Seeking advice!: Ultrasone Pro 550/750
Dec 12, 2010 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

aleblanc

New Head-Fier

[size=medium]

[size=medium]
Hello everyone!, 

Finally joining everyone else who have joined the Ultrasone ranks on this forum, I'm facing a decision:  The Ultrasone Pro 550 or 750 :/

I've searched this thread and ran through some suggestions and I understand the differences between both phones, that the 750 is less forgiving - etc.  I'm not sure whether it's entirely the 40mm titanium driver vs. the 550's 50mm mylan driver.  But regardless, I'm a little lost because I consider myself a basshead - subwoofers in the car, electronica/dubstep listener.  But i write this while listening to a pair of Koss Portapros, and listening to an entirely orchestral album.  As this is my first purchase into the world of headfi (god forbid :), the range of genre makes things rather difficult for me and I'm overly anxious to make the right decision.

I can't seem to grasp whether the soundstage of the 750's (or i mean the presence of highs, or increase in detail) would outweigh the bass response of the 550's.  As in, would i favor making that decision?  Theoretically I feel like it's the mature purchase, especially when picking a can that seems favored and differentiates lows/mids/highs in comparison to the 550.  On the other side of things - It's like I'm hungry for that bass response because of the all bass-heavy music I listen to, and I'm afraid the 750's extension will lack impact (guessing from what I've read, due to the 550's dual purpose of bass and drum tracking).  Or furthermore if the 550 will be a more "fun" sounding headphone.  I love playing piano though, and listening to a lot of classical or contemporary folk that has a lot of orchestral elements, and I feel like the 750 could definitely deal with that all of that easier.  Like Sufjan Stevens, Yann Tiersen, Andrew Bird.

I know for sure that I'll absolutely love whichever model I choose, because it's such an upgrade from what I've used previously.  I won't be using any amplication rather than a macbook pro or an iphone/ipod, so that should definitely be taken account for.  Just to clarify I'm not really caught up in the specifics as of now, (as i've read headfi reviews this entire fall semester during sociology on how the ultrasones 'sound' :), but I know there are experienced listeners here that are familiar with these cans that could possibly provide some insight to help me make this decision.  I truly believe the 750's bass response and extension will be incredibly joyful when listening to bass heavy electronic/dubstep, but is the 550 that far behind in terms of resolution, control, space & air?

Happy Holidays!
[/size]

[/size]

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 6
The Pro 550 has a Mylar driver. The Pro 750 has a titanium plated driver which gives you great transparency. I think you'll find that it's not that the Pro 550 has better bass, but the Pro 750 has a sweeter high end because of the titanium. I know some engineers who mix using the Pro 750. They could not do that with the Pro 550.

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 6
Got my daughter 750's for Christmas and took a quick listen before wrapping. I was really surprised at how good they sounded to me since i am used to top tier models generally.

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Went ahead and ordered the 550's!  I think I would have loved the 750's, but with this being my first real set of cans I know I'll still enjoy whatever I end up with. I went ahead and saved that money for something else.  Maybe a little portable amp, and LOC next? :)

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 6
I think you made the right choice as a basshead.

I have the 580's (large driver like 550) the 750's and 900's. For electronica, etc the 580's still have better bass, though the highs are not as detailed as the higher end models. But it's just such a pleasing sound. The 750's are great all rounders. The 900's are my favorites right now, detailed highs and better bass than the 750's, but not the get-up-and-boogie bass of the 580's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back