Sennheiser 598, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium, or other?
Oct 10, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #17 of 37
Interesting...I feel I made a mistake in ordering the 702 instead of the q701 or the 880... Which one would u recommend for gaming?

All three are great for gaming due to the large sound stage they all have.  The K702 has the biggest sound stage of the bunch.  You might want more bass in explosions and stuff though.

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #19 of 37
But is the difference in sound stage worth $100?

How would u compare those to the ad700x which I currently own?

I've never heard the AD700X, but I owned the A900X (closed back version of its bigger brother) for about a year.  They seem to have the same sound tuning.  

The DT 880 is more neutral thus will have noticeably more bass presence.  Expect much better bass extension, slightly better treble extension, much better instrument separation, more detail.  The treble and/or bass can sound very harsh on certain bad recordings.

They should all be devoid of any nasalish qualitys in vocals that's noticeable in Audio Technica headphones.  I can't speak for the AKGs since I've never heard them, but I would expect more detail and much better instrument separation with the Q701 and K702, and better bass extension with the Q701.  The difference in sound stage between the K702 and Q701 shouldn't be huge since they're very similar headphones, so I doubt that aspect alone is worth an extra $100.

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #20 of 37
But is the difference in sound stage worth $100?

How would u compare those to the ad700x which I currently own?

AD700x has the biggest soundstage.  701 may equal or possibly exceed it in width, but not overall.

If someone wants to argue about that, I think that person and I would wind up agreeing they are both really big.

You'll notice in that linked 702 review that on soundstage he says it's wide but linear.  I have a couple 701s, and they sound kind of 2-D.  I use it on a 900+mw@32 amp, and also on my big old receiver that doesn't have a rating but makes things sound great.  Some people say really powerful amps help that, some people say they don't.  Other people say, "What do you mean they sound 2-D?"  lol.

DT990 has a smaller soundstage left-right than those. Not by much, but I can tell when I A-B them.  And it's more global, like the AD700x.   DT880 is said to have a smaller stage than DT990, but I don't know.  I haven't caught the right deal on a DT880 so don't have one to compare.  If Beyerdynamic wants to send me one, because Beyerdynamic is wunderbar, I'll be happy to compare them. 
biggrin.gif

All of these are some of the biggest soundstages you can get, so once you're in that zone of "it's big," other factors become more of a concern such as sound quality, pads, weight, etc.  Obviously price is also a factor.  

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #21 of 37
im starting to understand a little.  My main concern is gaming with music and so forth being obviously important in general.  i just got a mayflower o2 / odac and its been awesome on my ad700x but i feel its not producing enough depth and imagery, if those were the correct terms.  im looking for a very large sound stage and attention to details concerning directional audio for say "footsteps" and such in gaming.  I ordered the dt880, the q701, and k702 and they will be here this monday, so im hoping to test them all out and get an idea as to which meets my expectations the best.  

im also not to familiar,since its been a long time since i got back into computer and such, but i hear some people say for gaming a sound card is preferred to an dac/amp combo.  is this true? and as far as gaming goes is there a "best" setup in the current time, since a lot of review and such are from years ago and its hard to be "up to date".  

finally, ive been interested in using razer surround for gaming and dont know if that is a good supplement to the mix.  

any information or views is appreciated because its just too hard to find the right information for me.

ty

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #22 of 37
AD700x isn't the best at imagery since it's kind of diffused.  The DT990 or Q701, sound comes from "right there."  AD700x sound is more "from somewhere over there."  I guess that still should be plenty good for gaming since you probably don't need pinpoint accuracy, but I'm not a hardcore gamer at all.  

That diffusion can have its own charm for music and movie watching, but of course is technically inferior.

I think Razer Surround is pretty nice, especially for free.  It's not as surround sounding as the Dolby Headphone on my Xonar DG card, but it sure sounds more natural and enjoyable.  But, people usually use that kind of thing for the surround effect, not for how enjoyable the sound is.  Try the Razer, the no-options version is free.

And that's the reason I prefer the DT990 over the other headphones mentioned in this thread.  The soundstage isn't quite as big as AD700x, but it's still really big, and it sounds great.  I do eq the bass and treble down a little.

Oct 10, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #23 of 37
AKG Q701 would be an excellent choice! I had it and it's lovely for gaming. Amp is needed tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back