SE535 or Westone 4?
Sep 4, 2011 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

ilreceiver

New Head-Fier
Guys,

I have some money to burn and it comes down to these two IEMs. I've previously owned UE SF5 and SF5.Pro, and ATH-ES7. It's time for an upgrade. 

Which one of these have a better build quality and sound isolation? I'm more concerned about these two aspects than the sound quality - I'm sure both will be awesome sounding.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 47
Hey.

All I can comment on is the W4's - I've had these for 1 week now and I can't keep the **** things outta my ears!!

I previously had the Ety HF5's which have been retired! Can't offer comparison with the Shure's as I don't own.

Using through an iPod Classic, LOD, FiiO E11.

Absolutely love the sound coming out of these guys....very clear, detailed and engaging. Toe tapping, head rocking kinda response for me.
Very happy to have spent my $$ on these.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either of these IEM's. There is plenty to read about them on this forum if you search back through some threads if you need more details from the experts (of which I am not)

Please enjoy. - 
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 47
W4`s. Just do everything better than the 535`s.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 47
w4's are outstanding as are the 535's...what makes the 535's my go to pair however is the fact that i get far better isolation with the 535's

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 47
The Westone 4 are better balanced IEMs with great built quality and they isolate almost same.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 47
Westone 4 sounds amazing and the wire is magnificent. The shure 535 has a thick cable that is uncomfortable for some and the W4 has a very lightweight cable and very durable.

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 47
Between the two, IMO the W4 wins on comfort, whereas in terms of both build and isolation, the two are nearly equally as good. Though in all honestly, I'd have to say, Olives > Comply. Not to mention, I'd take the W4's braided cable over the SE535's memory wire any given day; but that's merely based on preference. 
smile.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 47
you don't say what they'll be paired with.  I use mine with iMod and Stepdance amp.  Contacted Sound Earphones and asked them their choice between the two when listening to jazz, female jazz vocals and classical and their answer was the Westone 4.  So far, a very happy customer and loving the sound and soundstage coming out of the 4

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 47
FOTM IMO. The W4 was released just this February, whereas the SE535 has been available since May 2010. Just my 2 cents. I personally feel they both deserve equal merit/consideration. 
smile.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 47

Quote:
W4`s. Just do everything better than the 535`s.

How would you know? You've had neither. I wouldn't give my SE535's for W4 ever, because the SE535's are much funner, and the W4's are more raw and neutral.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 47
Were you meant to quote me?
I find the W4`s as close to spot on as I have found soo far. You will see my thoughts in the W4 thread.

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #15 of 47

Quote:
Were you meant to quote me?
I find the W4`s as close to spot on as I have found soo far. You will see my thoughts in the W4 thread.

Obviously because i quoted you, and yesterday you had the W3's in your sig, so you changed that,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back