Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Jan 22, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,561 of 1,652
Sadly no, will update if I do

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #1,562 of 1,652
I should be getting my PHA on Tuesday, which i'm happy about.

They still haven't commented on my questions regarding the Pro X..

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #1,563 of 1,652
Please, people who received or are going to receive the PHA amp, I'd like you to test the 2.5mm balanced output if possible.
Mine is not working properly (low output level with noise and strong channel imbalance), while single-end output works fine but at deafening levels (low gain is still way too much even with 64ohm headphones).

So I'm curious to see if my unit is working "as intended" or really has a defect.

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #1,564 of 1,652
Please, people who received or are going to receive the PHA amp, I'd like you to test the 2.5mm balanced output if possible.
Mine is not working properly (low output level with noise and strong channel imbalance), while single-end output works fine but at deafening levels (low gain is still way too much even with 64ohm headphones).

So I'm curious to see if my unit is working "as intended" or really has a defect.

I don't have any balanced headphones, but I will let you know what my general experience is like

EDIT: I may look into getting some balanced headphones

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #1,565 of 1,652

Mine has high noise on the 2.5mm and I have to unscrew the barrel slightly on my DIY cables to get them to sit properly and flush enough to hear both channels. No detectable imbalance even with sensitive iems which I can only use on the first and second volume step (this thing is obviously not meant for portable use).

Saw someone mentioned they have wired the channels up wrong so left and right are reversed and one of the channels is inverted, need to plug the PHA into the pc and use the test suite to check this out fully.

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #1,566 of 1,652
It clearly looks like there is a significant QC issue with the PHA. My PHA actually works very well, and I am really enjoying the balanced out with the built in MP3 player. I am hoping some issues can be addressed with a firmware update, such as the reversed channels. The only problem I have had with my unit is that it will occasionally stutter when a new song starts.. kind of a start song, stop song, restart song experience that lasts 1-2 seconds. But when the song restarts, all is well for the remainder of the song.. I hope that CD will address the issues (provide replacement units) for those of you having problems, because I believe this PHA can be/is a much better audio device than people might perceive from just reading through this thread....

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #1,567 of 1,652
Jan 27, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #1,568 of 1,652
One thing that i don't understand is that they have a separate website live that lists the Seiun line and other products..

http://59.124.114.84:8080/index.php/en/
Another nice shady website to let people think they're big players and a serious company...

Seriously, this old website is full of bulls**t products (3 PHA models, wonderful) from 2016.

I honestly don't expect to get any kind of support from these amateurs...

Don't forget the actual perk, the Pro/ProX DAP is nowhere to be seen except as a prototype.
At best they're amateurs, at worst, this is a pyramidal scam that made a few people richer.

Jan 27, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #1,569 of 1,652
Another nice shady website to let people think they're big players and a serious company...

Seriously, this old website is full of bulls**t products (3 PHA models, wonderful) from 2016.

I honestly don't expect to get any kind of support from these amateurs...

Don't forget the actual perk, the Pro/ProX DAP is nowhere to be seen except as a prototype.
At best they're amateurs, at worst, this is a pyramidal scam that made a few people richer.

I agree.

I do have their Feather DAC which produces some nice sound, that's what made me back them on IGG. Which looks to have been a big mistake...

They actually had good support before the campaign, I remember them responding within a day to a query I had with the DAC!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,570 of 1,652
Just received my 2 PHAs...
I agree to Tienbasse first review:
- build quality is approximative at best (volume knob, ...)
- sound is ok from internal player: using my over-ears open AKG K701 I could appreciate an excellent (powerful) listening.
- using iPhone/iPad with NEUTRON player, lightning to usb (camera cable) to PHA DSD DAC: excellent sound.
- using the aux in (line in from iPhone or whatever other source): TERRIBLE hisses and crackles. Unusable.
- using PC with foobar: probably not found the right drivers (using the Cyberdrive Control Panel I found on their website, but I'm afraid it's an old driver v.1.00 / 3.12.0), 'cos Foobar cannot set the output to DSD (even with correct plugins).
- not yet tried the balanced out.

Do not know if - at the end - CD has used the ESS9018S DAC or K2M...

- The UI is painfully slow, especially if you run the internal 64Gb player. The screen blinks for a second to validate any click, so imagine when you scroll within music folders.
- Music upload onto the 64Gb internal memory proceeds with a miserable 2,60Mo/s constant yet stable rate, so back to 10 years ago (usb 1 level), which means about 7 hours to load 64Gb...
Conclusion:
Overall this "all-in-one-thing" is functional, everything works but the balanced output (channel imbalance + butchered soundstage), but everything is medium to sub-par in terms of performance. Given the pricetag, it is not a complete disaster but relatively disappointing with the 18 months delay.
Amateurish result at the same level as the amateurish project management.

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #1,571 of 1,652
Jan 29, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #1,572 of 1,652
Interesting review - good pics of the internals too. Looks like the 9018S did make the cut in the end, but the taped down cables running right across the circuit board and the sellotaped-in Toshiba 64Gb micro sd card for the "internal" memory really made me chuckle.

Also, running through Google Translate, the poster seems to state that the balanced out is wired up wrong, so the output will be out of phase. @tienbasse - I'm no expert, but that sounds like tbd culprit for your balanced out soundstage and general sound issues?

I do have some balanced cables, but don't have any cheaper IEMs to test out wired up to the PHA output, so don't fancy putting my Athena or Zeus in the firing line and frying something if CD haven't wired the output correctly! :wink:

Can anyone comment on the effect of wiring up the 2.5mm wrong (apart from the poor Sonics)?

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #1,573 of 1,652
So.

The digital 'DSD' output does output some good (if not great) audio, max volume on PHA and about 25/100 on my laptop is perfect. No hissing or distortion, even at full volume.
As for the analogue input. about 15/100 on laptop and use the PHA to control the volume. Again, no distortion. But hissing noticeable at all volumes on the PHA with nothing playing.

I used foobar2000 with my NuForce EDC IEM's and 24/44.1, 24/88.2 FLAC's. The PHA is set at Lo Gain on the stereo output also, the line out doesn't seem to perform well at all.

One other thing. the PHA does seem to have a limited soudstage as there is noticeable distortion in background effects in some songs. It's relay noticeable at the start of Galantis - True Feeling and some parts throughout the song. It's non existent with my GS8+ and NW-A45.

I have the v3.12.0 driver installed that my CD Feather DAC uses also.

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #1,574 of 1,652
To @Kundi and anyone else interested, I have received an update from CD regarding the Pro X..
Screenshot_20180130-103912.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back