Selecting your first turntable setup - Get the biggest bang for your buck - Keep it under $2000
Oct 16, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #151 of 185
Does anyone have any experience with Rega... I have been looking at a planar 3 or possibly a RP6. It seems Rega is very love/hate, and I could use some unbiased info...

I have the RP 3.  Once I got it set up, I've been very happy with it.

Starting decades ago with a Dual turntable, I found that the design and set up of the Rega to be very different and not at all intuitive.  Further, the information available on the web was only somewhat helpful with regard to the set-up process.  It is the one turntable that I have had that most needs a stylus pressure gauge to assure that the force you are using is correct.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #153 of 185
I appreciate the advice and will definitely keep the stylus pressure in mind. Have you stuck with the Rega cartridges? The carts also seem to be very polarizing.

Yes--it came with Elys 2 cartridge.

I did not know that this cartridge was polarizing.  However, I know that, like quality mid-fi cans, cartridges in this general price range tend have different strengths and weaknesses.  The phono pre-amp that you use is also a critical part in the sound chain.

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #154 of 185
https://www.amazon.com/Music-Hall-Driven-Turntable-Cartridge/dp/B001FUF8FQ

Seem like a solid choice in the 200-300 price range to get into records?  Interested in something to play with while relaxing; but not requiring too much fiddling, something I can reliable veg out with after a long day.  I'm a little new to this and doing pre-shopping for the Mrs for christmas. Likely feeding into a tube amp; Schiit Vali/Valhalla or maybe a  FiiO stack depending where it ends up in the house. (likely feeding some Sennheisers or Grados depending on genre), maybe a nice pair of bookshelves in a few years.  I could see it being fed into the In on my Bifrost also for a bit.

Nov 26, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #155 of 185
I have been into TT's for quite a while. New, vintage, direct, idler and belt drive. My personal recommendation is what I own and it ends up being around $2k. Massively recommend vintage Japan TT's as well as buying TT's from Japan. I hate to say it but Japan is miles ahead of the US in terms of packaging a TT which is critical imo. The vintage Japan TT's might be older but were built to last a lifetime, especially Technics. There is also a stereo technician or two in most big metro area's.

TT recommendations: Kenwood kp-9010: $1k, Yamaha gt2000: $2k, Micro Seiki bl-91: $2k. Other worthy mentions are dp59l, ps8750, sl-1025, pl71, most of these will be 100v so use a transformer from www.acupwr.com. JVC/Victor made some really nice automatics as well. It is not really worth the expensive shipping and transformer till you hit around $1k. Hifido and YahooJapan are your friends. Avoid Ebay

Tone arm: If you have the option I highly recommend fidelity research. There are allot of good arms out there but fr is my fav. Stax believe it or not would probably be my second pick (most likely micro seiki arms)

Phono pre: Haggerman Bugle 2: $189, This phono pre is a literal giant killer. I have heard allot of so called giant killers and usually was not that impressed. This phono pre is the real deal. Had I not gotten a massive discount used ($500) on my avid pellar I'd still have my Bugle. Do not let the looks fool you. It is no joke.

Carts: There's always the favorite dl-110. Back when it was $100 it was pretty much untouchable. If you don't mind looking a bit I really like the at30he. I has a replaceable stylus and sounds a bit nicer to my ears than the dl-110. I really wish AT would bring this cart back. I got all my carts new, grey market, from 2juki. 

RCM: You have to get one of these. I have not tried out allot but I really like my Nitty Gritty 1.0, $300-400 new on ebay.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #157 of 185
'Afternoon.  Looking to get a small setup; and my timetable was pushed up by a friends offer of a ~free  Sony PS-LX510 in (pretty) good condition;  he thought it was in need of a new cartridge but otherwise in good shape.

Right now, I have

PC -> Schiit Bifrost -> (Existing Switch) ->(Schiit Valhalla|Speakers)

And I want to feed this setup alternatively with the records.  For the Sony, it looks like I'd need to get a Phono PreAmp + switch, chain looking like

LX-510 -> Schiit Mani -> Schitt Sys -> (existing switch) ->  (Schiit Valhalla|Speakers)

Checking costs; I'd need to buy the Mani, Sys, + cartridge (129+50+50=229).

Alternatively, I could just buy a modern record player and skip the Mani i think, either AT-LP120 pr Fluance RT81 were what I was leaning toward.  

