Selecting your first turntable setup - Get the biggest bang for your buck - Keep it under $2000
Apr 28, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #121 of 185
you went from
Turntable Candidates:
Currently I have identified the following candidates for the Turntable:

1. VPI - Traveller, Scout, Nomad
2. Rega - RP3, RP6
3. Project - Debut

to this post with your final choice. Are you still happy with it? How did you make this choice? Your final solution is 1/3 of the price of the other options on this list, no? The pro Ject is that compatible in quality at 1/3 the price?

Apr 29, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #122 of 185
  you went from
Turntable Candidates:
Currently I have identified the following candidates for the Turntable:

1. VPI - Traveller, Scout, Nomad
2. Rega - RP3, RP6
3. Project - Debut

to this post with your final choice. Are you still happy with it? How did you make this choice? Your final solution is 1/3 of the price of the other options on this list, no? The pro Ject is that compatible in quality at 1/3 the price?

Welcome to Head-Fi @MEF5521!! 
smily_headphones1.gif

The final choice was a combination of things that went into the setup, see this post:
post #20

My target was to keep the entire setup under $2,000 not just the turn table. My total investment ended up being ~$700 give or take.  I bought few additional tools for cleaning Vinyl and the actual records over time.

Am I still happy with it after 18 months of use, a resounding YES.

If you traverse through the thread you will see factors that led to the decision.  I will caution you that you can drop a whopping amount of money on a TurnTable very easily.  I wanted to get started and play with Vinyl before spending a ton of money on it, I wanted to experiment and see if I like it first.  So I looked for an option that will be good enough to be audiophile grade but not burn a massive hole in the wallet and it was the decision for the what's listed in Post 20.

As for Quality, I can't speak for how well it compares with VPI or other TTs since I don't own them.  But from a satisfaction standpoint, I am very happy with the setup.  The Pro Ject has a couple of really killer features:
1) Carbon Fiber Tonearm, very easy setup even with the Anti-Scating Weight.  Minor challenges with the thread that you get used to quickly.
2) Ortofon 2M cartridge that is kick-butt in my opinion

There you have it.  Hope this helps and let me know if you have more questions.  I am more than happy to help anyone getting started to speed up their learning and help them avoid wasting time like I did when I got started.

Good luck and keep us posted with you progress :)

May 1, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #123 of 185
Many Thanks for your reply! I have learned a lot from your posts. I have budgeted $9k for my system: $3k speakers (focal or totem); McIntosh MA5200 ($4.5k) and a turntable $1.5k. (The MacInstosh comes with a phono preamp and DAC so i dont have to worry about getting these components.) Would you still make the choice you did if you had this budget? What would the upgrade path be for your configuration (Project Debut Carbon - Ortofon 2M Red - Project MKII Phono-stage)? Also, you made mention of a glass platter that you had made. What is the biggest difference that a glass platter makes and why is this important? Would you share the exact specs of this platter and the schematic drawing you created? Many thanks for taking the time to

May 4, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #124 of 185
  Many Thanks for your reply! I have learned a lot from your posts. I have budgeted $9k for my system: $3k speakers (focal or totem); McIntosh MA5200 ($4.5k) and a turntable $1.5k. (The MacInstosh comes with a phono preamp and DAC so i dont have to worry about getting these components.) Would you still make the choice you did if you had this budget? What would the upgrade path be for your configuration (Project Debut Carbon - Ortofon 2M Red - Project MKII Phono-stage)? Also, you made mention of a glass platter that you had made. What is the biggest difference that a glass platter makes and why is this important? Would you share the exact specs of this platter and the schematic drawing you created? Many thanks for taking the time to

Wow....You have selected an amazing set of components!  You will rock it out my friend.  Take a look at Golden Ear's Triton Ones.  Read the reviews to learn about what Sandy Grove has done with creating speakers that are with multiple folds to their price.

I love McIntosh products across the board, albeit I heard that their tube amp is slightly towards the solid state than the warm tuby sound of other brands.  But their stuff are all awesome!

My upgrade path will most likely by a VPI Scout 1.1 with one of the 2M cartridges, probably a Blue cart.

As for the glass platter and specs, would be more than happy to post that in a couple of days when I can take the measurements and a couple of photos for you so you know what I did.  You can also buy the acrylic platter directly from eBay or similar.  The biggest benefit being that the mat sticks to the records and can build up dust and dirt over time.

Stay tuned for the specs and the photos.

May 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #125 of 185

Wow....You have selected an amazing set of components!  You will rock it out my friend.  Take a look at Golden Ear's Triton Ones.  Read the reviews to learn about what Sandy Grove has done with creating speakers that are with multiple folds to their price.

I love McIntosh products across the board, albeit I heard that their tube amp is slightly towards the solid state than the warm tuby sound of other brands.  But their stuff are all awesome!

My upgrade path will most likely by a VPI Scout 1.1 with one of the 2M cartridges, probably a Blue cart.

As for the glass platter and specs, would be more than happy to post that in a couple of days when I can take the measurements and a couple of photos for you so you know what I did.  You can also buy the acrylic platter directly from eBay or similar.  The biggest benefit being that the mat sticks to the records and can build up dust and dirt over time.

Stay tuned for the specs and the photos.

Ok Sir, here are the pics and details of the platter:
Radius of 6"

Thickness of 6/16":

Make sure the edges are chamfered so that no body cuts themselves by mistake while placing or removing vinyl from the platter.

But from experience, I suggest you buy the Acrylic platter.  I think its worth the money.  The guy that made my platter was slightly off so there is a bit of centrifugal pull as the platter rotates which always have me concerned about the mechanics of the player.

Good Luck!

