Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #46 of 1,054
Quote:

Thanks for these impressions. As these are not available locally for audition, I think I'll take a pass on just those two criteria. So thanks from me and a curse from Sennheiser :)

The search for truly non-fatiguing, excellent wearing-comfort and bass-capable portable headphones continues (please let nobody suggest the DT1350. Been there, done that, didn't work for me).

Ah well, maybe the Momentum is a decent compromise. We'll see. Or hear :)

If you can try an HD 25-II, which many stores stock, that'll give you a great indication of what the Amperior sounds like - from what I understand the Amperior and HD 25-II sound pretty much the same. :)

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #47 of 1,054
I've found the Amperior to be just fine for long term listening.  My biggest issue is that they don't play very nice with glasses.  For real comfort I'd have to take off my glasses.  Hard to do in most cases.  Hopefully I'll get the second bit of my review up before the year ends. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #49 of 1,054
Just a discovered that the Amperior's remote with works with YouTube videos on iDevices - very useful.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #50 of 1,054
Thought I'd jump in here since I'm still on the fence about these. I got mine on the 3rd and, for some reason related to the fact that I used their order online pick up in store system, I have until the 27th to return them (I called to make sure this wasn't a glitch. Apparently even if it is they have to honor what the return system tells me).

I definitely think $350 is too much. I got to try a regular HD25 the other day and I have to say it was hard for me to determine much significant difference (warning: I am not qualified to judge high end headphones properly). Tyll at innerfidelity definitely heard a difference, but I am definitely not able to make those kinds of distinctions at this point in my wastinginvesting-money-in-headphones career.

I'm not saying I don't like the sound, I actually really do. It is a bit... I'm going to use the word aggressive, but I have enjoyed it so far. And that's not a bad sound signature for use out in the noisy world, which is what I got these for. I'm trying to replace IEMs in my daily usage as they've really started to bother my ears. These seem like a great candidate thanks to their decent sound isolation and striking sound signature. They're also much less likely to become disgusting sweat-covered sponges compared to any of the over-ear phones I've tried.

Comfort is also an issue for me; the clamping force on the ears just isn't enjoyable. I am definitely starting to adapt to it though. In fact I spent a couple hours last night listening to them in a silent environment at a fairly low volume, and my impressions were really good. My ears still didn't feel great after I took them off.

The main problem is that pretty much everything I've said so far could just as easily apply to the HD25. I feel like I've payed $350 for something I could get for $200. To be honest if these had been $250, a slight increase from the HD25, I'd probably feel like that was an okay markup for the differences in materials. I'm really resisting returning them even though I know I should, and it's entirely possible that I'll go pick up a pair of HD25s if I do. I wish I had a way to test a pair of HD25 for a longer period of time without buying yet another headphone... my short comparison time wasn't sufficient to get a real perspective on any differences.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #51 of 1,054
Hi, guys just to voice my opinion. I have had these for a couple months and the definitely feel more comfortable than when when i first purchased them, I'm not sure if that's just down to me getting used to them though (I do wear glasses by the way). The bass also feels more 'tight' now. I am surprised that these do not get that much love on theses forums but I guess that's more down to price as £259.95 is a little over priced. I am happy with my pair though.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #52 of 1,054
Well, the lower cable on my Amperiors that I was so concerned about has a short in them, so I purchased a custom Canare HD-25 replacement cable off eBay. I haven't installed it yet, but it's a much better quality cable than the stock one.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #53 of 1,054
I listened to the Amperior and B&W P5 today.

The P5s really surprised me just how good they really are. I honestly thought they were all image no substance.

But the Amperior were in a different class. So I took them home :) they are seriously impressive. They don't need amping and work terrifically from my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. Real quality.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #54 of 1,054
Joining the Amperior fan club here, I got them about 2 weeks ago and can now comfortably say that I am keeping them indefinitely. They sound amazing, look very nice (got the silver version) and are quite comfortable for me. I wear glasses but I have found a good fit that rests just below the area where my glasses rest and therefore, no discomfort to speak of. I also think they clamp a little less than the standard HD25 and the velour is softer than the velour replacement pads for the HD25.

The sound is fantastic and the aluminium housing definitely does decrease resonance/driver ringing in these headphones. The difference, when compared to a normal HD25-1 II is fairly subtle but for long listening sessions, the Amperior wins hands down. A very neutral yet punchy sound, with the bass just slightly elevated, but without feeling unnatural. The bass is so tight and powerful, really top of class.

Are they worth the extra 150$ over the standard HD25-1 II? Well... no. The sound difference is there but it is pretty subtle and many people might not even notice it. With this said, if you get a chance to get them for cheaper or second-hand, I say go for it!

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #55 of 1,054
Quote:
Are they worth the extra 150$ over the standard HD25-1 II? Well... no. The sound difference is there but it is pretty subtle and many people might not even notice it. With this said, if you get a chance to get them for cheaper or second-hand, I say go for it!

I think this price different is totally worth, at least for me that thanks to the low impedance, all my portable devices like nano or ip4s can drive it well. Now I can enjoy the wonderful sound everywhere I go to.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #56 of 1,054
^ x2

They are easily worth the extra price for me as well. In fact, I don't think the 25s would satisfy me anymore after hearing these.

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #60 of 1,054
Well I popped into the Apple Store after work this evening on Regent Street as Sennheiser had an event on with DJ Sinclar demoing the Amperiors. Tbh, I hadn't really looked too closely at them before, but after trying them with my Fiio E17 for about 30 mins, I was hooked. Amazing lows coupled with excellent mids for such small phones. So the upshot is, I'm now a fledgling owner of a pair of Amp's...:D

My collection is growing and my bank balance decreasing...

Great event tonight by the way chaps, not sure if anyone from here made it along. I did badger one of their marketing bods about getting a portable amp on the market too...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back