SennGrado Thread
Dec 25, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #496 of 518
Just got these finished in time for christmas, will be a christmas present for my Uncle. I’m happy with the end result and did my best to tame the midbass and bring out the mids/highs with dynamat lining 80% of the cup, soborthane on the back of the drivers.

I’ve gotten it to a very nice level of slightly mid bass emphasised sound sig, but it’s very nice overall with a slightly brighter source.

21B332E0-9F54-4ED7-9342-526110C50887.jpeg 121B67BE-705A-460D-AD4C-61844DFE3E73.jpeg 4AB72B19-0F5D-4781-ADD8-4C1D1D662DAB.jpeg

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #498 of 518
Looks great, did you make those cups yourself?
Sorry didn’t see your reply. Yes I made them with a hole drill. Cut two cylinders out for the cups, cut one bigger diameter cylinder for the end piece, which I made thin because I thought the cups sound better with a open end rather than a slightly closed in cap. That end piece I sawed in half and sanded so it’s almost exactly half the length of the cup. Then I cut another ‘disk’ to hold the driver and pads. I glued everything together and applied a grille/dynamat to the cup and Voila.

I don’t have the necessary tools for wood turning so I had to keep it simple and use 3 pieces rather than one. Whether this deteriorates the sound I don’t know but I’m guessing since I only used px100ii drivers I don’t need to worry about these nuances with this build.

The bass and high’s sound good, abit bloated in the mid bass but if I could bring the mids forward somehow it would be ok.

I gave them to my uncle but I have some foam filters to hand to him next time I visted to see if I can try ‘fix’ that midrange. The foam seems to help.

Any other suggestions are welcome to help with tuning! thanks

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #499 of 518
Jan 29, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #500 of 518
I'll get some pics up later but three years in and they're still holding up really really well! In fact my Beyerdynamic T70p's are in not brilliant shape and Ive had them for only a year and a half. And I look after my gear so go figure!!!
They sound amazing, Very open soundstage that really sits well with Live recordings and shows! I also find they bring old studio recordings from the 60's and 70's to life in a fresh and exiting way! :)

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #504 of 518
@7keys, I've always considered my SennGrado's (built 4 of them but have sold or given them away) to sound more like my HD650 since they were usually full and a bit warmer sounding while the HD600 (sold it) was a bit on the leaner and closer to neutral.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #505 of 518
As you know senngrado's are not all created equal, this particular senngrado is more neutral. As you can see in the pic I have both the 600 and 650 here and you are right the 650 is warm sounding with more weight not at all like my SennGrado. When you do some critical listening you notice the 600 has more definition in the bass and the soundstage is clear while the senngrado has a bit of grain, also the instrument seperation is better on the 600.

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #506 of 518
As you know senngrado's are not all created equal, this particular senngrado is more neutral. As you can see in the pic I have both the 600 and 650 here and you are right the 650 is warm sounding with more weight not at all like my SennGrado. When you do some critical listening you notice the 600 has more definition in the bass and the soundstage is clear while the senngrado has a bit of grain, also the instrument seperation is better on the 600.
I wish one of my SennGrado builds turned out like yours, I might have kept it

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #508 of 518
@JoeDoe @PETEREK @fleasbaby @7keys Some long awaited pron my friends - They're still performing to this day.
I replaced the ear pads with the larger ones you see in the images. They sound so good. I'm just in the middle of starting a blog and will be writing a piece on these soon. :)

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #510 of 518
Probably gonna get to work on this soon. Looking at some drivers like PXC 250ii (second hand on ebay), m50x (maybe, heard a good impression from someone on r/headphones about wooded open back m50x build) or something else altogether.

20180824_164853.jpg

Apart from replacing the stock drivers I'm gonna get velour/leather pads or earzonk G cush pads, build a plate to hold said pads and house the drivers. Oh and a new cable.

It was super cheap to buy this chi fi headphone during an aliexpress sale (like $35) and the headband padding cost like $8. Hoping to get the drivers for $25-35 and cable for about $30-40. Pads for $10-30.

Cheapo build but with experience from my first senngrado build I should be able to do a better job this time round, hopefully!

Anyone who can name the headphone in the background gets bonus points :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back