Sennheiser Amperiors?
Mar 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,022

Mike96

100+ Head-Fier
Mar 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 1,022
I'm really curious about these as well. I hate the look tbh. Nothing beats the no nonsense black rugged look of the normal HD25. But if the amperior manages to improve on the sound and retain the same sound signature, I'm all ears.
I'm just wondering how such a lower impedance and a stupid iPhone control could make them sound better. You would think that in theory the regular HD25-1 II would sound better with anything other than a low power portable player because of it's higher impedance.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 1,022
I'm really curious about these as well. I hate the look tbh. Nothing beats the no nonsense black rugged look of the normal HD25. But if the amperior manages to improve on the sound and retain the same sound signature, I'm all ears.
I'm just wondering how such a lower impedance and a stupid iPhone control could make them sound better. You would think that in theory the regular HD25-1 II would sound better with anything other than a low power portable player because of it's higher impedance.

Yeah i agree, i like the silver one better than the blue honestly, but i still prefer headphones that are black, red or a mix of red and black (V-Modas lol).
I've seen customized paint-job Sennheiser HD-1 II's if you really want to change the color, but of course that would scrape off easily as compared to what i heard watching Judes interview with the Director of Sennheiser Consumer about the color scraping off.

And in general i would like to know why headphone companies point out alot that they have Apple compatible cables.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 1,022

Quote:
... And in general i would like to know why headphone companies point out alot that they have Apple compatible cables...

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 1,022
Hi Mike,
  I am wary of this line

The Amperiors are the best sounding supraaural sealed cans I've heard to date

does that mean they sound better than other types of headphones? or just this type?

I would be interested to know this also.

Regards
David

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 1,022

Quote:
Hi Mike,
  I am wary of this line

does that mean they sound better than other types of headphones? or just this type?

I would be interested to know this also.

Regards
David

I take that as the Amperiors being the best sounding of their type, a closed on-ear portable. Unfortunately, at $350 I doubt they would stand much of a chance against Beyer DT880s, AKG K701s, Denon D2000s, Senn HD600s, etc. Same ballpark price, but obviously very different type of headphones. Would all depend on what you intended to use them for, but I'm not sold on them being worth $150 more than the $200 HD25-1-ii they are based on.

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 1,022
Was the goal really to make them sound the same?  So after 23 years on the market, they change the material of the cups, don't try to improve the SQ, and expect us to pay more?  Um....  How about they keep their fancy 8 minute cups and make a better headphone?

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 1,022

Quote:
Was the goal really to make them sound the same?  So after 23 years on the market, they change the material of the cups, don't try to improve the SQ, and expect us to pay more?  Um....  How about they keep their fancy 8 minute cups and make a better headphone?

Uhh, Tyll's review stated that the cups have improved the sound quality over the HD-25 BECAUSE of the new cup material.

"The big surprise for me, however, was that the subjective difference between the plastic versions of this headphones and the aluminum Amperior. The effects of the small amount of extraneous noise in the less stiff housings of the plastic headphones was quite obvious. While the HD 25-1 II is a good sounding headphone, I would characterize its performance as "very good mid-fi," while my experience with the Amperior reached what I would consider "entry-level audiophile" performance. The Amperiors are the best sounding supra-aural sealed cans I've heard to date, handily besting the DT1350, V-Moda M-80, and, of course, the HD 25-1 II. I love these headphones.
Previously I've felt the HD 25-1 II had a bit of an edge to them, in the case of the Amperior the highs are simply clear and articulate; there may be the slightest edge to the sound, but it's not bothersome in the least. Sure, they don't manage to pull off the airy, spacious highs of reference quality cans; and neither do they deliver the liquid coherence and transparency that a full-size, open headphone can. But for this type of headphone (small, sealed, portable) they are remarkable."

Tyll also reported lower impedance and higher voltage efficiency to assist with portability.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #10 of 1,022
Well, the Sennheiser HD-25 1 ii's MSRP is $300, while the Amperior is $350, a $50 difference. I would never ever pay MSRP for a headphone, so if anything, just wait a while for the price to go down on the markets.

But I agree, as of now, paying $150 more for what the amperior is is a bit steep, though Tyll seems to agree with the pricing.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 1,022

Quote:
Interested to see how the amperior stacks to the dt1350, I do not like the blue but would take silver!

Not the blue?  Blasphemer!

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 1,022

Quote:
Well, the Sennheiser HD-25 1 ii's MSRP is $300, while the Amperior is $350, a $50 difference. I would never ever pay MSRP for a headphone, so if anything, just wait a while for the price to go down on the markets.

But I agree, as of now, paying $150 more for what the amperior is is a bit steep, though Tyll seems to agree with the pricing.

Im with you on that, on a place like amazon i can get the HD600's for $50 more brand new or find a pair of them or the HD650's for $200-$350 used/refurbished. (The price was raised on both of those headphones though, If they were the same price before the raise wouldn't they have been a better deal then?)

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 1,022
I'd think the main reason to get the amperior would be to get the upgraded material/look, and that silly apple compatible cable.
I  hate the apple compatible cable, because I  don't want an ipod, and I  end up  with useless  buttons on the cable.
There might be  difference in the sound from amperior resulting from new cups ,  but just remind that it's not because there's a difference in sound, and the fact it's newer ,  that it necessarily means it's better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back