SennGrado Thread
Apr 3, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #406 of 518
  @chontler, nice work and interesting use of substitute / alternate parts
beerchug.gif

Do you have a close up picture of mini-xlr in the cup?  I stayed with SMC since they are small and don't intrude into the cup much, wondering if and how much it might impact the sound

Yeah, np.  I found them to be very generous with space.  I've used rca, 3.5 jack and SMA before and these have been the best imo.  Another hardware tip, it you want a snug fit, checkout the drainage section.  Find a mid sized angle connector - they have removable end caps that are just flexible enough.  Cut a slice out to squeeze to the desired circumference.  Works a treat.  The only mild annoyance was that hex-nut was wider than I figured so had to cut a place for that - of course that depends on the depth of your barrel.

This is the current SMA on my 325s.  Bit of a messy job tbh - it was my first mod.  I'd replace them with xlrs, but like the brass nut too much.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #408 of 518
  @chontler, thanks for the pictures, nice use of the pvc pipe section, great ideas for the next time I take apart on of my SennGrados

If you want the pipe black, just look for some ABS plastic drain pipes.  ABS pipes are a bit harder to find than PCV, but would save you time from having to paint it black to cover the white pipe..

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #409 of 518

If you want the pipe black, just look for some ABS plastic drain pipes.  ABS pipes are a bit harder to find than PCV, but would save you time from having to paint it black to cover the white pipe..

Thanks for the correction, I was thinking about the color and remembered that drains are ABS, not PVC, getting old here
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #410 of 518
Hey guys, how would you compare the sound of the Senngrados to the SR325? Is it "better" or just different? (Like HD 600 vs higher-end Grado eg.)

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #411 of 518
Hey guys, how would you compare the sound of the Senngrados to the SR325? Is it "better" or just different? (Like HD 600 vs higher-end Grado eg.)

Hard to give a definitive answer since there are so many variables at play; driver, cup shape, wood type, finish of interior of cup, ear pads used, etc.

I've built 3 and they all sound different but as a whole I like all them better than my HD-600, best sounding one is even better than my RS2e to me.

FWIW, I've had the SR-325e, didn't care for it, just too bright/harsh for me.

This is one where YMMV really applies.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #412 of 518
I have my own sennGrado build and a 325e. When the 325e was burning in there was a large difference but lately I can't find much between them.

The sennGrado brings some extra texture to the sound of a piano or a trumpet, it's a little more organic or live sounding but it's subtle.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #413 of 518
  I have my own sennGrado build and a 325e. When the 325e was burning in there was a large difference but lately I can't find much between them.

The sennGrado brings some extra texture to the sound of a piano or a trumpet, it's a little more organic or live sounding but it's subtle.

Have you done any mods to the SennGrado?  I've been using dynamat, sorbothane and some felt to tailor the sound

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #415 of 518

No they sound so good, I've left them as they are. I haven't even put a proper cable on them. They still have the px100-ii original cable.
frown.gif

Try some dynamat in the cups, I've had good results with a strip about 6-10mm wide going right around the cup, as close to where you seat the drivers, really brings be bass level up, and its good quality bass, never loose or muddy.

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #416 of 518
I'd assume the ones I bought have that as well @DavidA as the bass really reminds me of the HE400.  The only thing I might want to do is research what the most comfortable earpads are.  I know with my SR80i  the comfort difference between the stock pads and the HD414 yellow pads was amazing.  It went from a few minutes before my ears hurt to several hours.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #417 of 518
  I'd assume the ones I bought have that as well @DavidA as the bass really reminds me of the HE400.  The only thing I might want to do is research what the most comfortable earpads are.  I know with my SR80i  the comfort difference between the stock pads and the HD414 yellow pads was amazing.  It went from a few minutes before my ears hurt to several hours.

If you peek inside the cup you should be able to see the dynamat, see picture:

As for pads, I've been happy with the Grado L pads, they will get uncomfortable after an hour or two for me, but give the best sound to me.  I also have G pads, more comfortable but starts to kill the bass too much for my liking.  Also tried some Ear Zonks L and G pads, not as well constructed as the Grado pads and don't sound as good, but a little softer so a bit better comfort wise.

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #418 of 518
  Hard to give a definitive answer since there are so many variables at play; driver, cup shape, wood type, finish of interior of cup, ear pads used, etc.

I've built 3 and they all sound different but as a whole I like all them better than my HD-600, best sounding one is even better than my RS2e to me.

FWIW, I've had the SR-325e, didn't care for it, just too bright/harsh for me.

This is one where YMMV really applies.

I haven't heard any of the new "e" series drivers yet.  I did have the SR-325i though and also felt it had a lot of "higher end" energy that was too intense.  Also, the aluminum cups added weight, which led to discomfort when wearing for too long of a period of time.

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #419 of 518
  Hi,
I thought I'd give this mod a go.  Using the px100ii drivers - they seem to really distort on the bass on anything more powerful than my iPhone.
Is this to be expected, or did I get a duff set?

Same with mine...JoeDoe is checking to see if my drivers are bad or not....pretty disappointing TBH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back