SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
Dec 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #316 of 590
  Why would you swap it? White dampers, in theory should be same. No reason to risk taking them out, if you are only going to replace them with the same filters. At least they should have same acoustic resistance, so they should sound the same...

Though the same regarding general frequency response ... I still thought the Knowles dampers had greater clarity and detail .. with the stock Shure filters sounding veiled in comparison. I wrote a fairly lengthy post about this a good while back and in this thread where I discussed this. I found it quite noticeable and in the end, considered the Knowles dampers to provide a more resolved overall sound...

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #317 of 590

Though the same regarding general frequency response ... I still thought the Knowles dampers had greater clarity and detail .. with the stock Shure filters sounding veiled in comparison. I wrote a fairly lengthy post about this a good while back and in this thread where I discussed this. I found it quite noticeable and in the end, considered the Knowles dampers to provide a more resolved overall sound...

Huh. That's interesting. Any info on the resistance of the dampers you got?

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #318 of 590
  Huh. That's interesting. Any info on the resistance of the dampers you got?

I really couldn't say ... they re just the typical Knowles white dampers (part number 721-BF-1859-000), at this page (though the image there is obviously not the damper they shipped me.

The product data sheet says "1khz sensitivity = 680" ... 

Further, there is an obvious difference in the construction materials when comparing the stock Shure filters and these dampers. The Shure filters seem more like a plastic/fibrous mesh of sorts whereas the Knowles are obviously a metal tube of sorts with (metal) a perforated screen...

Regardless, I notice a quite pronounced difference between the two white variants ... the freqs seem the same but the Knowles seem more detailed and less congested/muddy sounding...

Best...

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #319 of 590

I really couldn't say ... they re just the typical Knowles white dampers (part number 721-BF-1859-000), at this page (though the image there is obviously not the damper they shipped me.

The product data sheet says "1khz sensitivity = 680" ... 

Further, there is an obvious difference in the construction materials when comparing the stock Shure filters and these dampers. The Shure filters seem more like a plastic/fibrous mesh of sorts whereas the Knowles are obviously a metal tube of sorts with (metal) a perforated screen...

Regardless, I notice a quite pronounced difference between the two white variants ... the freqs seem the same but the Knowles seem more detailed and less congested/muddy sounding...

Best...

Huh. If that's so, I say give it a shot. It's not that hard to pull out the filter, so it would be worth it.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #324 of 590
  I used the wax loop shure gave me to remove the filters.

I ended up buying the etymotic filter removal tool from ebay (5$ shipped but I guess it was the last one)
Every time I travel to the States I tend to buy those small things that I would never buy in Canada like connectors, adapters, soldering tools and this time, the shure filters. We'll see the differences soon. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #325 of 590
  I ended up buying the etymotic filter removal tool from ebay (5$ shipped but I guess it was the last one)
Every time I travel to the States I tend to buy those small things that I would never buy in Canada like connectors, adapters, soldering tools and this time, the shure filters. We'll see the differences soon. 

UK people can get the tool here

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #330 of 590
  Orange is a great one(my personal rec)

I've listened to a range of music on the original filters (died on removal so not retried...), brown grey and orange and have concluded the following:

• the Knowles are a lot better made and more robust than the original Shure.
  • Removing and replacing gets easier with practice. Although I wouldn't recommend changing them between tracks in a moving vehicle, I could certainly see myself changing from time to time for different types of day (active listening to particular music v. background noise obstruction whilst reading or study, for example).
  • I never get bored of "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"
  • My two favourites so far are grey for active listening (really love the detail and aggressive brass/strings feel) and orange/brown (for comforting listening, nice bass but without the attention grabbing detail).

I think I need to keep trying different music (the acoustic version of "creep" is excellent with the greys)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back