Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #376 of 1,054
Picked up a pair of Amps in Melbourne, Australia @ JB Hifi, Elizabeth St. Fell in love with the sound sig almost immediately on display. Did a price match with Store DJ, Richmond for $199 and JB decided to beat it by another $4. At $195 this is an absolute bargain for some exceptional quality cans. They still have 5 pairs left, and according to the Store DJ website, they have secured the last of the Aussie stock of Amps from Sennheiser. They are selling them at $199 AUD for silver and $219 AUD for blue. They also sell on ebay, so if anyone else in Australia are after a pair, take advantage.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #377 of 1,054
  As long as the Amperiors sound okay then you should be fine.  I just would not run it with high gain at high volumes.  As for proper matching I would start at gain of 6 and see how it sounds and how far up on the volume control you go.  Also to keep the freq response as close to nominal I would set the amp to 0 impedance.  Setting it to 20 would be good for a 150-300 ohm headphone and 65 would be best for 600 ohm cans.

Not sure about the cable, maybe someone else can chime in.

I was wondering about gain. If the sound level is fine when the volume is set at one third and at 0db gain is there a reason to set it at 6db gain and set the volume lower? I mean would it improve the sound?!

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #378 of 1,054
  My source is ipod classic 160gb with LOD to the headstage arrow 3g which is a portable amp that I used for my shure se535 and Triple 10 remold 4 drivers. I just want testing the sound quality of amperior with the new amp. The weird thing is that amperior is more sensitive than the shure se535 in high gain. I switched immediately back to low gain after playing few sec with high gain with my amperior. I did some research on the internet, it seem few sec playing music in high gain wont damage the headphone. Well at least I listened my amperior with my ipod touch 5th after, It seem everything is alright. The Headstage arrow have 4 switches Gain 
6dB, 12dB, 19dB, Bass boost 0dB, 9dB, 12dB, Impedance switch 0/20/65 ohm and Crossfeed Off Low High.

One more thing, its possible to use Oyaide HPC-H25 with the amperior? I think you just have to buy the Clamp Set for Sennheiser HD-25 to install these upgrade cable?

HPC-HD25red540.jpg
productsennheiser-044433_1_.jpg

Yes, I have a pair of the Oyaide yellow cables, and they do fit. However, it will take some slight force to make them fit. the plastic housing above the connectors are just ever so slightly different from HD25 to the Amperior. But you can get them to fit. I never bought any clamp set. Although come to think of it, I was only mounting the cables to burn in the cables. But actually never ended up using it, as I do like the mic control cable outfit better. I ended up buying the spare mic cable of the Philips L1 and call it a day.

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #379 of 1,054
  My source is ipod classic 160gb with LOD to the headstage arrow 3g which is a portable amp that I used for my shure se535 and Triple 10 remold 4 drivers. I just want testing the sound quality of amperior with the new amp. The weird thing is that amperior is more sensitive than the shure se535 in high gain. I switched immediately back to low gain after playing few sec with high gain with my amperior. I did some research on the internet, it seem few sec playing music in high gain wont damage the headphone. Well at least I listened my amperior with my ipod touch 5th after, It seem everything is alright. The Headstage arrow have 4 switches Gain 
6dB, 12dB, 19dB, Bass boost 0dB, 9dB, 12dB, Impedance switch 0/20/65 ohm and Crossfeed Off Low High.

One more thing, its possible to use Oyaide HPC-H25 with the amperior? I think you just have to buy the Clamp Set for Sennheiser HD-25 to install these upgrade cable?

HPC-HD25red540.jpg
productsennheiser-044433_1_.jpg

The HD25 clamp set is a good idea.  If the screws are included, you can start using a regular star-shaped screw driver instead of a Torx T6 for the Amperior screws.

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #380 of 1,054
Having given away my Beyerdynamic DT1350 a couple of months before I bought my Amperior, I was pretty sure I preferred the Amperior to my recollection of the DT1350.

Well, like an idiot, I just had to know, so I ordered the new DT1350 "Facelift" for a face-to-face comparison. It arrived yesterday...

