Scotch
Jan 5, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #421 of 653
Good news, I've responded extremely well to my medication and lifestyle changes, so the Dr. has OK'd me to drink small amounts of scotch and bourbon on a regular basis. Look for more updates soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #423 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news, I've responded extremely well to my medication and lifestyle changes, so the Dr. has OK'd me to drink small amounts of scotch and bourbon on a regular basis. Look for more updates soon
smily_headphones1.gif

That's great news Tyson! Glad you're back in the saddle. Moderation in all things, my friend!

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #424 of 653
Tyson,

Glad to hear you are doing better, keep it up!

Jan 5, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #426 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Excellent! And not just because we get the updates.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #427 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, a question about snifters. I noticed that with a smaller snifter, not much of the alcohols fumes can be inhaled compared to a larger one. Is a larger snifter generally better then?

Sorry, I missed this one when it was posted.

The official story on tasting glasses is that it is the shape and not the size that matters. There should be a wide part near the bottom to expose some surface area and then a narrow opening to "concentrate" the vapor. You are supposed to stuff your nose right in there.
For more casual nosing, a big brandy snifter might be more convenient. [though even for cognac and nice brandies, the small, narrow opening is best].

Jan 6, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #428 of 653
This one's hardly one of the usually recommended shapes, it was inexpensive (crystal), it's small (roughly 3.5 inches diam. max., about 4+ inches high) -- but I'm very happy with it. I use it for cold sake as well (not for the black sheep ale back there...).

The Bowmore Dusk is heavenly out of this little snifter.

BowmoreDuskSnftr-BlkShp3076_3w-1.jpg

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #429 of 653
Added Glenlivet 12, Glenlivet 15 French Oak, Glenlivet 16 Nedurra, Red Breast 12 (Irish), and Black Bottle 10 (Blend).

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #431 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thread.

Does anyone know the scotch that Costco is carrying that is made for them by Macallan? It's an 18 year that costs less than the Mac 18.

Good question. I'd be interested in hearing about that one.

Also — Trader Joe's also has a few Macallans, including an 18, bottled for them with a TJ label. I vaguely remember a brief review saying TJ's Macallans were disappointing. It would be surprising to find a $120+ Macallan 18 for $45 in a TJ bottle that's of equal quality.

That said, I'd like to try it but I'm not in a buying phase now.

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #432 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question. I'd be interested in hearing about that one.

Also — Trader Joe's also has a few Macallans, including an 18, bottled for them with a TJ label. I vaguely remember a brief review saying TJ's Macallans were disappointing. It would be surprising to find a $120+ Macallan 18 for $45 in a TJ bottle that's of equal quality.

That said, I'd like to try it but I'm not in a buying phase now.

I wonder if the TJ and Costco are the same thing? It kind of disappoints me that Mac would do something like this but I guess it's no different than Samsung making most of the world's LCD's. The difference is that the Viewsonic, Dell, Sony names are big enough to stand on their own. In this case, nobody cares about Costco or TJ scotch so each store has to blatantly boast that it's "Made by Macallan"

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #433 of 653
As far as I know (and according to friends of mines who work at Costco and Sam's Club) the Macallans 18 and 12 yr single malts at Costco and Sam's Club are the same ones you'll find in your local gourmet liquor stores. I don't think Macallans bottles specific casks for those wholesalers. Both wholesalers go through a different liquor distributor than most retailers.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #434 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know (and according to friends of mines who work at Costco and Sam's Club) the Macallans 18 and 12 yr single malts at Costco and Sam's Club are the same ones you'll find in your local gourmet liquor stores. I don't think Macallans bottles specific casks for those wholesalers. Both wholesalers go through a different liquor distributor than most retailers.

The regular bottles they sell are the real deal, I think what they are talking about is the special bottles. Yes they do bottle special ones for these companies. I picked up a Kirkland Labeled Macallan Distillery 19 year scotch the other day. Haven't opened it yet.

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #435 of 653
Wow, that's the first I've seen of the Macallans 19 that's exclusively bottled for Costco as it's not yet available the local Costcos where I shop. Will have to keep an eye out for a bottle when they become available, how much did it cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back