Searching for a new DAP on a budget?
Nov 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pand4

New Head-Fier
After my Sansa clip+ broke (headphone jack problem) I'm now left with an old Philips MP3 player to listen to my music on whilst travelling.
I'm after something relatively cheap, I don't have a figure but I guess <£100 for now but we'll see.

The thing I loved about the clip+ when rockboxed was the ability to control the balance of the channels so I can have more to the left side so that would be an essential when buying a new player.

I've had a look around but unsure as of yet. I'm more inclined for something with a simple UI and for audio only.
Would be paired with HD25-1 II or some Octone IEM's.
Cheers

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 9

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB, plus Micro-SD memory card.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 9

Pand4

New Head-Fier
To be fair I was really pleased with the clip+, I see there isn't a whole lot of difference with the clip zip from some reviews.
Anything else to consider? I haven't had any experience with the likes of Cowon, Fiio etc.

I'm currently looking up the Fiio X3, need to have a bit more of a browse on here otherwise at reviews/experience and so on.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 9

Zalithian

Headphoneus Supremus
The x3 sounds like the Clip to me, just easier to navigate, more output power, and more versatile since you can use it as a DAC. A reasonable upgrade but not so much for sound.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 9

Pand4

New Head-Fier
Sounds good.
Had used my clip+ with a CMOY I was given, I find to be a nice addition to power the HD25 but looking to upgrade that at some point so I think having something more 'all in one' like the X3 would be pretty reasonable otherwise. Seems it has a channel balance feat on there too which is a bonus still.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 9

Pand4

New Head-Fier
Hmm, was more edging towards purchasing the DX50 but after reading it can't be used as a USB DAC and has no options to control the balance on the channels like the X3 I'm more inclined to get that now.

Question is...
Would it worth saving a little cash by getting a Clip+ and a DAC/AMP like the Fiio E17 or just going all out and getting the X3 as it has all 3?

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 9

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
  Hmm, was more edging towards purchasing the DX50 but after reading it can't be used as a USB DAC and has no options to control the balance on the channels like the X3 I'm more inclined to get that now.

Question is...
Would it worth saving a little cash by getting a Clip+ and a DAC/AMP like the Fiio E17 or just going all out and getting the X3 as it has all 3?

To the best of my knowledge, the Clip+ could not use the E17's DAC, just it's amp.

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 9

Pand4

New Head-Fier

To the best of my knowledge, the Clip+ could not use the E17's DAC, just it's amp.

Yup, understood that. Would be more for the amp I suppose with the Clip+ but using the E17's DAC on the computer. I'm thinking for more portability(?) and simplicity to have something like the X3 as it's all there. Just need to read a little more about it I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread