Sennheiser 598, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium, or other?
Oct 10, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #31 of 37
There's the different ohm ratings, and then Pro or Premium.  Premium has the nicer grills, non-coiled cable, and a lighter clamp.  The only sound difference for the same ohm rating is any difference from the clamping force and possibly if the grills make a difference from letting more or less air in or something. Doubt it, but I suppose anything is possible, especially if someone has golden ears.

The only Pro/Premium difference in sound I can think of seeing mentioned is due to the clamping force, with more clamp = more bass.  I extend the headband of my Pro farther out so it doesn't clamp as hard, and amount of bass has nothing to do with it.  So I think sound difference between Pro and Premium of the same ohms shouldn't be a concern.  Could also just bend the headband for more or less clamp. note: not recommended and may void warranty. 
biggrin.gif

I guess the Pro only comes in 250 ohm.  

250 needs a decent amp.  600 ohm needs a bigger amp.   A review around here says the 32 actually needs more amp than the 250 does.  I've seen other people say 32 is easier to drive.  I would assume the 32 is easier to drive, but I don't know. I only have the 250 Pro. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #34 of 37
Just to be clear, cause I read it all the time. There is no such thing as  a DT 990 "Premium" or DT 880 "Premium". They are called "Edition". Its even stated on their website.

Now, as already mentioned, the only difference between the Pro and the Edition variants is the clamp and cable and with the 990 the driver housing which may or may not have some effects on the sound. I only had the 990 Pro, so I cant comment on that. I had both the 880 Pro and Edition at the same time and was a/b-ing them. No noticable sonic differences, except for the clamp, but that holds true for every headphone.

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #35 of 37
  Just to be clear, cause I read it all the time. There is no such thing as  a DT 990 "Premium" or DT 880 "Premium". They are called "Edition". Its even stated on their website.

That is technically true.  However, on Beyer's site, the first sentence in the description says either "Professional Headphone" or "Premium Headphone."

More importantly, if you tell people to go to various popular websites and buy the DT990 "Edition" or DT880 "Edition," they'll come back later asking you what you're talking about because they only see "Pro" and "Premium" versions for sale.

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #36 of 37
so i got all the headphones in and tested them all out with music and gaming.  i finally chose to keep the q701 by akg.  i felt it suited me the best for gaming and music and was, for me, an all around more complete headphone than the others imo.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back