Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #466 of 1,054
W3 not the same as Amps. W3 less up front and distinct mids, phat bass, but with less crunch up top. None of the universal iems from westone sound like the Amps, imho

Is the midrange better on the Amperiors? I wanted to give the W3 a try reading that they have better isolation and a more spacious sound. I do love the Amp's overall sound, do you think I'd like the W3?

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #467 of 1,054
Best for one person can be one thing and best for another another.  I liked the Amps better in the mids because of the clarity and forwardness over the W3s.  But many like the W3s because of the slightly laid back sound and depth.  The bass on the W3 is heavy compared to the Amps and more treble as well. Overall they are more u shaped curve.  As for whether you would like the W3, I cannot say, however they are a very good iem and fit for me was very comfy.

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #470 of 1,054
  Amperior does not do Maria Callas well.

Try the vintage Edison cans, they sound great with Callas, though not too portable 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #471 of 1,054
Man I really like the Amperiors. I'm so happy they went on sale for $119, otherwise I would have passed up on these guys and didn't know what I was missing. Honestly, knowing what I know now I think they're worth $200 easy. In fact I'm thinking about picking up another one (in blue this time). These prices are straight up nuts. One bit of caveat is that I have to be careful with the cables and headband hinges. But I can manage that.

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #472 of 1,054
  Man I really like the Amperiors. I'm so happy they went on sale for $119, otherwise I would have passed up on these guys and didn't know what I was missing. Honestly, knowing what I know now I think they're worth $200 easy. In fact I'm thinking about picking up another one (in blue this time). These prices are straight up nuts. One bit of caveat is that I have to be careful with the cables and headband hinges. But I can manage that.

Where did you get them for that price?

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #474 of 1,054

NewEgg a week or so ago. Check the Deals Discussion Thread. They're still $149 at one place that is not NewEgg.

oh ok, yeah I knew about that deal but it was 130 and they only had the silvers.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #475 of 1,054
  oh ok, yeah I knew about that deal but it was 130 and they only had the silvers.

There was a $10 coupon code so I did get them $119 flat. I can show you the receipt if you want. LOL. But yeah they only had silver, which was my preferred color ever since release. Good for me I guess.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #476 of 1,054
  There is something addictive about the Amperior once you get over the clamp.  My M-100's haven't been out for a while but when I get home it's all about the Philips Fidelio X1.

Agreed. The Amperior's sound put a smile on my face the other day but clamp remains lethal. Zipping down the cups an extra notch helps a good bit. If there's an over-ear equivalent I'm going to be seeeriously interested.
In your opinion, how does the Amperior compare to the Fidelio?

By the way, for people who dislike the stock cable, you can also do like so with a (shortened) HD650 cable

Small ugly drawback is that you're left with a faceless ''one of those''

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #479 of 1,054
The X1 wins hands down.  It has a nice extended bass and trebles that don't get strident.  Soundstage and instrument separation is beautifully done.  It plays all genres of music, everything from from classical to EDM, very well.  Never congested, always smooth and lots of fun.  That said, these things can't really be worn outside because of the open back design.  It leaks sound like crazy, they're like little loudspeakers and don't they don't isolate well either.  

The Amperior is nice little headphone with a very fun in your face sound and a hard hitting bass but it can too in your face sometimes.  When it tries to do too much the sound gets muddled.  The trebles can also get really strident on certain recordings.  But for most of the stuff I listen to, not Maria Callas
wink_face.gif
, it's great.  That in your face sound makes is so fun and addictive.  They are a steal at their current prices.  Get'em while they're hot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back