Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #631 of 1,054
you mean the m16 is more accurate and reliable, right?

I think it's more along the lines of the M16 works better in the best of conditions. No mud or dirt or any element you can name to interfere with the gun and it'll run amazing. But bring it to a jungle, you may run into some problems.

And while the AK47 is a good gun, it is inferior to the M16 in the way of being top quality, while it works better in harsher conditions and can come through at the worst of times when you need it most.

Both are amazing, but two different uses. Pretty good analogy if you ask me.

Do you guys find that running these things with something like a Fiio E17 they sound better or not much of a difference?

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #632 of 1,054
As a portable can connected to a smartphone, I haven't yet found an equal to these. They have a perfect blend of punchiness, immediacy & excitement balanced by warmth, clarity and refinement. They dont lack in either subbass or treble extension either & image well for their soundstage size so its hard to fault them technically. Other, newer cans I've tried like the Beyer T51p, or circumaurals like the B&W P7, Bang & Olufsen H6 or NAD HP50, may be better in individual attributes such as treble refinement or soundstage size, but overall cannot provide the same level of engagement with the music mixed in with naturalness of Sennheiser's midrange & fast, meaty bass.

At least thats my experience driving them from a Galaxy Note 2 with Neutron Player.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #633 of 1,054
As a portable can connected to a smartphone, I haven't yet found an equal to these. They have a perfect blend of punchiness, immediacy & excitement balanced by warmth, clarity and refinement. They dont lack in either subbass or treble extension either & image well for their soundstage size so its hard to fault them technically. Other, newer cans I've tried like the Beyer T51p, or circumaurals like the B&W P7, Bang & Olufsen H6 or NAD HP50, may be better in individual attributes such as treble refinement or soundstage size, but overall cannot provide the same level of engagement with the music mixed in with naturalness of Sennheiser's midrange & fast, meaty bass.

At least thats my experience driving them from a Galaxy Note 2 with Neutron Player.

Better than the hd25 and than the over ear momentums? (I have both by the way..…ive been thinking of getting the amperior and selling the momentums though.... I lobe them but the confort kills me.... Not the hs25s are much better but ar least they seal perfectly)

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #634 of 1,054
  Just received the Oyaide cables. After wrestling with them for a while, I got them installed and it's looking and sounding good. At first I didn't realize that the connectors had a "hot" side and a "cold" side so at first I tried to force them in the other way and then realized that it was the other way around. I was worried that I might have broken it but it seems to be working fine.

Mind to post mini review or impression. Wondering if it's a big or small changes in the SQ.

Better than the hd25 and than the over ear momentums? (I have both by the way..…ive been thinking of getting the amperior and selling the momentums though.... I lobe them but the confort kills me.... Not the hs25s are much better but ar least they seal perfectly)

I'm interested with Momentum on ear previously but I read even a guy with a small ear having problem with the ear cups. And Momentum is less energy and bass than Amperior. I think I read this previously at Momentum thread. Maybe Momentum vs Amperior will help.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #635 of 1,054
They are slightly more refined than the stock HD-25 Adidas edition that I had, even after changing out the steel cable for a SPC copper cable on the HD-25, but a bit heavier and less comfortable due to added clamping force. As for the Over-ear Momentums, they sound better when I amp them or listen to them on my home rig, especially in terms of the bass, it clears up and tightens. From my Note 2, the Amperior sounds better because the bass is under better control & more impactful (also helped by the on-ear design vs the over-ear). You can look at the bass distortion characteristics on Inner fidelity to see what I mean.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentum.pdf

and

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserAmperior.pdf

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #638 of 1,054
They are slightly more refined than the stock HD-25 Adidas edition that I had, even after changing out the steel cable for a SPC copper cable on the HD-25, but a bit heavier and less comfortable due to added clamping force. As for the Over-ear Momentums, they sound better when I amp them or listen to them on my home rig, especially in terms of the bass, it clears up and tightens. From my Note 2, the Amperior sounds better because the bass is under better control & more impactful (also helped by the on-ear design vs the over-ear). You can look at the bass distortion characteristics on Inner fidelity to see what I mean.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentum.pdf

and

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserAmperior.pdf

To you wich is the better headphone? The hd25, the amperior or the over ear momentum?

