SE535, good portable setup?
Mar 9, 2013 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jmcejuela

New Head-Fier
I recently got a Shure SE535 (Special Edition) when I was in Hong Kong. It's my first truly high-end audio device. Before I had a Sennheiser HD 595.

The problem that I have with these earphones is that I can hear a very noticeable and annoying hiss when I connect them directly to an iPod nano 3rd generation or to a macbook pro from 2010. After reading in the forums, I believe it's due to a very high sensitivity of the phones (119 db SPL) and a low impedance. The problem therefore lies in the source. Indeed, when I use a decent Desktop DAC I hear no hiss at all.

In order to fix things with my portable setup I'm considering the following:

* Get an iPod classic 6th generation
* Get a decent portable DAC like a FiiO E07K or the E17.

As much as I understand, getting a good amplifier won't do much good with a high sensitivity IEM.

I have then some questions:

1) Somebody owing a very high sensitivity IEM can share his/her experience with an iPod cl. 6th, how is the hiss?
2) E07K vs E17: is it worth to pay more for the E17? --> What's the real difference?
3) Perhaps do you have another recommendation for a good and affordable DAC?
4) Should I actually consider an amp?

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 13
I think you choose the right direction to improve soundquality and remove hiss because iPo classic has large space and you can put lossless files on it. But lossless files need AMPs help to improve overall soundquality with good amping they increase vastely in term of soundquality. I will recommend to try JDS Labs O2 AMPS/DAC and there AMPs like C5 sound amazing for the price(very clean, highly detailed and silent background)and clear upgrade over Fiio E17. IMO iPod Classic with C5 will sound amazing and O2 DAC for desktop use with C5 willbe another great sounding combo.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks. The problem is not because of the audio file format quality as I only listen to lossless alac, both on my ipod and mac. I'm looking for a n on-the-go solution, so I won't get the O2.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 13
my expierence with the se535 reds is that they sound pure bliss with a amplifier i was using the se535 reds with the dream cable ibasso p4 warbler and the lme4990 opamp its a superb setup most definitly.

i definitly think you should consider a amplifier these iem's sound amazing paired with a amp. the problem is what amp to go with there are so many amps out there.

with the se535 reds i used the fiio e7, and the ibasso p4 and i defiintly favored the ibasso.

i no longer have the 535 reds but i do have the se530 which although not the same, they are simular to the 535s and i just got the jds labs c421 8620 version.... you can go with the 2227 version also. i highly recomend this amp its super portable, sounds great probably the best sounding amp under 300.00 although i imagine the c5 has a on par sound with the c421 but its 190.00 and the 421 can be had used for 100-130.00 its a really hard to beat amp when it comes to sound vs cost.

as to address the his you can always go with a ipod LOD and a aftermarket amp,  with my setup and the reds it was pitch black no hiss or anything....with the lod you will directly avert the ipod amp and directly use whatever amp you choose to go with.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 13
Nice, I appreciate the recommendations. Yeah, after researching some more, I realize I was wrong. The hiss is actually created by the ipod's amp (...right?) I thought that the E07K or E17 bypassed the ipod's dac but this is not true. For what I could read in the forums, only the Algorithm Solo and the hp-p1 can bypass the dac. So yes, as for the hiss, any decent/good amp with a LOD cable will do. This does bypass the ipod's amp.

Considering shipping to Europe, good devices I can find are:

* C5, JDS Labs
* cMobyBB, JDS Labs
* FiiO E17

The C5 looks amazing and I'm reading very good reviews of it. The cMobyBB receives very good comments too and is way cheaper. On the other hand the E17 would also solve the hiss with my laptop when I carry it around. Or maybe another one...

Guess I need some more pondering 
rolleyes.gif
 -- Thanks for the help!

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 13
correct using the line out dock bypasses the internal amp of the ipod and directly uses the amplifier that you would purchase ie: e17,c5,e7 ect.

this setup is better becuase if you arent using a lod then you are basicly amplifying the amplifier and this can cause some issues with hiss, also isnt as clean of a signal going to the aftermarket amplifier so you wouldnt fully be using a aftermarket amplifier to its full ability unless a lod was used.

if i was you out of the amps listen for iems the c5 is a Excellent choice. jds labs amps are top notch in quality build and quality sound. imo nothing beats the c5 in the price range...

Jun 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 13
I am new to owning 535 as you are. My current on the go is iPod classic. 535s and jds c5 amp. I get a very good sound from it and amp/iPod looks good paired together also.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
I am new to owning 535 as you are. My current on the go is iPod classic. 535s and jds c5 amp. I get a very good sound from it and amp/iPod looks good paired together also.

there so much potnetial to extract from your current setup. first a 535 cable upgrade,LOD dock upgrade you still cn extract ALOT more sound quality out of your setup if you wanted

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
there so much potnetial to extract from your current setup. first a 535 cable upgrade,LOD dock upgrade you still cn extract ALOT more sound quality out of your setup if you wanted

I don't want to start a cable discussion, but don't you think it's a waste to spend hundreds of dollars on cables for a $200 amp? Why not upgrade the source first?

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

i think you are right.   i am hopefully picking up a new cable today.   I was looking at DACs and the salesman showed me some cables......i really didnt hear an outright change with the DACs (clas. fostex. sony.....probably both my ears and limited time to test).  But I really did (or tricked my own ears) hear an improvement with a new cable.   I was lucky out of the 8 different models they have he gave me the cheapest first and most ecxpensive last (i wasnt aware).   With the first cable I heard a difference from the stock cable.  But from the cheapest to most expensive I couldnt hear any difference......so I was very happy to order the cheapest.

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 13
In the end I got an ipod classic 160gb and the hiss almost disappeared, or at least definitely much better than the ipod nano 3rd gen. I was satisfied enough with the sound quality so I didn't get an amp yet.

Recently my cables broke. They are quite fragile as I see. So, some cable recommendations for these specific earphones would be much appreciated. I like the Shure 535's signature as it is. Don't want to change it much nor add it bass. Some recommendations?

I will look into the modding too. Thanks!

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #13 of 13
  Recently my cables broke. They are quite fragile as I see. So, some cable recommendations for these specific earphones would be much appreciated. I like the Shure 535's signature as it is. Don't want to change it much nor add it bass. Some recommendations?

New to the forums, first post.  

I recently upgraded my 535 cables from the stock to Oyaide HPE-SE cables and am enjoying them.  Nice construction, love the color (red), fit is comfortable behind the ear, and as for impact on the sound, it's like I picked a little cotton out of my ears.  Highs were a touch more crisp, bass a bit firmer/tighter.  Very subtle, but I'm definitely feeling like I'm getting more out of my 535s than I had been for the last couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back