Sennheiser AKG or Bose?
Nov 29, 2010 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Sealman799

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I'm a college student who listens to a ton of music/watches a lot of movies whose looking for his first high-end set of headphones.  These would mostly be used in my dorm and traveling.  The only real 'decent' headphone I've used is the Bose QC 15.  I like the noise canceling but I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not.  Could any of you guys point me towards a headphone (around ear) that could fit my needs? also one that could be used with an iPhone 4? 

Evan.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 13
The sennheiser hd555/595 is quite good with movies and is fairly easy to drive. What is your budget?

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 13
I was looking at those, but from what I read I wan't sure if I would have to get an amp.  My Budget is around 300-350 dollars.  I would mostly use them with my computer (MacBook Pro) but also with an iPhone 4.

I was looking for something with a little noise isolation since I listen to music and stuff when I study in the library and when I travel.  I like everything from classic rock to hip hop, but I mostly listen to mash-ups and mixtapes so a good amount of bass, but I also love my clarity.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 13
You don't have to get an amp for the hd555/595. It certainly helps though. When I had the hd595, my itouch could easily drive them, though the phones sounded a bit lifeless compared to being driven with an amp.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 13
The 555a are actually easy to drive and should perfectly be fine without an amp With $300 there are plenty of options..you might want to check into iems because they seem to fit what you are looking for..try the search engine as well
Hope this helps

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 13
Okay, if I was going to amp them what kind of amp could I get? also is there a big difference between the 595 and the 650? 

I'm sure this is a really dumb question but.. what are iems? I googled it and I couldn't come up with anything.. sorry 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 13
IEMs- in ear monitors, also known as in ear headphones. A cheap amp that works well with the hd595 is the electric avenues pa2v2. The 650 is of much higher quality than the 555/595, though it is much harder to drive.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Okay, if I was going to amp them what kind of amp could I get? also is there a big difference between the 595 and the 650? 

I'm sure this is a really dumb question but.. what are iems? I googled it and I couldn't come up with anything.. sorry 
tongue_smile.gif

iems= in ear monitors ..they're like earbuds but block out noise..
I've heard that there is a significant difference between the two but the 650s will definitely need an amp so I would suggest not getting them cuz a decent amp might cost you as much as the headphones if not more
If you do an easy mod on the 555s..they basically become 595s cuz they use the same drivers..just search sennheiser hd555 foam mod and you'll see what I mean

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 13
I was also going to suggest IEMs. You'll find all sorts of information in the Portable Forum here.

Full-sized open headphones are wonderful, but they're not easily driven by an iPhone and not well suited to travel. IEMs will block noise and are easily driven. $300 or so will get you a nice pair, as well.

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 13
Okay so I did a little research and thinking and decided I want some noise canceling headphones.  I already have a set of the bose in-ear headphones so I want some bigger around ear headphones.. I was looking at the Sennheiser PXC 450's, and the bose QC 15's.  I want noise canceling because of studying and traveling etc. but if I ran the 555/595 with an amp would they be nearly as good as a noise canceling set? if not what noise canceling headphones should I look at?

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Okay so I did a little research and thinking and decided I want some noise canceling headphones.  I already have a set of the bose in-ear headphones so I want some bigger around ear headphones.. I was looking at the Sennheiser PXC 450's, and the bose QC 15's.  I want noise canceling because of studying and traveling etc. but if I ran the 555/595 with an amp would they be nearly as good as a noise canceling set? if not what noise canceling headphones should I look at?

You sure about the NR?  I haven't heard one that sounded good - active NR has a way of removing things you do want to hear.  Only passive NR, like in IEMs, retains great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back