Searching for R10's long lost cheap twin, for a good time
Jan 19, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #16 of 28
I am hoping that the HD-800 will best my R10 too!! However, I don't expect the HD800 to better the R10 in musical presentation though. I know the R10 is not the most neutral headphones out there but man oh man they sound so special!

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am hoping that the HD-800 will best my R10 too!! However, I don't expect the HD800 to better the R10 in musical presentation though. I know the R10 is not the most neutral headphones out there but man oh man they sound so special!

quit rubbing it in
angry_face.gif

aw well, I knew these cans were something special like i'd never heard, and I'm sorry to see their qualities are so unique.

maybe someday we'll see a reissue... but i'm not holding by breath

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #18 of 28
Believe it or not, I saw a pair of R10's at a high-end audio shop while on vacation in Florida about two weeks ago. The place didn't seem shady, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're a bootleg of the original. That being said, if anyone's in the Florida area, I don't know exactly where it was, but it was close to Disneyland :p. I didn't check the pricetag because when I tried them on the dealer was like "Woah son, you be careful, those are 4,000 dollar headphones," and being the poor college student that I am I never asked the actual price.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #19 of 28
Ray Samuels had the R10 and HD600 (both recabled, balanced) at a meet last year, and I have to say I was blown away by how close they both sounded to each other on the same system with the same music. The R10 had a more refined treble (more air around instruments and of course was more on the lush side. I like the lack of coloration and bass on the HD600 better.

Maybe that is the ticket - Senns seem to have a bit of a lush midrange, so maybe the HD800 will give you all of those qualities. I prefer more than a couple of headphones to the R10, but I do enjoy their colored sound in general.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe it or not, I saw a pair of R10's at a high-end audio shop while on vacation in Florida about two weeks ago. The place didn't seem shady, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're a bootleg of the original. That being said, if anyone's in the Florida area, I don't know exactly where it was, but it was close to Disneyland :p. I didn't check the pricetag because when I tried them on the dealer was like "Woah son, you be careful, those are 4,000 dollar headphones," and being the poor college student that I am I never asked the actual price.

Those are pretty difficult headphones to counterfeit without being glaringly obvious, especially if you've seen them in person- these aren't plastic PX100s we're talking about here. Though, I suppose an evil person could try replacing the R10 drivers in a genuine R10 shell with something far less worthy.

If legit, for under $5K in excellent condition with box, that might have been a pretty good deal considering the recent market. I imagine you'll soon get a healthy amount of PMs from people requesting more info about this shop.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray Samuels had the R10 and HD600 (both recabled, balanced) at a meet last year, and I have to say I was blown away by how close they both sounded to each other on the same system with the same music. The R10 had a more refined treble (more air around instruments and of course was more on the lush side. I like the lack of coloration and bass on the HD600 better.

Maybe that is the ticket - Senns seem to have a bit of a lush midrange, so maybe the HD800 will give you all of those qualities. I prefer more than a couple of headphones to the R10, but I do enjoy their colored sound in general.

I'm not one of those who is going to tell people to keep listening to cables/amps for weeks if they don't hear a difference at first (for the record I don't think I can hear any reasonable difference between interconnect cables). However, if you thought the R10 and HD600 sounded very similar in a brief evaluation, then I suggest that you really need to listen for a longer period of time in more controlled conditions - and I say this as a person that likes both the HD600 and R10, and has owned both. A meet is a bad environment for this.

That, or there was something malfunctioning in the signal chain that was limiting and/or significantly coloring both headphones.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #24 of 28
I hated the SA5000 the second I put them on - a very rare experience for me. On top of being insanely uncomfortable, they seemed extremely shrill, bright, and piercing. Nothing at all like the R10

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not one of those who is going to tell people to keep listening to cables/amps for weeks if they don't hear a difference at first (for the record I don't think I can hear any reasonable difference between interconnect cables). However, if you thought the R10 and HD600 sounded very similar in a brief evaluation, then I suggest that you really need to listen for a longer period of time in more controlled conditions - and I say this as a person that likes both the HD600 and R10, and has owned both. A meet is a bad environment for this.

That, or there was something malfunctioning in the signal chain that was limiting and/or significantly coloring both headphones.

Ray Samuels who has owned the R10 for years feels that the HD600 is the best headphone ever made. I don't feel that way. In fact, I'm not stating that it is really on the R10 level, but I was very suprised at how the HD600 sounded compared to the R10 in that set up. They were both recabled with what Ray called "military wire". Couldn't tell you what that is.

I'm not making any big claims about the HD600. I've owned the headphone for years and wouldn't put it up with the best headphones. Frankly, the HD650/600 is a bit boring for my taste. They have a midrange that leans on the lush side and might give the OP a similar sound. I realise it's a stretch though.

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray Samuels who has owned the R10 for years feels that the HD600 is the best headphone ever made. I don't feel that way. In fact, I'm not stating that it is really on the R10 level, but I was very suprised at how the HD600 sounded compared to the R10 in that set up. They were both recabled with what Ray called "military wire". Couldn't tell you what that is.

I'm not making any big claims about the HD600. I've owned the headphone for years and wouldn't put it up with the best headphones. Frankly, the HD650/600 is a bit boring for my taste. They have a midrange that leans on the lush side and might give the OP a similar sound. I realise it's a stretch though.

It could be that particular amp is voiced for the HD-600; hence, the HD-600 sounds particular great next to the R10. The difference is pretty night and day on my SDS-SE when I listen to HD-600 and R10 side-by-side. Of course, my amp also voiced for the R10 but with the unlimited tubes options, I can tailor the amp to sound great with every headphones.

Jan 19, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be that particular amp is voiced for the HD-600; hence, the HD-600 sounds particular great next to the R10. The difference is pretty night and day on my SDS-SE when I listen to HD-600 and R10 side-by-side. Of course, my amp also voiced for the R10 but with the unlimited tubes options, I can tailor the amp to sound great with every headphones.

I think that's the case. Ray builds all of his amps with the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back