SennGrado Thread
Jan 21, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #166 of 518
Well...its official...I am now completely Grado-less. Sold my SR80 pinks in African Blackwood this morning. I need a lathe for further experiments in cup-making, and the SennGrados I have kick arse, so...

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #168 of 518
Haha congrats fleas! You're off the juice!

...for now...

You and I know how that goes
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #172 of 518
  Do you find you like the modded T50RP better that the Magnums? 

...so far yes. I need to make sure that this isn't me simply falling in love with closed back isolation or if the drivers, properly housed, are the secret sauce. I suspect its the drivers, but we all know what new toy syndrome can do...

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #173 of 518
Further impressions...

my original impressions and details on my build here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/738035/senngrado-appreciation-thread/150#post_11236676

I have since added more putty-tack directly around the PX100II driver diameter.  Again, the goal here for me is to eliminate earcup / housing resonances outside of the driver diaphragm.  So I added a gummy worm sized strand around the perimeter of the PX100 driver frame and simply pressed it into the SR60i earcup ring.  Little pieces of gorilla tape secure the driver flush with the earcups.  Very soon I will glue the drivers permanently with the putty tack in there to do its thing.

Holy cow... this is a really REALLY good sounding headphone with the Zonk G-cush pads.  It very easily fills a niche and is completely at home stealing head-time away from my RS1, HF1, HD650 and K701.  Its still on the bass heavy side thats for sure.  But the way it does bass... is just so "right".  So tight, controlled, and detailed like the RS1.  Yet airy and textured a small step towards the K701 but with WAY more slam and impact than the AKG.  Its still a weighty bass presentation though, I mean it still is a sennheiser at heart so its got that signature "wooly + groovy" character too.  Hows that for confusing?  It really does take the best bass characteristics from all my fave cans and combines them into one really GOOD sounding presentation.  Sub-bass extension seems to be better than all my cans.  I normally bump the iTunes EQ by 3db at 32Hz to compensate for the natural roll-off of all my cans... but that's overkill with the Senngrado, so I turn the EQ off completely.  Yes it definitely seems to extend deeper than my other cans.

My impressions are still the same with midrange and vocals.  VERY good energy and slam, yet manages to avoid the shouty nature that defines the RS1 (and HF1 to a lesser degree).... heck it still says GRADO LABS on the side, so it better have that slam, energy and foot-stomp ability.  Leaves the K701 and HD650 in the dust in midrange energy and fun factor.  No doubt this is a Grado.  It will get your pulse pumping, foot stomping... and make you forget about everything and just groove to the music.  I kid you not, I am listening to ZZ Top La Grange as I type this... I can hardly type these words my fingers want to play air guitar!!  Don't get me wrong though... its definitely a smoother midrange than either of my wood Grados.  It just doesn't have that shouty nature, that peakey, spikey upper midrange stuff that either you love or hate in the RS1.  The SG is definitely more polite and can tone it down nicely for some Enya and Norah Jones.  No doubt the G-cush pads add air and space around all the midrange  tones.  The G-cush midrange is just not as "thick" as the L or S cush pads.  Snare drum tones sound SHARP and impactful.  I can clearly hear the difference between Stewart Copelands snare pitch and Alex Van Halens deeper throatier tone.

Transitioning into the treble is nice and smooth.  No pesky peaks or sibilance... unless its there in the recording.  This is one stark difference between the RS1, which has a noticeable roll-off.  By comparison the SennGrado treble very smoothly matches its upper midrange.  I am not getting an impression of boost or attenuation... just a smooth transition.  Its a nice, clean treble too, airy  and articulate and very musical.  I think its very similar to the HD650 in terms of smooth musicality in the treble and upper midrange.  I am listening to Jethro Tull Live at Montreaux DVD as I type this and Ian Andersons flute sound is incredible... lively and energetic, airy and "breathey" in the treble/upper mids... that throaty-grunting distortion he gets sounds soo cool.  Without a doubt this is my favorite Jethro Tull headphone.

I am a big fan of the K701 imaging and soundstage, and for me thats always going to be my reference.  The white AKG just puts stuff WAY out there.  Try as I could to DIY a K701 matching image with my SennGrado build... no dice.  The K701 remains my imaging champ.  HOWEVER... there are times my AKG leaves me all alone, it literally takes its image and walks away with it!!  "Dude get back here with that... its not supposed to be  WAY over there!!  Put it HERE instead... please?"  Thats where the SennGrado shines... Part of its energy and slam comes from its ability to put stuff in your face like a Grado, yet ambiently back away and separate sounds like the HD650.  Its very similar to my HD650, but with a slightly better way to fill the center stage image.  Credit there goes to the G-cush pads for sure.  The L and S pads are much more near-field sounding by comparison.