May 4, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #126 of 185
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. The upgrade path you mentioned VPI scout - that a considerable leap forward. I have read that the nomad is not worth the money (was going to buy it but was dissuaded after Redding review), but you feel the scout is much superior and worth it? Have you listened to your project vs the scout? Can a "normal"' person hear the difference between the two TTs? I sometimes wonder how much of these considerable differences in prices translate into perceptible differences in sound. Many thanks again for your patience. Ah, one more thing, what specific acrylic plater are you referring to? Can ione buy the project without the platter it comes with or with the platter you recommend? (I don't like the look of the tritons. Too much Plasric. They look cheap. Aesthetics of components are important to me. Major reason why I had considered Rogue Audio chronic magnua - a great looking integrated tube amp. Much nicer looking than the mcintosh...)

May 7, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #127 of 185
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. The upgrade path you mentioned VPI scout - that a considerable leap forward. I have read that the nomad is not worth the money (was going to buy it but was dissuaded after Redding review), but you feel the scout is much superior and worth it? Have you listened to your project vs the scout? Can a "normal"' person hear the difference between the two TTs? I sometimes wonder how much of these considerable differences in prices translate into perceptible differences in sound. Many thanks again for your patience. Ah, one more thing, what specific acrylic plater are you referring to? Can ione buy the project without the platter it comes with or with the platter you recommend? (I don't like the look of the tritons. Too much Plasric. They look cheap. Aesthetics of components are important to me. Major reason why I had considered Rogue Audio chronic magnua - a great looking integrated tube amp. Much nicer looking than the mcintosh...)

No worries, more than happy to help.

I believe that table sturdiness has a lot to do with quality of sound.  The heavier the table the less vibrations and skipping you are likely to experience.  The tone arm and components also factor into the cost of the table.

I am not a believer of excessively obscene prices on components, cables, and the like and like a good value for product (I admit that I am not focused on bargain shopping) but I don't want to be taken to the cleaners either.  I do believe that the Scout is a good table and balance between cost and value. 

Find the Acrylic platter on this link:
http://project-audio.com/main.php?prod=acrylit&cat=accessories&lang=en

Rogue Audio has great reviews. I am personal partial to the Primaluna Series and most likely will get the Integrated Tube Amp later this year.

Good luck and keep me posted with what you end up doing.

May 7, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #128 of 185
If you want to with a VPI, you might want to get a Traveler while you still can.  Some options:

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/vpi-industries-the-traveler-turntables-with-ortofon-2m-red.shtml

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-455103-vpi-traveler-turntable-blue-demo.aspx

May 7, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #129 of 185
  If you want to with a VPI, you might want to get a Traveler while you still can.  Some options:

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/vpi-industries-the-traveler-turntables-with-ortofon-2m-red.shtml

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-455103-vpi-traveler-turntable-blue-demo.aspx

Good option @KG Jag. I had considered the Traveler while doing my initial shopping but felt the integrated phono-amp to be a snoozer.  At the time I was doing my shopping, they retailed for under $1,000 which doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

I think your second suggestion is bang on...demo or open carton with warranty at half the price seems to be killer. @MEF5521 you need to consider this option buddy - you will have to get a cart to go with this but you can easily get the 2M Red or Blue for a few hundred more.

Good luck.

May 7, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #130 of 185

I had considered the Traveler while doing my initial shopping but felt the integrated phono-amp to be a snoozer. 

There's no integrated phono amp in the Traveler.

AT 440 ML cart, Schiit Mani and Vali. AKG 7xx. Not too bad.

May 8, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #131 of 185

I had considered the Traveler while doing my initial shopping but felt the integrated phono-amp to be a snoozer. 

There's no integrated phono amp in the Traveler.

AT 440 ML cart, Schiit Mani and Vali. AKG 7xx. Not too bad.

Sorry my bad @Eee Pee! I confused the Nomad and Traveler with respect to the phono stage.  The Nomad has it built-in and whole kabootle for about $1k.

Your setup looks awesome - I have the Schiit Lyr2 and Audeze LCD3s and the sound is superb 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 9, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #133 of 185
  I got some LCD2s on loan that I use. Good stuff. And all my Sennheisers. 
biggrin.gif

I bought Sennheiser On-ear momentum from eBay on sale for use in the office for under $70 (quite a steal).  I was blown away by the sound, absolutely awesome for such a low price.  A few months later I found another pair of Sennheisers, Momentums on sale for under $140 and I couldn't resist buying them for use around the house.  Was amazed with product quality and how awesome they sounded.

I ended up trying the HD700s and 800s at a local store, and fell in love with the 700s.  I am a sucker for headphones man even though I enjoy loud speakers.

Will definitely try to buy the 700s before end of year....my poor wallet 
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #134 of 185
Pro-Ject 1-Xpression is a great choice if you want to throw in your favorite vinyl record after a long day at work. There also other Turntable options here if you'd like to check it out: http://www.instrumenttop.com/best-turntable-under-1000/ I think all the things you need to know were also mentioned on that review.

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #135 of 185
He was talking about preamp not cartridge. On the other hand, very good cartridge can be had for much less than $700. The AT-OC9/II can be had for $350 and a mind blowingly good DIY preamp such as the AD797 HTMC preamp can be built for less then $100 with selected components.

Please be a bit more realistic not to frighten someone away from analogue.
Though, I agree with you that good components are important but not everyone is fighting the last 5% in sound quality.

The other important thing is to look at the entire cartridge-turntable(tonearm+base)-phono preamp-pre+power amp-speaker-room-ear-brain chain. There is no point spending a fortune on extremely well resolving cartridge if our ears are old and can't sense anything above 14kHz or a cartridge-amp combo that is very good at low frequencies yet our speaker can not reproduce anything properly bellow 50Hz.

Though, I do agreed that one should always pick the best still affordable components to enable one to improve on the other components when budget allows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back