SennGrado Thread
Dec 4, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #136 of 518

Got a chance to sit down and Give 7Keys Senn Grado a listen, it's been a really busy couple of weeks for me. In between work, holidays, finals and a couple of deaths I've not had much free time. 

Compared to my Walnut Senn Grado, 7Keys Western Red Cedar I noticed his had a little bit more lower mid body. guitars and other stringed instruments had more weight to them compared to my Walnut Senn Grado, in addition the Western Red Cedar SennGrado was a little smoother on the top end, not as articulate as the Walnut I have, and also not as edgy at times.

Both did a nice job with imaging and had a natural tone. I did prefer the cleaner tone of my Walnut Senn Grado, but joes Western Red Cedar was a little easy to listen to. Not as harsh or revealing of a poor source of file. 

I also felt the Western Red Cedar Senn Grado was a CLEAR step above my Walnut Allesandro MS1i, where the MS1i W can be, both warm n loose and grainy, the Western Red Cedar Senn Grado had neither of those issues, so considering the price differances the Senn Grado regardless of wood is still a great bang for the buck! 

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #137 of 518

Got a chance to sit down and Give 7Keys Senn Grado a listen, it's been a really busy couple of weeks for me. In between work, holidays, finals and a couple of deaths I've not had much free time. 

Compared to my Walnut Senn Grado, 7Keys Western Red Cedar I noticed his had a little bit more lower mid body. guitars and other stringed instruments had more weight to them compared to my Walnut Senn Grado, in addition the Western Red Cedar SennGrado was a little smoother on the top end, not as articulate as the Walnut I have, and also not as edgy at times.

Both did a nice job with imaging and had a natural tone. I did prefer the cleaner tone of my Walnut Senn Grado, but joes Western Red Cedar was a little easy to listen to. Not as harsh or revealing of a poor source of file. 

I also felt the Western Red Cedar Senn Grado was a CLEAR step above my Walnut Allesandro MS1i, where the MS1i W can be, both warm n loose and grainy, the Western Red Cedar Senn Grado had neither of those issues, so considering the price differances the Senn Grado regardless of wood is still a great bang for the buck! 

Thanks, the red cedar is the first soft wood I tried and agree with your review.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #138 of 518
...so these have basically become my daily drivers at the office:

They are PX95 ii drivers (thanks again @wje), with a cable by @Kamakahah, a Sony MDR 7502 headband and Lignum Vitae cups by my good friend Jim. The Lignum were originally for a Grado headband, so I had to slim them down a little in my workshop.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #139 of 518
New week, new build...this time with a pair of Mahogany and Walnut cups. Same cable, drivers and headband as the last one (above)

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #146 of 518
Jan 4, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #149 of 518
That miss-match is actually fairly small given the DIY nature of these cans. I thought they were pretty good, all things considered.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #150 of 518
  That miss-match is actually fairly small given the DIY nature of these cans. I thought they were pretty good, all things considered.

What was interesting to hear was the comment you made on Innerfidelity that they were the same as, or better than, the RS1e on paper. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to measurements, but hearing that, some of the early comments by builders comparing their builds favorably against the RS1e and recalling my experience comparing them to my Magnum X build is a nice validation that this is genuinely a great build to try out.

Granted, the nature of DIY means that no single implementation is likely to measure exactly the same, and there will be some crappy implementations as well as excellent ones, but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back