Scotch
Jan 10, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #436 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's the first I've seen of the Macallans 19 that's exclusively bottled for Costco as it's not yet available the local Costcos where I shop. Will have to keep an eye out for a bottle when they become available, how much did it cost?

It was $69. The funny thing is I picked up a new watch for $68 and a bottle of scotch for $69! I live in Northern California, not sure about Costco's distributing and where it starts and what not.

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #437 of 653
Hey Tyson

Thanks for keeping this thread going...I'm realtively new to the Scotch crowd...in college a professor would host Poetry and Scotch night...there was also Beer and Bull night...but that's a different story....

In any event, he exposed me to Scotch drinink with a Laphroig 15...my taste memory must be better than my hearing because I was prompted to pick up said bottle again some 5 years later and recalled all the same great smokey/peaty taste with delight.

I bought that bottle after a friend bought me a Dalmore 12 for my 30th...he reasoned that it cost roughly $30 so it must be the one to get me. In any event...that was 6 months ago and today I bought a 3rd bottle to try...Glennfiddich 12.

I recalled seeing this thread of your a few years back and just got to it through the search...It looks to be a great guide for the years ahead!

Cheers
Chad

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #438 of 653
Thanks for the reviews! I am also a scotch fan, my favorites being Talisker 10 and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

I've got a bottle of 1992 Talisker distiller's edition waiting for me. Does anyone have any opinion/has tried that?

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #439 of 653
Might I recommend the OP try Laphroaig Quarter Cask? I find it phenomenal and I think you'll like it very much.

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #440 of 653
I'm working a bottle of the Macallan Cask Strength. I think it is a bargain at just over $40.
Although there is no age statement, it is nice and oakey. The main note is caramel, but I think there are hints of orange and even a little spicy cinnamon. I like it best straight, but since it is about 115 proof, I usually water it to stretch out the experience! This bottle came packaged with a cute hip flask, but I don't think I'll be using that much!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #441 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm working a bottle of the Macallan Cask Strength. I think it is a bargain at just over $40.
Although there is no age statement, it is nice and oakey. The main note is caramel, but I think there are hints of orange and even a little spicy cinnamon. I like it best straight, but since it is about 115 proof, I usually water it to stretch out the experience! This bottle came packaged with a cute hip flask, but I don't think I'll be using that much!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounds quite interesting! It has been over just over 2 years since I bought my last bottle of scotch, I think I will take the plunge and pick up a bottle. At 115 proof, I'll be having that cut for sure, perhaps on ice...but I'll be able to stretch it for quite a while.

People like me really appreciate these recommendations guys, please keep them coming!

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #442 of 653
Earlier today I ordered the last bottle on BevMo's website of the out-of-production Bruichladdich Infinity. I first tried this when I visited Edinburgh over the summer and it was, by far, the most complex, intense, and downright best whisky I've tried to date. Considering how much I love it and that it's near impossible to find nowadays, the nearly $100 price tag didn't phase me in the slightest. If any of you ever get a chance to try this, you should definitely go for it, especially if you're a fan of Islay single malts like me.

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #443 of 653
I just picked up a bottle of the dalwhinnie 15. I really like it thus far. I'm having it on the rocks, so I suppose it is cut about 80:20 at this point. I find that it is very smooth and dry but then has this gorgeous finish, its quite smokey if I have that right. I have not picked up a bottle of scotch in a long time and thought I would have a grab at something different. There were plenty of Glenmorangies and Lagavulins which I've some experience with so I went with the only dalwhinnie they had, the 15. It was a bit pricier than I would have liked but otherwise I'm very pleased. It is likely the second smoothest scotch I've ever had.

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #444 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up a bottle of the dalwhinnie 15. I really like it thus far. I'm having it on the rocks, so I suppose it is cut about 80:20 at this point. I find that it is very smooth and dry but then has this gorgeous finish, its quite smokey if I have that right. I have not picked up a bottle of scotch in a long time and thought I would have a grab at something different. There were plenty of Glenmorangies and Lagavulins which I've some experience with so I went with the only dalwhinnie they had, the 15. It was a bit pricier than I would have liked but otherwise I'm very pleased. It is likely the second smoothest scotch I've ever had.

Yes, the Dalwhinnie starts smooth and malty for me too and then finishes in smoke, though I'd say it is fairly subtle smoke. I also think the shape of the bottle is really cool.

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #445 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the Dalwhinnie starts smooth and malty for me too and then finishes in smoke, though I'd say it is fairly subtle smoke. I also think the shape of the bottle is really cool.

I'm sure there are lots of smokier out there, my experience is just so limited that this is the smokiest I've tasted I guess. What is fun though is being able to detect the nuances of the drink. I figure, I'm only grasping 20% of it at this point but I'm hoping with practice
biggrin.gif
I should be well on my way to being able to recommend in a few years. I will admit to being a whimp. I need smooth and not too strong. Some of those killer peaties would destroy me at this point. Like when I started with red wines... I needed to begin with the Pinot Noir before I was able to really handle a Shiraz with some skill.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #446 of 653
Speaking of smoke, for my first dram back after my heart attack, I had the Laphroiag 30 yr old - YUM!

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #447 of 653
Oh man, one day I hope to try a dram of Laphroaig 30. How does it compare to 15 Cask Strength or Quarter Cask?

Hope you feel well!

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #448 of 653
I just got a bottle of Talisker 18 to open up at the end of this semester. Anything I should expect? Talisker 10 is one of my favs.

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #449 of 653
after only having "lismore" at trader joe's (for 13 bucks you can't beat it
smily_headphones1.gif
) i tried a glass of lagavulin 16 at the local pub. wow, knocked my socks off. i'm going to the local liquor mart tonight to get a couple bottles of scotch. they have 20% off sale. ardbeg is definitely on my list as my uncle named his boat "spirit of ardbeg" (big scotch afficianado, sails to scotland from norway all the time, has his own cask at a few distilleries)

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #450 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My downfall. utterly irresistable. Nectar of the gods. It's like sucking honey out of the nipples of life
smily_headphones1.gif

greatest description ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back