Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #436 of 1,054

So much this. If you get a second, pull up the Sixto Rodriguez track "Cause" from "Coming from Reality" - the Amperior makes this track borderline unlistenable. I pretty much have to pull out my M-100's to listen to that album.

yeah, i think it's just a bad recording or mastering of the album unless he did that on purpose to create a lo-fi sound.  amperirors definitely make it a lot harsher and un-listenable.

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #440 of 1,054
  yeah, i think it's just a bad recording or mastering of the album unless he did that on purpose to create a lo-fi sound.  amperirors definitely make it a lot harsher and un-listenable.

Yeah, I just had too many of those recordings where the Amperiors didn't fare too well, too much sibilance in many cases.  I'm actually packing and returning them today.  My M-100s though (w/ XL cups) are here to stay.  Should have the UE6000s tomorrow for more comparison.

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #441 of 1,054

Yeah, I just had too many of those recordings where the Amperiors didn't fare too well, too much sibilance in many cases.  I'm actually packing and returning them today.  My M-100s though (w/ XL cups) are here to stay.  Should have the UE6000s tomorrow for more comparison.

It also happened to me during the first days, sibilance was unbearable. However after a few weeks and basically more than 80 hours of burn-in they were more forgiving and the sibilance was not as present. That album in particular by Rodriguez doesn't sound good on anything though, can't really ask for miracles. At $130 is a bargain, too bad I have to pay taxes otherwise I'd have ordered a second pair as I love the sound signature. 

I'm also considering the UE600 (White), let me know your impressions compared to the M-100s.

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #442 of 1,054
  It also happened to me during the first days, sibilance was unbearable. However after a few weeks and basically more than 80 hours of burn-in they were more forgiving and the sibilance was not as present. That album in particular by Rodriguez doesn't sound good on anything though, can't really ask for miracles. At $130 is a bargain, too bad I have to pay taxes otherwise I'd have ordered a second pair as I love the sound signature. 

I'm also considering the UE600 (White), let me know your impressions compared to the M-100s.

I'd bought like 4 headphones in a span of 2 weeks and so, was hastily comparing them all while trying to burn them in, etc.  I just felt the bass impact of the M-100s (w/ XL) pretty much overshadowed the Amperiors, despite the more forward upper mids and highs.  And especially, once I added the XL cups, which opened up the soundstage and comfort.

I also didn't like the fit of the Amperiors - the split headband was awkward and so I kept them together.  That still felt odd, not to mention the earcups and clamping.

Anyway, don't want to derail this Amperior thread too much.  Will give impressions of the UE6000 for sure as compared to these.  I picked up the white ones as well. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #443 of 1,054
I'm loving my Amperiors so far.  Occasionally they can sound a bit muddy but overall I love the more forward trebles with a nice thumping bass.  I've gotten over the ear clamp pressure.  I just wish it came with a better cable.  Every time I push down on the L connector sound cuts out.

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #444 of 1,054

I'd bought like 4 headphones in a span of 2 weeks and so, was hastily comparing them all while trying to burn them in, etc.  I just felt the bass impact of the M-100s (w/ XL) pretty much overshadowed the Amperiors, despite the more forward upper mids and highs.  And especially, once I added the XL cups, which opened up the soundstage and comfort.

I also didn't like the fit of the Amperiors - the split headband was awkward and so I kept them together.  That still felt odd, not to mention the earcups and clamping.

Anyway, don't want to derail this Amperior thread too much.  Will give impressions of the UE6000 for sure as compared to these.  I picked up the white ones as well. 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, how's the isolation on the M-100s compared to the Amperior? I pretty much use the Amperior to commute, basically on my way to college and on my way back home, in that regard my Amperiors excel at. Isolation is great and they pair well with my HTC One + Poweramp, comfort wise they are ok as I only have them on for less than an hour each way. I found the M-100s too bassy for my taste that's why I skipped them, also they're over the ear it's not a fair comparisson IMHO.
The UE6000 are $116 on Amazon! How much did you pay for yours? I've had my eyes on them for a while now.. also on the ATH-ES88 and maybe later the T51p's.

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #445 of 1,054
  Yeah, how's the isolation on the M-100s compared to the Amperior? I pretty much use the Amperior to commute, basically on my way to college and on my way back home, in that regard my Amperiors excel at. Isolation is great and they pair well with my HTC One + Poweramp, comfort wise they are ok as I only have them on for less than an hour each way. I found the M-100s too bassy for my taste that's why I skipped them, also they're over the ear it's not a fair comparisson IMHO.
The UE6000 are $116 on Amazon! How much did you pay for yours? I've had my eyes on them for a while now.. also on the ATH-ES88 and maybe later the T51p's.

I was going to use the Amperiors for working at coffee shops, etc., and thought it would be a perfect function there, but now I'm hoping the UE6000s can fill that role.  The Amperiors were just fatiguing to my ears and knew it wouldn't work in that situation.  Even the cable was a bit stiff (and to be fair, they probably would have softened a bit) and almost in the way.

I can see though in your situation where the Amperiors would work well.  There was a sale last week on the UE6000 and got them for $82 shipped.  Might still be going on actually - check the deals thread.

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #446 of 1,054
Nope, the UE6000 are back to $130 at TigerDirect where the deal was. I'm still trying to decide whether to keep mine or not, but I ordered the Amperior today, so that'll be here shortly too. Too many headphone deals are going to make me poor!

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #447 of 1,054
  Nope, the UE6000 are back to $130 at TigerDirect where the deal was. I'm still trying to decide whether to keep mine or not, but I ordered the Amperior today, so that'll be here shortly too. Too many headphone deals are going to make me poor!

Ah okay.  Yeah, definitely wait to A/B them and let us know your impressions.

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #448 of 1,054
Does anyone know anything about the T51ps? I'm still not sure whether or not to get the UE6000 or wait for a black friday deal and get the T51p. Any other recommendation on over the ear headphones besides the UE6000, but that would complement well the Amperiors? The ones I've looked so far are B&O H6, P7 and Custom One Pro Tesla, still not sure which one should I go for. I'll prob have a trip coming and as much as love the fun sounding Amperior's sound signature I'd prefer a better all around sound when I'm not commuting or in a noisy environment. Amperior's are great with contemporary music and rock, pop, metal, you name it, but with jazz, some folk and blues the chesty bass is just a little annoying, also my favorite needle drop of Lou Reed's Transformer (by SpeakersCorner) can't be listened, knowing that reissue itself is bassier imagine the Amperior's thumpy bass on top of that, just a mess and ruins it for me. Anyway knowing there's no such thing as the perfect headphones, suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance!

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #450 of 1,054
Yeah, you can't go wrong for $130, that's a sweet deal.

In addition to using them as headphones, I'm also using my Amperiors to keep my family from setting things on top of my beloved Fritz Speakers :)

If I didn't put them on top of the Fritz, I would have people parking coffee, softdrinks, keys, hamburgers, etc 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back