Senn HD800 Ultimate, "Maxx" Mod
Oct 3, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #92 of 173
Thank you for the compliment. I try to do quality work. I look forward to more tutorials on improving the HD800. I no longer use the equalizer after these adjustments. I use balance output from Sony WM1Z.
You should compare your unit to an 800S 👍

Also, working on next hd800,
I got a little carried away with my test unit mod, and decided to strip all stock the paint right off(!), for a custom paint job.... 🙂

Nov 5, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #95 of 173
Here is my latest My HD800Maxx mod (in blue).
TRUE BASS INCREASE...
Notice where the 20hz db point is, in reference to the 1khz line... Same amplitude level, not 5db down, as in all other "Sennheiser" iterations (also at least 3db higher than "Drop" HD8XX iteration).
True Bass HD800Maxx vs HD800SDR.PNG

Count the DBs & extension... A full 10hz frequency extension....
Normalized at the 1khz reference point, where it should be. 👍
My measurements also have no smoothing, to hide any imperfections, which most fancier graphs do.

So levels of 10hz and lower, are now audible, without any form of artificial EQ.

Also:
Having the flattest and most extended trebles, (past 23khz, and extending to 5khz further than the renowned "SDR" mod), translates to a more realistic and critical headphone.

Extension goes hand-in-hand, with speed.
All other graphs have to go at least 25-30db down, to achieve similar extension! As an example, the HD8XX barely makes it to 18khz at 25db down.

These extended parameters (on both extremes) serve as proofs to a True driver performance increase...

Sonic Image Depth & size is also easily extended beyond current Sennheiser iterations, and even the current mods done here.
Getting closer to publically offering.
Currently making the demo unit.

EDIT** Picture above not updated **
Further improvements made. Flatter cleaner lower Spectrum.
Smoother lesser 4k dip.
Sibilance reduction lowering at 9k.
Have to re-upload newer graph.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #96 of 173
Forgot to say, the main difference in other "measurement rigs", would be from mids up, so that area would be more open to difference when comparing to another rig.
That's why the other (SDR) headphones is there to compare, as another "reference point"..

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #97 of 173
For those that may not know, I prefer to explain FR measurements from the 1kz.

There is a reason why this point has long been chosen as a reference point in past.

It is the 1khz that you should "view" the FR for signature. To make it simple, imagine a tiny person standing on thag 1khz line, with binoculars on, and looking out to the extremes. Notice what amounts to a bass that is still at the 1khz output db level, at 20hz, so from that output, you will hear the bass at that level.

Then notice the trebles from 5k practically ruler flat to18khz, but also extending (seeing) further past that, to 23khz at that same output level of the 1khz.

All should be viewed from the 1khz level, to gain a proper impression of how the overall tonality of the headphones will be observed.

Then the pic should be viewed in relation to how the HD800 is graphed in other places, to get more perspective.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #98 of 173
What is most important to note, is that EVERY FR graph, not just this one, but every single graph on internet, of every single HD 800, or HD800S, or HD 8XX, all have the 20hz point 5db below the 1khz point. This is fact...
My measurement shows the 20hz point "in same line" with the 1khz point, so it is a true 5db increase.
This decibel level point, is irrespective of any other headphone plotted and compared, next to it...

This results also in an extension of the sub-bass level, to notably audible levels, which is different than if you just turned up the bass on a normal unit.

I also posted more info on the trebles, in the post with the grapth.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #99 of 173
Forgot to mention that I using Dekoni ferenstrated pads on this mod,
IMG_20211106_150639__01.jpg
which automatically have less bass than stock pads, so I would expect greater bass seal on stock pads..

Anyways, to offset this, use the stock pads silicone seal, as posted earlier in this thread. 👍

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #100 of 173
Forgot to mention that I am not using any stupid inserts inside the driver.

So since I have only used the HD800 for my mods, I realized that I have not taken advantage of the 800S ability to give more bass...

I have not "cheated" with these center tuning inserts, that are called "resonators" lol.
I only say "cheated", as a joke, because they are not real improvements ( to me), only tuning material.
Sorry to be blunt, but I call it like it is, for clarification.
I view tunning mods as band-aid work.
So my bias clouded my view to use the 800S driver.

Anyways I will now evaluate and expose the 800S driver in this thread, to analyze any potential, before deciding which driver I will place in the demo unit.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #101 of 173
Tried the tape (1-"BASS Pressure/COUPLING SEAL" MOD.) and the 3- Rear dampening Anti-resonance mod. on my HD 820, works great. (used some sort of high school material "polyurethane foam" or something like that (comes in all colors, one size fits all!). (Found out what it's called: EVA foam).

But I want to remove the glass.
I cannot seem to find a way to remove the cap holding the glass, or how to access it. I thought the cap/cover would be unscrewable, but... it seems dead glued or something.

Can't believe this works so well, listening to my usual songs to compare by memory how better and clear it sounds now and less harsh on some frequencies (6k fixed?).

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #103 of 173
Willing to do all these mods, but I am not sure where to get material

@Maxx134, can you please give me link to below materials where you ordered from. I live in Dubai, so shipping cost will be high, multiple shipping is not an option.

rubber tape
non slip shelf liner
material used for damping ring mod

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #104 of 173
rubber tape
non slip shelf liner
material used for damping ring mod
1- no need for the tape. Use silicone aquarium tubing.
2- goto home improvement store for non-slip material.
3- it is used as sound damping material for auto.

Feb 13, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #105 of 173
Currently doing some paint jobs, so took some before photos, with all paint grinded down to the base materials,
Screenshot_20220118-171411_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220118-171139_Motion photo viewer.jpg

which are partially transparent 😯
I put unit together just to see how it look bare! 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back