, during the creation process of the comparison I very much stayed in the moment i.e. present, as much as possible and noted my impressions as I heard them fresh. I did that to the best of my ability.

you'd expected the hd800 to sound the best , the amperior to be better than  hd25 , etc ...

I didn't presuppose that the HD 800 would sound best (that's just your thinking); I - to quote myself - "had a suspicion that the HD 800 would do very well across the board, which it did." Though I wondered about how the headphones would compare, I didn't know what the overall result of the comparison would be for sure, but I did know that the Amperior would sound a bit 'better' than the HD 25 because I'd A/B'd them a day or so before writing the article. 

the only surprise was the amperior you ranked above hd600).

Staying in the moment, as I did when writing the article made most of it a surprise. But you're probably right. 
wink.gif

By the way, the hd25 sound less boomy, and cleaner when using velour pad .

I used the velour pads on the HD 25 and I agree that they do make the HD 25 less boomy, and more neutral, to my ears. Also, I wrote above the HD 25 picture in the article that the HD 25 I was testing was fitted with the velour pads.

And this story of gold/silver connector, or cable ... I'm skeptical
wink.gif

I think what I heard was that the gold-plated connector was a better power conductor and so gave more power/volume to the headphone; due to the differing impedence of the HD 25 and Amperior, I manually altered the amp's volume so that both headphones sounded equal in volume when A/B'ing them, so the different connected may have been less of an issue than I previously thought.

Oh and by the way, I wouldn't classify "pat methny" as being new age , but "accoustic guitar".

Neither would I, but I was recently surprised to discoer that Pat Metheny has won two Grammy Awards for Best New Age Album, one of which was for the album that contained the track I used in the article. 
smile.gif

May 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #157 of 1,022
You can't really judge without even trying/comparing... 
confused.gif

Quote:
I still think price vs performance, DT's and Moda's beat em.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 21, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #162 of 1,022
Quote:
Thanks! Haha it would be true if I were in your position too!

Off-topic : These are a beaut.

your right, too me,my hd800s are like looking at a piece of fine art
beerchug.gif
, and while your there making me cry in the corner why I never had the opportunity too do something awesome like that tell sennheiser that we want a better pain finish on the hd800s, within a week of owning them I already had 2 scratches on them (1 from taking the cable off and 1 is a mystery) despite them only being on a headphone stand, in the box and on my head they were never dropped, the scratched bothered me soo much I took them apart, filled them in with bondo, and i used my friends air brush set up too paint over them with a exact match too the color of the stock paint if only they came out with all black hd800s with a more robust finish :frowning2:

May 21, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #163 of 1,022
Quote:
your right, too me,my hd800s are like looking at a piece of fine art
beerchug.gif
, and while your there making me cry in the corner why I never had the opportunity too do something awesome like that tell sennheiser that we want a better pain finish on the hd800s, within a week of owning them I already had 2 scratches on them (1 from taking the cable off and 1 is a mystery) despite them only being on a headphone stand, in the box and on my head they were never dropped, the scratched bothered me soo much I took them apart, filled them in with bondo, and i used my friends air brush set up too paint over them with a exact match too the color of the stock paint if only they came out with all black hd800s with a more robust finish :frowning2:

That I think you better take it up with the their Customer Service. I can't do much here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back