RT81> Schitt Sys -> (existing switch) ->  (Schiit Valhalla|Speakers)
 (249+50=299 out front cost; but shorter chain and modern tech)

Am I missing anything in the calculation I should be factoring in?  I've never really worked with vintage electronics before; I have slight concerns on maintenance/reliability moving forward (though I don't really need modern features outside of possibly the preamp and any convenience/safety items)

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #158 of 185
  'Afternoon.  Looking to get a small setup; and my timetable was pushed up by a friends offer of a ~free  Sony PS-LX510 in (pretty) good condition;  he thought it was in need of a new cartridge but otherwise in good shape.

Right now, I have

And I want to feed this setup alternatively with the records.  For the Sony, it looks like I'd need to get a Phono PreAmp + switch, chain looking like

LX-510 -> Schiit Mani -> Schitt Sys -> (existing switch) ->  (Schiit Valhalla|Speakers)

Alternatively, I could just buy a modern record player and skip the Mani i think, either AT-LP120 pr Fluance RT81 were what I was leaning toward.  

Am I missing anything in the calculation I should be factoring in?  I've never really worked with vintage electronics before; I have slight concerns on maintenance/reliability moving forward (though I don't really need modern features outside of possibly the preamp and any convenience/safety items)

This looks like a mid-80's linear turntable with a P-mount cartridge.  This was designed for plug and play and aimed at the general market.  Just run the RCA's from your turntable (+/- ground wire) into the "phono in" of your similar vintage stereo receiver (virtually of which had internal pre-amps).  I don't know what the tracking weight of this unit is or if it is adjustable.

Today the typical chain is phono to phono pre-amp to amp/receiver--all by way of RCA's (+/- ground wire).

Going to modern decent entry-level equipment, I would recommend the following as good places to start looking:

manual turntable-- https://www.musicdirect.com/turntables/music-hall-mmf-22-turntable

auto/semi-auto turntable-- https://www.turntablelab.com/products/denon-dp-300f-turntable-ortofon-2m-red-upgrade

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #159 of 185

Right now, I have

Vintage Japan tables, even cheap ones, usually are badass. I would hold on to the Sony and look for a stereo technician and see if he/she would give the Sony TT a once over for $50ish.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #160 of 185
Nice, thanks for the discussion. After some more digging I ordered a **** Mani, and will try and get the vintage LX-510 working on it once everything comes in, worst case scenario I fail and end up buying a new one table to use it with. 

I may actually bring my Schitt Modi/Mani stack home (currently @ work desk)  and use that with a Sys or similar to make a nice living room station.

Dec 25, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #164 of 185
I'm looking to put together a budget vinyl record playing set-up for my stepfather who has a large vinyl collection. His old set up went bad and was given away when he sold his old house, and now he has to start from scratch. Since price of the speakers and other components can quickly add up, and he's already spent a lot of money in the past 2 years on his old place, I'd like to keep the whole thing well under $500. Basically looking at a belt-driven turn table with built-in phono preamp and powered speakers for something basic but sounding good. For turntables, BuyDig periodically runs specials on TEAC models, for instance TN-400s for $169 (+tax) now, which is very enticing. I've read recommendations for better turn tables, such as older Music Hall mmf 2.2, but that seems to be close to $300 alone. Would that step-up be dramatically "better"? I don't mean "she wrote with a miracle sonic marker on a piece of magic tape and placed it on a vinyl record and it sounded AMAZING" better or "I'm used to $20k systems so this sounds like crap either way" better. But more like have objectively cleaner, higher fidelity sound that's noticeably better for the uninitiated.

Any other recommendations for $200-ish turn tables that would soundly beat the TEAC TN-400s model?

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #165 of 185
^ That's a low budget for a complete system--even with the excellent post Christmas deals that are now or will soon be available. Don't waste your money on a marginal TT. Maybe the best deal right now (think it lasts only through today) is the Fluance RT84 (with an outstanding Ortofon cartridge) for $350 from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KKMM5SS

Pair it with a quality entry level vintage receiver (which have a phono pre-amp), like the less than perfect Sherwood S-7100 (25 watts RMS per channel) you can pickup from Parts/Audio Connexion for $90:

https://www.partsconnexion.com/ESTATES-85811-54.html

or even better the fully working, newer, more powerful and cheaper Pioneer SX-2700 for $45:

https://www.partsconnexion.com/ESTATES-84811-38.html

Use headphones from the receiver until you can save up for some decent and efficient speakers by makers like Wharfedale, Pioneer Andrew Jones (e.g. SP-BS22-LR) or even Polk, Klipsch or Bic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back