Scotch
Sep 11, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #406 of 653
wondering if tyson tasted the blended scotches with water. I prefer all of them neat actually but i have yet to taste a single malt scotch outside of johnny walker green by the way so who knows, i might prefer all of them neat out of a cognac glass. single malts are just not available where I live.

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #407 of 653
Looks like I won't be contributing to this thread anymore, I had a heart attack & have given up scotch.

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #409 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Looks like I won't be contributing to this thread anymore, I had a heart attack & have given up scotch.

Ow! I hope you are recovering nicely and enjoying the music.
eek.gif
plainface.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #410 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
wondering if tyson tasted the blended scotches with water. I prefer all of them neat actually but i have yet to taste a single malt scotch outside of johnny walker green by the way so who knows, i might prefer all of them neat out of a cognac glass. single malts are just not available where I live.

JW Green is not a "single malt", though it is a blend of nothing but malts--I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I think that good blended Scotches are the same as single malts regarding water--you really have to experiment with each one to see how you like it.

Sep 11, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #411 of 653
Quote:

My very best wishes for healing and for your general well being!!!!!

Thank you for sharing your thoroughly enjoyable -- and incredibly informative Scotch Journey with us.

I can't think of adequate words -- but my thoughts and heartfelt wishes go with you.

Best Regards,
Peter

Sep 11, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #412 of 653
Thanks guys, I'm doing well. Sucks to be 34 & realize that cheesecake & Ice Cream & Scotch are pretty much off limits for the rest of your life.

That sounds a little whiney, so let me add that I'm really happy to just be alive, and dealing with the low/no fat diet is certainly better than being dead.

Sep 12, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #413 of 653
Perhaps it's time for a more positive Av -- unless ol' Nick is a reminder of some sort...

Sep 12, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #414 of 653
Sorry to hear about your condition tyson. You posted a legendary thread. I would have never thought of single malts if it werent for this thread. I was so ignorant before that I thought tullamore dew and jamesons were single malts. I dismissed single malts altogether because i found nothing special with those drinks and highly prefer blended scotches like johnny walker, J&B, and chivas Regal. Now the problem is these single malts are not available in my town. Glenfiddich is the only one popular enough to make it in our stores

Sep 12, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #415 of 653
Quote:

Thanks guys, I'm doing well. Sucks to be 34 & realize that cheesecake & Ice Cream & Scotch are pretty much off limits for the rest of your life.

That sounds a little whiney, so let me add that I'm really happy to just be alive, and dealing with the low/no fat diet is certainly better than being dead.

Tyson,
I'm sorry to hear of your health problems man. I do hope you recover fully and yes, even a live dog is better than a dead lion. Life is good.

I hope your doc doesn't strap you with a no/low fat diet, high in simple carbohydrates. That will clog your arteries faster than 2 rib-eyes a day.

Check out the Perricone diet. It makes sense to me. Ask your doc about it.
Click Here for link

Sep 12, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #416 of 653
Oh, a question about snifters. I noticed that with a smaller snifter, not much of the alcohols fumes can be inhaled compared to a larger one. Is a larger snifter generally better then?

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #417 of 653
I recently took a trip to Scotland and was in Edinburgh for a couple weeks. While there, I spent a decent amount of time in the Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre sampling various single malts there. I really came to love the smoky/peatyness of the island single malts. My favorites were:

Caol Ila 12 y/o
Caol Ila Cask Strength
Ardbeg 10 y/o
Bruichladdich Infinity

That last one was very intense (due to the high ABV) with lots of complex flavors that lingered in the mouth for a very long time. I highly recommend it, though it's not being produced any more and could be hard to find! Last time I checked, BevMo.com had a couple bottles for sale...

Oct 21, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #418 of 653
Quote:

Scotch has become one of my "other" passions outside of audio and music, and I thought I might share some of my experiences in trying various scotches. I hope others find this enjoyable and useful reading.

Aberlour a'bundah
ooh, a cask strength (120 proof) Aberlour. Yummy! Tastes like buttered toffee, chocolate, and cheyenne pepper. Careful, more than a glass or 2 of this will knock you on your ass. I think I've posted about this one before, but it's so good it's worth reposting.

This stuff is brutal. I started out an evening drinking some with my parents while visiting them a while back, 4 hours later (I had several glasses of it, after having a couple glasses of Gold Label) I was totally tossed. You don't taste the amount of alcohol crammed in that bad boy.

Quote:

Macallan 12 - new triangle label
This is the newest bottling from Macallan, brought out recently after they had also brought out their "Fine Oak" series of Bourbon cask aged whisky. This new sherry aged Macallan 12 is FAR, FAR better than the previous sherry bottlings over the last few years. I know that demand for Macallan had outstripped supply over the past few years, so my theory is that they had started scraping bottom on their supply, and they came out with the Fine Oak Range specifically to cut demand for the Sherry Oak range, which allowed them to be a lot more choosy about good quality Sherry casks that they bottled. Whatever, all I can say is that this new Mac 12 is BETTER than my Mac 18 and my Mac Cask Strength bottlings here. For $40 this is a no brainer - BUY IT.

I agree 100%, I think this stuff is just incredible for the price ($38 at Costco!):
so_12yr_old_pop.jpg

Quote:

Macallan 25
Finally got to try this on a business trip (company paying for food & drink, woohoo!). I have to say it is the finest Mac I've ever had and one of the best scotches so far. It has all the smooth clean flavor of the new triangle-label 12 year old, with the traditional intense malt/sherry sweetness upfront, but it is balanced by the gentlest, most layered, delicious old oak/vanilla flavor imaginable. Finish is loong and complex, layers and layers of wood infused malt. Really great stuff.

My dad also has a bottle of this. I think it is good, but not for the money. It is better than Blue Label (sipping some right now) though, which I used to think was one of the best scotches I had had (I know, I know, it is blended and 'lame').
Quote:

Johnnie Walker Gold
Buttery smooth and lightly sweet. Really good blend. Does this even have grain whisky in it? Of course that's a rhetorical quesion because all blends have grain whisky, but this one is so smooth and light you just don't taste it.

Chivas Regal 12
Well, this is definitely one smooth, sweet, non-offensive whisky. But a bit boring for me, there's not character and no flavor development. Definitely better than the Johnnie Walker Red rotgut, but not as good as the Johnnie Walker Black, IMO.

I also really think Gold Label is the best JW products for the money. IMO it is far superior to Black Label, while still being reasonably priced. Chivas is also pretty decent for $19 a bottle at Costco. As you said, it is smooth if nothing else. No frills, just decent.

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #419 of 653
Debaser86: Thanks for the tip - I went to BevMo and snagged one of the last two bottles of Infinity - over $100 with shipping to my connection to here in the "protected" state of WA...

My connection also gifted me with a bottle of Laphroaig 10 YO "Straight from the Wood", Cask Strength...

Bottles of bliss/retirement has its rewards.

Thanks be to TISON, may you heal/recover well.

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #420 of 653
Tyson,

Sorry to hear about your heart attack...well hopefully if you recover well you can have a glass for super special occassions.

This is an awesome thread.

Got a bottle of Macallan 15 for Christmas from my father in law who is also a Scotch lover. Between that and the Ardbeg 10 I just finished, it was a warm December for me
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back