Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Jan 30, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #1,576 of 1,652
For all those with a defective PHA, you might want to contact CD and let them know the problem(s) you are experiencing. I have problems with occ stuttering between songs when using the music player on the unit. I informed CD of the issue and they say they are going to send me a new unit in the next week or so to replace the one I have. If the new unit turns out to be a better one than I have, then I will return the defective one back to them... Too bad that the Pro X failed to pan out, seemed they had a pretty good prototype going for a while, but at least they say we will get a refund. I guess we'll have to see how long that takes....

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #1,577 of 1,652
To @Kundi and anyone else interested, I have received an update from CD regarding the Pro X..

So I guess that answers the question of this thread then: Yes, it was too good to be true.

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #1,579 of 1,652
Jan 30, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,580 of 1,652
For all those with a defective PHA, you might want to contact CD and let them know the problem(s) you are experiencing. I have problems with occ stuttering between songs when using the music player on the unit. I informed CD of the issue and they say they are going to send me a new unit in the next week or so to replace the one I have. If the new unit turns out to be a better one than I have, then I will return the defective one back to them... Too bad that the Pro X failed to pan out, seemed they had a pretty good prototype going for a while, but at least they say we will get a refund. I guess we'll have to see how long that takes....
I wish I could share your optimism, but some of the defects are design issues (balanced output inverted channels, and not always properly balanced [mine has no bass on left side], volume button not well centered with too few steps to be usable with sensitive IEMs, noisy line in...).
So fixing them would mean replacing all units.
Do you really expect them to do this ?

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,581 of 1,652
@tienbasse, I don't have any real expectations for CD at this point, but they will never know that your unit is horribly defective unless you notify them of the problems. They offered to replace my unit after I told them about a problem I was experiencing with the PHA. So, seems to me that I should take them up on their offer. If the new one they send appears to function better than the one I have now, then I will accept the trade in... it's that simple. If you don't believe you can receive a better unit at this point, then don't bother with it. It's up to you.

Feb 5, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #1,584 of 1,652
Please, people who received or are going to receive the PHA amp, I'd like you to test the 2.5mm balanced output if possible.
Mine is not working properly (low output level with noise and strong channel imbalance), while single-end output works fine but at deafening levels (low gain is still way too much even with 64ohm headphones).

So I'm curious to see if my unit is working "as intended" or really has a defect.

Yeah, I'm just getting one channel myself.

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,585 of 1,652
@tienbasse, I don't have any real expectations for CD at this point, but they will never know that your unit is horribly defective unless you notify them of the problems. They offered to replace my unit after I told them about a problem I was experiencing with the PHA. So, seems to me that I should take them up on their offer. If the new one they send appears to function better than the one I have now, then I will accept the trade in... it's that simple. If you don't believe you can receive a better unit at this point, then don't bother with it. It's up to you.
It's up to me indeed. :wink:
I kindly contacted them and listed the various issues (built, balanced ouput).

The answer came 3 days after: "there is no standard for 2.5mm balanced wiring, and you should buy our balanced cables if you want proper L/R output."
No standard? Then why is everyone else cabling 2.5mm correctly (=following A&K pin-wiring) ?

And the other 4 items in my list (channel unbalance, uncentered volume knob, noisy line in, not enough volume steps) were royally ignored, even though the first 2 are clearly hampering usability... No exchange proposal either...

So guess what ? They don't CARE.
I sincerely hope you'll get another unit, although I have doubts. And I suppose you'll have to pay another 30$ for shipping your unit back to China...

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #1,586 of 1,652
Guys, don't hold too much hope for this company. It is a Taiwanese company that is using a fake name (real name "iStage"). Its CEO (who appeared in CD's Youtube videos) is involved in and charged with multiple economic crimes in Taiwan. See for yourself what Taiwanese Hi-Fiers have found: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Headphone/M.1501064850.A.B27.html (use Google Translate if necessary). The point is, if you've still got a chance, go get a refund.

Feb 9, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #1,587 of 1,652
Thanks for the information.
It is high time that Indiegogo stops hosting too-good-to-be-true projects, their success rate is pathetic when compared to other crowdfunding platforms.
And I have yet to see them acting when things go wrong, meaning they don't care either.

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,588 of 1,652
Strangely enough, Cyberdrive (I should say Verisonix) has sent me a replacement unit without any warning, joined with a QC check list mentioning some of the things that had been reported as bugs/faults and verified.
I'll make sure to properly test it this week-end to see if they have fixed anything.

If they have, I'll make sure to mention the effort. :wink:

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #1,590 of 1,652
Well, I think I'll enever understand why they bothered sending a replacement unit that fixes nothing:

-the volume know is a little better centered but this was the least of my concerns, since I had fixed this one myself

On the other side:

-balanced output still has inverted channels and is not balanced at all (left channel produces practically no bass as with my first unit, which hints at incorrect pin-wiring). It shoudn't be that hard to rewire the balanced output correctly *** !
-usb dac input (called dsd) works even more randomly than my first unit. I can't make it work with my V20 when the first unit works fine.

I hope they don't count on me to ship back one of the units (30€ of shipment!) because it fixes nothing and I didn't ask for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back