Seeking lower-end DAP Recommendation
May 30, 2022 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ScruffyLG

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a recommendation for a DAP. I plan to use it in my car to listen to lectures (mostly), but also music. I'm not an audiophile, so I'd imagine that any of the DAPs out there today would have sufficient audio quality. My files are MP3/WMA/FLAC.

I require the the DAP have the following features/characteristics:
  • Can be operated comfortably with one hand
  • Has a decent-sized screen (2.5" or larger), that has good readability in a car environment (i.e., brightness/contrast)
  • Can store 100GB+ (with sd cards, if necessary) as I do have a lot of music.
  • Great UI (which in my book means a well-organized interface that can navigate a large collection easily by artist or title without interminable, slow scrolling)
  • CRITICAL--I think it's a firmware feature, but it's got to be able to re-start a track where it left off when the car is turned off (or have an easy-to-use bookmark feature). I don't want to have to seek to find the place I left off on an hour-long lecture every time I stop the car.
  • Easy file transfer through Windows
  • Connects to car via car's AUX input, though Bluetooth wouldn't hurt (nice, but not necessary)
My target price is under $200, which I know is a low price-point for a DAP these days, but I should add that I'm perfectly happy buying something used and/or discontinued on eBay if it meets the criteria above. For example, I know that Fiio has a lot of discontinued models selling used on eBay. I saw a Fiio M7 on eBay for under $200. It seems to have a nice, large screen, but I've never used a Fiio player so I don't have the sense of it's UI and whether it supports starting where you left off.

Any information to help me would be appreciated, especially information on which makers/models have good UI, as that's the kind of information you can never figure out from the specs (or even reviews, sometimes).

Thank you!!!

May 30, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 11
A used LG Vxx or Qx phone w/ USB Audio Player Pro.

May 30, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks m-i-c-k-e-y!!!

This looks like a really good option I hadn't considered. I'll check them out on eBay.

I'm not familiar with LG phones...if anyone has further recommendations on which model, I'm all ears.

Thanks again.

May 30, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 11
May 30, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 11
Used DX160.

May 31, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 11
https://www.hidizs.net/products/ap80-pro-x-fully-balanced-lossless-music-player-ayfk

Pretty much fits your description, not too sure about the hiby os though since I haven't used it myself but I believe its based on open android.
Thanks for your recommendation, dougms3. I checked it out and it looks like a great player. I struggle to evaluate a player without either having used it or seeing a review where people discuss the interface. Typically, Hi-Fi player reviews spend a lot of time talking about the sonic characteristics and not much time on interface functionality and feel. It's also hard to figure out--unless someone mentions it--whether it has the "resume" functionality I really need. I'll do a little research.

May 31, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 11
Can I ask a (potentially) stupid question? I have used low-end players in the past and they invariably booted to their own firmware player/interface. When these modern, dedicated Hi-Fi DAPs are based on Android, does that mean that they boot to standard Android and you then then choose any player you've download from the Google Play store? Do they boot to their own firmware player from the device manufacturer, but give you a method for downloading other software players from the Google Store? How does that work?

Jun 3, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 11
Most android DAPs allow you to download and install whichever third-party music apps that you prefer from the Google Play store, and/or to sideload as an apk. Not to mention streaming apps (Tidal, Qobuz, Apple Music, Spotify, etc.). I think the general consensus around here is that people tend to prefer USB Audio Player Pro for playback of local files. I find myself mostly using Neutron. Although I rotate between Neutron, UAPP, and Poweramp. I have a Hiby DAP (R5 II), but I rarely, if ever, actually use the Hiby Music app to play music. Go figure. Hope that answers your question above.

By the way, Shanling Q1 is the DAP you are looking for IMO. https://hifigo.com/products/shanling-q1-portable-hi-fi-mp3-music-player
I have the green one and it's great. One-handed operation is what it is designed for. The UI is intuitive, clean, and easy. It's perfect as a transport via 3.5mm LO to AUX input. Definitely ticks all of the boxes for your requirements listed above.

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 11
wmischke--thank you so much for your informative response. I especially appreciate your comments about the various players you use.
I have been looking at lots of DAPs, and I've seen the Shanling, but I didn't give it much consideration because I was concerned that while one-handed operation is easy, it would have too little screen area to effectively operate while driving--or shall I say, while at a stop sign or when the car is otherwise not in operation. :wink: This is why the idea an LG Vxx seemed like a good idea...lots of real estate on the phone screen for scrolling through lists, etc.

But from the sounds of it, you haven't found that to be an issue for your use. I'll take another look.

I wish there were a national electronics chain that had a lot of these models on display so you could test them out for yourself.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #11 of 11
I see that you mention eBay to get your DAP, but take look at the classifieds here on headfi. There is bound to be something there that suits your needs. Good luck with your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back