Right now i have a paiir of over easr momentuma and hd25s, i love both in terms of sound and to be honest if i had to choose one i would not know wich one to pick (maybe the momentum)..... The proble is.... None of them is very confortable..... I was thinking of maybe selling the momentums and the hd25 and maybe get myselgf a pair of amperiors for outside use and a pair of hd598s for home use.... But i dont know since i only drive my headphones through portable devices like my nexus 7 or my 4th hen ipod touch with no amps.
I really love the sound of thw momentums but they will never be even near of over ear to me...

Is the amperior good to the point of making me sell my hd25s and get them? I was thinking it would be a improvement in terms of sound and confort because of the velour pads.....

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #639 of 1,054
Hey Pedro,

I went through a similar debate when I had my HD25's....

I kept re-reading Ty's innerfedility review on the Amperiors, and it made it sound like they were a HUUUUGGGGGEEEE LEAP in sound quality over the HD25's.... 

and hey, maybe the graphs/numbers/charts show that they are, but I didn't find it to be an OOOHHH MYYY GOOOODDDDDD experience. Better than the HD25's?  yep, and a little different too. but not tttthhhhaaattttttt much.

If anyone disagrees, please let me know. I'm very open minded on this. After all I would like to believe that my Amperiors justified me selling my HD25's at a loss :)

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #640 of 1,054
Drive Amperior from my Note 2, Xperia ZL and Fiio X3 without problem unamped. I think no problem for Nexus 7 and iPod.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #642 of 1,054
Hey Pedro,

I went through a similar debate when I had my HD25's....

I kept re-reading Ty's innerfedility review on the Amperiors, and it made it sound like they were a HUUUUGGGGGEEEE LEAP in sound quality over the HD25's.... 

and hey, maybe the graphs/numbers/charts show that they are, but I didn't find it to be an OOOHHH MYYY GOOOODDDDDD experience. Better than the HD25's?  yep, and a little different too. but not tttthhhhaaattttttt much.

If anyone disagrees, please let me know. I'm very open minded on this. After all I would like to believe that my Amperiors justified me selling my HD25's at a loss :)

So what would you advise me LAmitchell? :)
What about the confort? Big improvement? To be honest i like the all black look of the 25s and the strong steel cable.... :-D

Different but for good? Wjat are the differences in sound?

Do the cups get scratches easily?

Thanks m8.....

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #643 of 1,054
  Trying to decide a good portable set of cans to use at the gym. Would the amperiors be able to fulfill my wishes? Does anyone use their amperiors when working out?

It would be pretty hot if you do wear the Amperiors at the gym. Although, the double head band can keep them on your head pretty well during exercise.
I just use a Philip bluetooth headphone in the gym, no cable to tangle! Sound quality is just so so, loads of bloated bass, but hey, that is for the gym!
Why not! 

For anyone who are thinking of the HD26, think about an extra amp first. I bought the Amperior was because the HD25 is a bit power-hungry for small
devices. I can even drive the Amperior with the 1st Gen iPod nano with no problem at all. 

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #644 of 1,054

It would be pretty hot if you do wear the Amperiors at the gym. Although, the double head band can keep them on your head pretty well during exercise.
I just use a Philip bluetooth headphone in the gym, no cable to tangle! Sound quality is just so so, loads of bloated bass, but hey, that is for the gym!
Why not! 

For anyone who are thinking of the HD26, think about an extra amp first. I bought the Amperior was because the HD25 is a bit power-hungry for small
devices. I can even drive the Amperior with the 1st Gen iPod nano with no problem at all. 

HD25 vs amperiors? Ur impressions pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese...... :)

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #645 of 1,054
So what would you advise me LAmitchell? :)
What about the confort? Big improvement? To be honest i like the all black look of the 25s and the strong steel cable.... :-D

Different but for good? Wjat are the differences in sound?

Do the cups get scratches easily?

Thanks m8.....

Hey Pedro...

Comfort.... bout the same

Improvement.... slight advantage on the amperior with a sweeter sounding treble

Looks.... yeah, I agree with ya: the ALL BLACK of the HD25's looks so good, and so does the one piece cable

Cups scratches.... my Amperior cups are a little bit scratched, yes

They're both sooooo close though in terms of pros/cons, I would get the cheapest one I could find, although if I had it to do all over again, I would get the HD25's for the above reasons :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back