SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
Sep 1, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #301 of 590
When working out on my last day of holidays my right TDK BA200 got muted when i did what you never shoud do when working out (take out the iem to listen to the missus and then reinserting again. Squeezing a wet Shure olive is like dropping a glass of sweat onto the acoustic daper).

Since 48 hour buried in silica gel did not solve the cloggging i bumped into this thread. Somehow i manage to take out the clogged damper (with an allen wrench) ruining it in the process. To my delight the sound pressure level got back to normal. I had and spare white damper that Shure sent last summer (Yes, Shure can send dampers if you cry enough). I put it in and the BA200 were usable again with the caveat that the soundstage was bit tilted to the right (since the left piece still used the Sonion red 2200ohms damper).

So i ordered from Eytmotics the removal tool bundled with 4 green filter. I placed them and now the BA200 are rocking and with better treble than with stock red damper.

Bottom of the story: this mod works on the BA200 as well. Actually it saved mine.

Thanks to everybody involved.

FTR i tried to fiddle with my acting up Westone UM3x-rec dampers but it did not look feasible to take them out without destroying them and endangering the nozzle. Since i'm sending them in for repairs i did not want to break anything and gave up.

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #302 of 590
Was able to snag new SE535s from the London Drugs sale last month ($399!) and just now placed an order for some filters. I've got white, red, green, grey, orange and brown coming my way. Looking forward to further tuning the sound to my tastes!

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #304 of 590
Does anyone know if it is possible to do this mod on other shures like Se215, 315, 425?

I know it's possible to add the filter because it has the same nozzle design and a little stopper for the filter. On the se215 there is actually no acoustic filter in place, just a blank slot,

Would there be any benefit to adding a filter?

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #305 of 590
Does anyone know if it is possible to do this mod on other shures like Se215, 315, 425?

I know it's possible to add the filter because it has the same nozzle design and a little stopper for the filter. On the se215 there is actually no acoustic filter in place, just a blank slot,

In theory yes. SE215 doesn't have a filter, and I wouldn't add a filter if I where you, but who knows.

You could always try. It doesn't cost too much.

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #306 of 590

Filters seem to cut down mids and treble depending on the acoustic impedance. So adding filters will tame mids and treble which i don't think suits well to the already warm tone of the SE215.

It might be more interesting to try with the SE425 in order to get it a bit warmer.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #307 of 590
All, 

I just received my Mouser order and the Grey dampers came not as 2 dampers, but two containers, 200 dampers total.

So if anyone wants some grey dampers, send a PM my way and I can get a pile of them sent off to you for the cost of postage.

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #308 of 590
Is the shipping to the US as insane as it is to Croatia from Mouser? Because I got an estimated price of 100 euros for one box. That's insane, considering dampers themselves cost like 1.5. If so, where did you guys get yours from?

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #311 of 590
Got my brown dampers a few days ago and they're just amazing. They add that needed extra oomph, while at the same time taming a significant amount of the sibilance I was hearing with the stock dampers.

Speaking of which, I was able to buy the Etymotic filter removal tool for only 4.99 on eBay and was able to take the dampers out all in one go without damaging them at all :wink:

So thumbs up from me too, for the Etymotic filter remover in case anyone was on the fence about it like I was.

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #313 of 590
Just a random thought for those who might be concerned ...

My year old pair of 535's blew a driver about a month ago; I had long ago installed the white aftermarket dampers but just sent them in for warranty replacement anyway (didn't know if they'd hassle over the dampers or even notice).

Anyway ... Shure replaced the headphones without ever mentioning the dampers.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I should rip out the stock dampers and replace them with the aftermarket whites. I found the whites to be about the same as stock in regards to overall frequency but also to be quite a bit more transparent/detailed than the stock filters. I remember it taking some getting used to but overall the dampers from Knowles yielded a less veiled, and a bit less "overly warm" sound ...

But just an FYI on the warranty thing ...

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #314 of 590
BTW: does anybody have any spare "WHITE" dampers you don't want?  Would love to avoid having to go through Mouser if I can ...

PM me!

.joel

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #315 of 590
  Just a random thought for those who might be concerned ...

My year old pair of 535's blew a driver about a month ago; I had long ago installed the white aftermarket dampers but just sent them in for warranty replacement anyway (didn't know if they'd hassle over the dampers or even notice).

Anyway ... Shure replaced the headphones without ever mentioning the dampers.

Now I'm trying to decide whether I should rip out the stock dampers and replace them with the aftermarket whites. I found the whites to be about the same as stock in regards to overall frequency but also to be quite a bit more transparent/detailed than the stock filters. I remember it taking some getting used to but overall the dampers from Knowles yielded a less veiled, and a bit less "overly warm" sound ...

But just an FYI on the warranty thing ...

Why would you swap it? White dampers, in theory should be same. No reason to risk taking them out, if you are only going to replace them with the same filters. At least they should have same acoustic resistance, so they should sound the same...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back