SennGrado Thread
Dec 8, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #347 of 518

Very creative! 

The first cups I made were out of a pepper grinder but they didn't turn out as nice as yours. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #350 of 518
I don't make cables, I usually find someone to make mine for me.

How do you like the SQ of your SennGrado's?

I like them better than my Alumodded SR60i with 10 hole punched.
My SennGrado has the Bass I have been looking for so long with the Grado SR series.
I have been A/B-ing them with a stock SR325 the other day, bass is much fuller and the highs I am loving it.

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #351 of 518

You have been creating Grado FWJs, I'm a poor guy so my mods are cheap. What can you say about the idea of creating cups out of bamboo? When I say bamboo it will be full bamboo tubes not the LCD style.

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #354 of 518
  Have you tried auditioning the RS1 and GS1000? Take the tape off, just leave the Blu-tack and let it do its magic on the back of the driver. Pushing the driver further inside the cup will also reduce Bass and will gain some HF, resist from pushing to much i recommend 2mm max.

The only shop that carries Grado cans where I live only has the sr series on site. I would have to order the higher end models to be able to listen to them & that isn't in the budget for a long while. I'll remove the tape in a week when I plan to have the drivers out again & listen to the result. The position of the driver(s) on this set will have to remain the same- since there is an imperfection in one of the cups that makes fitting a ring a pain. What if I make a ring to fit between the pad & the cup? if the goal is to put some space between my ear & the driver, that might work. I also must consider the cord is a detachable that I just put together, so that might need some "burn-in" time. The new cups should be ready for sanding by this weekend- mahogany with similar dimensions- for the purpose of comparing wood types. 
Thanks Newbie– Your senngrados are looking nice– keep the suggestions coming.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #355 of 518
  Hello there-
  I put together the senngrados I've been working on & I think I need some advice on tuning these. My first impression was not one of amazement– I've never owned a grado model above the various sr80's, but my woodied pair really impressed me as a definite improvement. I can only say that my woodied px100ii drivers are a slight improvement over the prefab pair that I have been using with a very basic l cush mod. What I have been hearing is an excess of bass. The articulation of most highs is far more subtle than I am used to. Admittedly, I need more time to get over the first few listens, & rock recordings still sound good, so there's potential. But what to do?

one solution I found was to cover vent holes (please excuse the webcam photos)– half of them are taped over with more planned. If it helps to know, the inner dimensions are  close to those I used for my grado mod. 
any ideas where I might have "fudged" these?

thanks in advance for any replies

Another thing to consider is that the PX100ii drivers vary, I've built 3 SennGrados and they all sound different, one has too much bass as you described while the others are much more balanced.  I've tried some dynamat in the cup right behind the driver and it seems to help reduce the bass without affecting the highs.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #356 of 518

Hello there-
  I put together the senngrados I've been working on & I think I need some advice on tuning these. My first impression was not one of amazement– I've never owned a grado model above the various sr80's, but my woodied pair really impressed me as a definite improvement. I can only say that my woodied px100ii drivers are a slight improvement over the prefab pair that I have been using with a very basic l cush mod. What I have been hearing is an excess of bass. The articulation of most highs is far more subtle than I am used to. Admittedly, I need more time to get over the first few listens, & rock recordings still sound good, so there's potential. But what to do?

thanks in advance for any replies

Another thing to consider is that the PX100ii drivers vary, I've built 3 SennGrados and they all sound different, one has too much bass as you described while the others are much more balanced. 

+1

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #357 of 518

Thanks man! What can you say about using UTP cable as headphone cable?made mine out of CAT5e. I am resoldering a braided 8conductor(24awg) cable out of it. Will 4 conductor 24awg enough?

4 conductor 24 awg cable is more than enough, any bigger and it gets hard to work with and can get stiff.  I like using Canare or Mogami star-quad cable, 24 or 26 awg, a nice balance between weight and conductor size.
The new 8 conductor cable on my SR225e and RS2e was way to stiff and heavy, redid them with 26 awg Mogami and SMC connectors (Hifiman) to make them removable, see pict below:

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #358 of 518
  Another thing to consider is that the PX100ii drivers vary, I've built 3 SennGrados and they all sound different, one has too much bass as you described while the others are much more balanced.  I've tried some dynamat in the cup right behind the driver and it seems to help reduce the bass without affecting the highs.

Thanks guys. I have a second set of px100ii's that I was using as a reference even before the mod. They were very similar. the bass was different, but that is because I cut away eight of those plastic bits that are on the shield/ encasement. I also cut away part of the center. The result: less punch... more of a thud- again not a drastic change. I recommend anyone with an unmodded set put a pair of l cushes on them & have a listen. The bass takes form instead of just kicking you in the head & the highs become a little bit harder to place, but are still present. Not much difference for most classical.
  I'll try putting something (blue tack?) behind the driver in a week or so. 
  The senngrado is my second mod, and my first was just weeks before, so I realize these are works in progress. If anything, the grado driver ends up looking pretty decent at this point. I made a cringeworthy mistake with the mahogany cups today- cut right into the inner chamber with a handsaw
eek.gif
.salvageable- maybe.​

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #359 of 518

Thanks guys. I have a second set of px100ii's that I was using as a reference even before the mod. They were very similar. the bass was different, but that is because I cut away eight of those plastic bits that are on the shield/ encasement. I also cut away part of the center. The result: less punch... more of a thud- again not a drastic change. I recommend anyone with an unmodded set put a pair of l cushes on them & have a listen. The bass takes form instead of just kicking you in the head & the highs become a little bit harder to place, but are still present. Not much difference for most classical.
  I'll try putting something (blue tack?) behind the driver in a week or so. 
  The senngrado is my second mod, and my first was just weeks before, so I realize these are works in progress. If anything, the grado driver ends up looking pretty decent at this point. I made a cringeworthy mistake with the mahogany cups today- cut right into the inner chamber with a handsaw
eek.gif
.salvageable- maybe.​

I have a 4th PX100ii driver and it sounds different from the 3 that I used, bass heavy and recessed mids, worst of the three that I used.  I've been buying used headphones for the drivers so this may also be a issue to the variability between them?

I also tried my SR-60i and SR-225e driver in one of the wood cups and they were not bad sounding but miss some of the bass and the highs seem rolled off

Hope you didn't damage the cup too badly
redface.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #360 of 518
I just wanna say I just finished my first pair of SennGrado's, and as soon as I put it on my head and turned on the music my reaction was "oh my!". I have a lot more listing to do, but wow, I like these. Bass is pretty strong, almost overwhelming for some songs, and lower mids are also strong, but such a lush, clear sound. Very V shaped; very fun! These might replace my RS2e at work.

I used cherry cups from 7keys, earzonk L cushion pads, Mogami W2799 stripped to the core wires simply fed through paracord, a Rean NYS231G 3.5mm connector, and finally a 
Vivitar Dj Mixers Foldable Black Headband. I would much prefer a Grado headband, but not sure it's worth $40-60 to get one, but might be :)

I scratched the cup a little, so I gotta figure out how to fix that, but other than that, these are pretty darned good cans. Even better with the crossfeed on from my Corda stack! Attenuates the bass a little, and evens out the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back