Sennheiser 598, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium, or other?
Oct 7, 2015 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

TheAudiophobe

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here so please go easy on me 
normal_smile .gif

I'm looking for some new open headphones with a big sound stage and great directionality. I play a lot of games but mostly CS:GO. Through what I have seen it looked like the Sennheiser 598 would be a really nice choice but, after talking to my friends I also have started looking at the Beyerdynamics. I also looked at the Audio Technica 700x but they look a little uncomfortable and since, I will be wearing these for long periods of time, I need them to be comfortable. I also listen to a fair bit of music, mostly alternative but I listen to a lot of different genres.
So my question is, is there anything else for that price that could be really good for me? And if you had to chose between the two which ones would you recommenced 

Will really appreciate any support

Thanks

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 37
The HD558 is the best value. The 700x I've never heard, but @PurpleAngel could chime in on that. The Beyerdynamics are more v-shaped, with sucked out mids, but they need an amp. Any of them probably would work fine, just check for a return policy.

More specifically, what do you want from your headphones? Is strong bass a priority? Is brighter treble okay? Have you had other headphones before that you've liked/disliked as a comparison?

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 37
  The HD558 is the best value. The 700x I've never heard, but @PurpleAngel could chime in on that. The Beyerdynamics are more v-shaped, with sucked out mids, but they need an amp. Any of them probably would work fine, just check for a return policy.

More specifically, what do you want from your headphones? Is strong bass a priority? Is brighter treble okay? Have you had other headphones before that you've liked/disliked as a comparison?

I'm currently using sennheiser pc 350se closed backs and they are pretty nice, just want something with a bit better of a sound stage and also  these ones are getting a little warn. Strong bass isn't really a great priority, if I am honest a pretty even would probably be quite good for me. I have also used the RHA t20's (In-ear) and I quite like them. 
I do have a Focusrite scarlet solo for my Mic which I am hoping will work as an amp, am I right there?

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 37
Going by reputation, the DT 990 has the biggest sound stage out of the headphones you listed.

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #10 of 37
  I think I'm set on the 990's then
What's the difference between the pro's and the premium's?

Clamp.  And one has nicer grills than the other.  And Pro has a coiled cable.  I hate the coiled cables on some headphones.  But the Pro's isn't too bad.

I think the DT990 Pro is one of the best deals in audio.  I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention around here.  Maybe because a lot of people refuse to use any eq if the bass or treble is too strong.

Apparently in various countries, the DT880 and DT990 are the same price, so maybe that's part of it.  In the U.S., the DT990 is priced lower than the DT880.

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #11 of 37
why are the 880s more than the 990s?

i was thinking about trying them out but im not sure if theres a huge difference between them and the k702 i ordered to test...right now im using the ad700x and theyre pretty good so far.

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 37
  why are the 880s more than the 990s?

i was thinking about trying them out but im not sure if theres a huge difference between them and the k702 i ordered to test...right now im using the ad700x and theyre pretty good so far.

I guess because the DT 880 has a more neutral sound signature and they get away with charging more for that.  

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 37
  how does the 990 or 880 compare to the k702?

K702 vs DT 880:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_K702

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_DT880

I've never heard the K702 or DT 990, but the DT 990 has a V-shaped sound signature (boosted bass and treble, recessed mids).  The DT 880 is extremely neutral.  The K702 is known to be bass-light and analytical.

Also consider the AKG Q701 which has a signature that appeals to more people than the K702.  Give this a read:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/752994/my-akg-comparison-k7xx-k712-65th-annies-and-the-rest-to-stop-this-confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back