Searching for R10's long lost cheap twin, for a good time
Jan 18, 2009 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

El_Doug

Headphoneus Supremus
Having heard the MDR-R10's at the last NYC meet, though I only experienced them for 10 minutes in rather loud conditions, I can't stop thinking about their absolutely amazing signature. Lush doesn't even begin to describe the warmth, depth, and silkiness that seemed, to me, to span the entire frequency range.

Of course, $5000+ is twice as much as I spent on my car (hooray for 1995 Corollas!!!), and I also have a policy of not spending more than my SAT score on any single piece of equipment. Typically I like to limit everything to only my Math score, but the K1000's demanded I dip into my somewhat less impressive verbal
icon10.gif
Not to mention the R10's are impossible to find, even if I did win the Mega Millions Jackpot...

That being said, what headphone can I buy that are similar in sound to the R10's? Closed/open, supra/circumaural, I could care less. But anything that can replicate that sound below $1000 would be awesome, and I of course have no objections to anything costing $100

Running through a DacMagic to a MK VI, what kind of options do I have?

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 28
Markl modded D5000 should come close according to the author.. the LA2000 would come even closer.. (those are about $1000) .. could save $200 and get it recabled by APS instead of Jena cables but I don't know if you could tell a difference.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 28
You'll probably have to go the $1,400 level and get a pair of HD800. Of course, I haven't heard them myself, so this is total speculation, but from the early initial impressions, it would seem that they're going to deliver a very satisfying musical presentation for most listeners. Whether they will sound anything like the R10 remains to be seen, but at least one long time R10 owner (Edwood) was very impressed with them.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 28
I had an opportunity to compared the R10 w/ a MarkL modded D5000 at the Tampa meet in November. For an amp I used both a Blue Circle and the Luxman P1.

I preferred the MarkL modded D5000 which also had the Jenna re-cable. Granted this is just one person's opinion.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 28
Finally!! With some of the alternatives that are coming available we are seeing some of the mystique rubbed off exotics like the R10. Maybe prices will follow.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whom are you addressing your question too? What do you mean by what is someone's SAT score?
confused.gif

Ha ha! You'll have to ask your grandkids about that one! SAT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 28
Scoring an R10 should be no problem. Just pay noticeable more than their current going price. Then I am sure someone will part with their.
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 28
Sorry, there's nothing I've heard that sounds a lot like the R10 - they have a very unique presentation that I'd guess can be attributed to their specially hollowed, huge wooden cups and high-quality drivers optimized for said cups. That said, there are other headphones that could be claimed as reasonably close to, similar to, or maybe even better than the R10 in overall level of performance for less money (let's see how the HD800 fares...). However, for that unique R10 presentation - nope, nothing is close. Also, I do find the R10 to be in the very top of the top echelon for technical performance.

Personally I find the R10 to be THE BEST headphone for classical music/ opera (not that I listen to it that much), with only the Qualia 010 coming close in that genre. I also find them arguably the best for vocal reproduction and acoustic instruments in general. I prefer other less expensive dynamic headphones for rock & metal though, and in the end the R10's strengths did not justify its cost for my preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back