Wow! Using a FiiO HS2 headphone switch to A/B the new DT1350 with the Amperior, I immediately felt foolish for having ordered the DT1350. The Amperior is in another league! For my tastes, the DT1350 is simply boring in comparison.

I love my Amperior!

Mike

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #381 of 1,054
I am also interested in the Oxyide cable, I don't really know how much improvement it will provide, but it just looks cool.

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #383 of 1,054
Hey guys, I have a question about the earpads. I absolutely love my Amperiors and use them outside and in the office, so basically most of the day. I find the ear cushions really comfortable but as I use them so much I was wondering about how long will they last and for how much can I get replacements. My local Sennheiser distributor doesn't have them in stock but he does have the HD-25's and I was wondering how will a change from alcantara to leather affect the sound quality and comfort of the headphones. Thanks in advance!

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #384 of 1,054
That OYIADE CABLE looks absolutely beautiful and so well made. 

I realize it is ultimately about the sound, but looks (for me at least) do count for alot... sorry, I guess I'm just one of  those "pride in ownership" types lol

but since the HD25 is monocolored (all black) I think it the colored cables look a little better on that model than the Amperiors....

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #385 of 1,054
Just got a pair off of Amazon yesterday. First thing I had to do right off the bat, was do something about the cable. It was driving me nuts. Took my old HD600 cable, braided it, turned the cups upside down. Problem solved. Wow! The punchy bass, the impact, the shimmer of the treble all make for a very exciting sound. The earpads don't get hot and the clamp is not a death vice like I was expecting. I can see the apprehension or downright refusal to purchase these at MSRP. I would have went with the HD25 if I had to go that route, but at $200, it was a very good deal. 

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #386 of 1,054
What are the advantages of these over IEMs?

I may sell mine if I can get better sound out of IEM bc isolation is nice. These however, are quite stylish. and have an addictive sound

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #387 of 1,054
Balanced armature or dynamic IEM? IEM with dynamic drivers won't isolate any better than Amperior's, but balanced armatures will. Then again, BA's had issues with cohesive sound. Comfort is another issue with many in regards to IEM's. Some can get used to the tips, but I can not. 1 hour in and my ears are raw. All this is just my experience and I've only had 3 pairs of IEM's

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #388 of 1,054
  Balanced armature or dynamic IEM? IEM with dynamic drivers won't isolate any better than Amperior's, but balanced armatures will. Then again, BA's had issues with cohesive sound. Comfort is another issue with many in regards to IEM's. Some can get used to the tips, but I can not. 1 hour in and my ears are raw. All this is just my experience and I've only had 3 pairs of IEM's

I've used the Shure e2c for years with no problems regarding comfort, and isolation was definitely better than amperior. So either balanced or dynamic. 

May be interested in Shure 535s bc they are supposed to be easy on the ears, and I know they'll be comfortable bc of my other shures i've had

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #389 of 1,054

I've used the Shure e2c for years with no problems regarding comfort, and isolation was definitely better than amperior. So either balanced or dynamic. 

May be interested in Shure 535s bc they are supposed to be easy on the ears, and I know they'll be comfortable bc of my other shures i've had

If you can afford go for ciems, you will get the best of the worlds. Isolation, comfort, excellent sound quality (this one depends on the model you choose). Now there are many ciem companies who offers relatively affordable products. For example in the US there is 1964 Ears and Vitaly has a lot of supports here, he is a well respected man. In Europe you can have many but to my mind first comes Cosmic Ears. Check out those companies I am sure you can find something will suit you.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #390 of 1,054

If you can afford go for ciems, you will get the best of the worlds. Isolation, comfort, excellent sound quality (this one depends on the model you choose). Now there are many ciem companies who offers relatively affordable products. For example in the US there is 1964 Ears and Vitaly has a lot of supports here, he is a well respected man. In Europe you can have many but to my mind first comes Cosmic Ears. Check out those companies I am sure you can find something will suit you.

Thank you sir! I think I will hold onto my amperiors and save for CIEMs. 

Do you think a CIEM can rival the SQ of my he-400? In what ways? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back