SE535 or Westone 4?
Sep 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #31 of 47
I would not use it without an amp.  I found it to be the most inefficient IEM of all in my sig. (from a volume standpoint)

But if you listen on the quiet side or not very loud it probably wouldn't matter.

Sep 9, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #32 of 47
Well given the limited number of iems youve owned i guess im not surprised...im joking of course.  really, like 30+
Ive never needed to max out the volume on any of my sources with the W4s so thats not an issue.  Did you find that an amp improved the sound quality/clarity/signature/stage,etc?

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #33 of 47

Quote:
Well given the limited number of iems youve owned i guess im not surprised...im joking of course.  really, like 30+
Ive never needed to max out the volume on any of my sources with the W4s so thats not an issue.  Did you find that an amp improved the sound quality/clarity/signature/stage,etc?

I did not have the amp when I had W4 but would love to have tried it.  I feel certain it would have helped.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #34 of 47
W4s definietly between these two. Though you may want to consider saving for customs.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:
Guys,

I have some money to burn and it comes down to these two IEMs. I've previously owned UE SF5 and SF5.Pro, and ATH-ES7. It's time for an upgrade. 

Which one of these have a better build quality and sound isolation? I'm more concerned about these two aspects than the sound quality - I'm sure both will be awesome sounding.

SE535 for shure!

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #36 of 47
I've tried both and can say without a doubt that the W4 is the better IEM overall in terms of SQ. It just sounds natural... as in, the way the music would sound if played right in front of you. The SE535, well... it just sounds wrong. The mids are far too forward to me. The whole sound signature is quite warm.

I do love the fit and build of the Shure though. I'd say they easily trump the 4 there as well as in isolation although fit is highly subjective. If you get some Shure olives for the 4's you'd probably have equal isolation though. I have SE215s as a backup set and for use on long airline trips because I like the fit, build, and isolation of the Shures so much.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:
w4's are outstanding as are the 535's...what makes the 535's my go to pair however is the fact that i get far better isolation with the 535's

If you install the shure olive tips, the size that will fit your canal, over the w4, you will get the same or verry similar isolation. With in bonus, a better SQ!  :)

May 1, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #41 of 47
I wonder if people would say that the W4 sound signature is like Beyer OTE headphones and Shure are like Sennheiser OTE. Seems like it to me. 

From what I can tell the W4 are more clinical with a wider sound stage, similar to Beyer. While Shure are more like Sennheiser (I think only people who've used higher end Beyers and Sennheiser 650hd would know what I mean). More musical. 

I remember people saying that they prefer Beyers open and clinical sound to Sennheiser but some people prefer the musical qualities of Sennheiser to clinical sound of Beyer. I really like Shure's sound signature for IEM phones. They remind me of the 650 hds I owned.  But I haven't heard the W4. 

May 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #42 of 47
Would people generally say the 535 are more musical while the Westone 4 are more clinical? I have experimented with high end headphones in the past. Beyer DT880 vs Sennheiser 650HD and I much prefer a bit warm and musical headphones to very clinical ones with a wide sound stage. The reason I purchased 535's is because Shure's sound signature reminds me of Sennheisers big cans. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:
I wonder if people would say that the W4 sound signature is like Beyer OTE headphones and Shure are like Sennheiser OTE. Seems like it to me. 

From what I can tell the W4 are more clinical with a wider sound stage, similar to Beyer. While Shure are more like Sennheiser (I think only people who've used higher end Beyers and Sennheiser 650hd would know what I mean). More musical. 

I remember people saying that they prefer Beyers open and clinical sound to Sennheiser but some people prefer the musical qualities of Sennheiser to clinical sound of Beyer. I really like Shure's sound signature for IEM phones. They remind me of the 650 hds I owned.  But I haven't heard the W4. 

That's an interesting statement and something that I would also like to know.

If anyone could confirm if the W4s have a similar signature to the T1s, it would be much appreciated.

I ask because I'm having a hard time finding a pair of W4s to audition myself. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back