Phwew, I can;t type anymore... Kicking back now, going to finish up this Jethro Tull DVD.  Oh I'd post up pics, but its really nothing more than a stock SR60i with G-cush pads,

Cheers and happy listening!!

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #175 of 518
Don't know if its been asked yet, but how do the hd 414 pads compare to other pads? 

The 414 pads are nice, but bassier unless reverse quarter modded. I found them okay when reverse quarter modded, but not as good as stock Grado L-Cush...the Ear Zonk L-Cush were single density foam when I tried them, which made them sound, for lack of a better word, less clear than Grado's version...

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #176 of 518
  Don't know if its been asked yet, but how do the hd 414 pads compare to other pads? 

While I haven't specifically tried my SG with 414 pads, the big yellows I have owned in the past were always fairly thin material and very porous foam.  So they attenuated the highs a little less than the Grado S-cush pads.  Like the S-cush pad, the soundstage was more closed in sounding.  Instrumentation lacked spatial separation and "air" as a result.

Now the caveat in my impressions is that the S-cush pads I have owned over the decade have all been slightly different.  Some slightly thinner than others, and different overall dimensions too.  Foam textures have also been different.  I don't know which of these pads were OEM and which were not, or if Grado changed designs mid-stream like they always do... although I have my suspicion that the biggest "puffiest" one is the OEM.  I now use this one on my RS1.  That particular pad is the warmest sounding, the bass is the most pronounced of all my Grado pads despite the quarter-hole mod I cut out of it.

I just got a trio of ear zonk pads the other day and have been cycling them through all my Grados, and most recent senngrado mod.  To my surprise the Zonk S-cush pad with the SennGrado is brighter sounding than the G-cush.. I was expecting the opposite. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #177 of 518
My build is using the standard OFC copper SR60i cable with the 1/8" TRS connector.  What are the sonic benefits from a cable upgrade?  Would it help with imaging and soundstage?

it sounds INCREDIBLE the way it is now though.

thanks

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #178 of 518
This is some fascinating stuff, what do you guys think of this budget option?

Sony MDR-V150's for the headband and cable (http://www.ebay.com/itm/291300451683), a PX-100 II for the drivers and DIY wooden cups made from Iroko wood using this method:http://headfonics.com/2011/07/grado-diy-how-to-get-a-perfect-woody/. I might try to find a lathe for later versions but this should do for the first version? Not sure on the pads, might go for Sennheiser HD414 pads.

I have little experience with hi-fi audio, I've been using Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII's for the last year and I really quite liked the sound of them but know nothing beyond that. I like making stuff so I figured this would be a nice project, didn't want to go all out on the first version, hence these cheap parts.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #179 of 518
  This is some fascinating stuff, what do you guys think of this budget option?

Sony MDR-V150's for the headband and cable (http://www.ebay.com/itm/291300451683), a PX-100 II for the drivers and DIY wooden cups made from Iroko wood using this method:http://headfonics.com/2011/07/grado-diy-how-to-get-a-perfect-woody/. I might try to find a lathe for later versions but this should do for the first version? Not sure on the pads, might go for Sennheiser HD414 pads.

I have little experience with hi-fi audio, I've been using Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII's for the last year and I really quite liked the sound of them but know nothing beyond that. I like making stuff so I figured this would be a nice project, didn't want to go all out on the first version, hence these cheap parts.

Looks like a good start.  I followed a similar method when I woody modded my HF1 eons ago.  Except I had at the time a bench top drill press to cut the holes and whittle down the circumferences.
I'd post pics but F'ing imageshack locked out my pic URLs.

Might want to budget for a headband pad-cushion.  I have always found those hard plastic headbands murder on my shaved head.  I had an MDR-V150 a decade ago and IIRC it was a very creeky plastic headband/earcup "Y".  The Vivitar DJ headband or OEM Grado is a better option IMHO.

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #180 of 518
This one?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/142117/diy-woody-hf-1-pics-56k-warning

They look great, I'd be chuffed if I can get anywhere near that. But how did you get the pads to stay on, I thought you'd need a groove for that? I will be using a bench top drill, I can use some of the tools at my university. But sadly stuff like lathes are off-limits because of liability issues.

Looking at reviews of the V150's using that headband seems like a bad idea indeed, by OEM Grado you mean ordering a replacement from them? I couldn't find the Vivitar's here in Europe, but I quite like the band the of the Urbanears Plattan's, these €5,00 knockoffs look like a good donor for now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back