Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #62 of 1,054
Quote:
Well I popped into the Apple Store after work this evening on Regent Street as Sennheiser had an event on with DJ Sinclar demoing the Amperiors. Tbh, I hadn't really looked too closely at them before, but after trying them with my Fiio E17 for about 30 mins, I was hooked. Amazing lows coupled with excellent mids for such small phones. So the upshot is, I'm now a fledgling owner of a pair of Amp's...
biggrin.gif

My collection is growing and my bank balance decreasing...
Great event tonight by the way chaps, not sure if anyone from here made it along. I did badger one of their marketing bods about getting a portable amp on the market too...!

Congrats!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #65 of 1,054
I have the privilige right now that I work in one of the largest stores with headphones displayed in Antwerp and I get to sell them.
I've had to listen to MDR-R1, Momentum, K550, HD 25-II, SE-MJ591 and others..., and as last Amperior because it only arrived two weeks ago.

Funny thing was since the line-up was full I had to put all three Amperior's on the Sennheiser wall.
It was only because the HD25-II sold out there was another spot and I was able to place it three days ago.

I've listened very quickly once with my S3 and some flac-files.
It sounded pretty well but I was not blown away.
The next day I brought my Leckerton UHA-4 to work because I use it mostly on saturday's when I let customers listen to our better stuff.
(since management has no intention to invest in a proper headphone amp)

I discovered recently that the HD650 sounds really good to my ears, as well as the HD25-II and Momentum when paired with the Leckerton.
So I was expecting the Amperior to do the same.
I hook it up with USB OTG to the DAC-section of the amp.
The HD-25-II was on my mind fitting the headphones and I was really wondering how Sennheiser would verify the price bump.
I was not expecting that much of a difference since a friend of mine has an HD 25-II so I know the sound pretty well.
And to be honest, I like my highs to much and I felt the HD-25 II to be a little recessed there. (but that was the only thing)

I played Rodrigo Y Gabriela: Ppa in flac 16/44.
This is a very rythmic song where timing is essential and the acoustics need to be right to be enjoyed properly. I noticed the somewhat darker sound but more so the increased detail and resolution. 

Immense kick and punch with excellent lows that already showed pretty good control brand-new.
The bass was comparable with HD25-II but maybe a little more clear because of the increased soundstage. 
The mids were meticulate and defined and the highs were close to excellent albeit a little sharp.
It delivered in spades with timing and control and musicality was great.
The soundstage was ok. The MDR-R1 and K550 are in another class.
Spaciousness and resolution are also not in the K550's class. (supra-aural would be surprising to be better there)

I listened to trance and a little hip-hop afterwards and was getting sucked in the music.
I was stunned. It was the first Sennheiser that nailed me to the ground with these types of music.
We just received our Christmas bonus and I knew I was done for.
I wanted to be sure. So I tried the most stress-full songs on my phone to torture it. (Skrillex, Frontline Assembly)
I listen mostly to electronics with head-phones. 
When I played a song and payed attention I found myself lost in the music too soon.
They were so engaging, I could just not stop shaking my head.

I got them with our store discount for 214 euro's.
hehe

p.s. I realize that this impression is from a new headphone but they were so good already I had to share this.
While writing this I was listening to them with the album of Moloko and such.
So distracted.
Took me two hours to get this right :wink:
Damn headphones.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #66 of 1,054
^ awesome story! I'm surprised that they are so overlooked at headfi. They are the very engaging.

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #67 of 1,054
I just got a pair of these, and really enjoying them. I listen to vocal trance most of the time and they got a good balance to the overall sound with a slight emphasis on mid bass. I dont find the highs sharp at all. I guess they are overlooked cause of the huge price difference to the hd 25s. I got mine for £200 ordered from amazon.it and am happy with them.

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #68 of 1,054
Well I've had mine for a fortnight now and can give a bit more detailed feedback...

Firstly the design has grown on me more & more, with the silver aluminium cups and the velour material on the ear cushions - nice to look at and comfortable.
The opening headband design, I've only used it in the 'closed' position as I haven't felt the need to do otherwise - they're pretty stable without mucking around with it. I found them to clamp quite strongly for the first few days, but that has settled down now and they fit well.

Once on, the noise isolation is excellent for a pair of on ears and no complaints in the Office from folk around me regarding noise leakage or any funny looks on the train...
biggrin.gif

Sound wise, i just love the clear bass response from the Amperiors, there's no boomy bass here and overall clarity is excellent. The high's are not overpowered by the mid's or the low end, just decent, good, clear sound with a slight emphasis on bass. I'm very pleased with them and they're my 'go to' pair for travelling as well as work. Music wise, i've tried them with a variety of tracks from 'Greyhound' by Sewdish House Mafia to 'Breath me' by Sia and they really bring the tracks to life.

Used directly from my iPad Mini, the sound is good, but on my iTouch with the E17 - with my fav eq settings, sound is very, very good.
beyersmile.png

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #69 of 1,054
Quote:
I just got a pair of these, and really enjoying them. I listen to vocal trance most of the time and they got a good balance to the overall sound with a slight emphasis on mid bass. I dont find the highs sharp at all. I guess they are overlooked cause of the huge price difference to the hd 25s. I got mine for £200 ordered from amazon.it and am happy with them.

I think you're right about the price turning some people off.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #70 of 1,054
Today I bought mines too. 249 euros in Belgium, they were saying 'hot deal', too hot if you ask me :) Honestly, 300 euros was the normal price and it made me think for another heaphone like v moda m80s which is another legend. or dt1350 for 260 euros.. but when I see amperiors on 250 euros, I gave it demo for a few minutes and purchased.

So far, so good. I can't say anything bad about them. If you are looking for on ear/closed cans, the best allrounder is here. I think they shine in metal and rock but they are also good enough for jazz too.

Successors of legendary HD 25s, 'nough said.

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #73 of 1,054
Yes, jazz sounds good on these. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #75 of 1,054

Can I ask you to post the link where you paid £200?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Amperior

Users who are viewing this thread

Back