Scotch
Mar 20, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #451 of 653
just came back from the "liquor mart" in boulder, and i've got to say i'm dissapointed. either everyone else has hookups, or more likely liquor is way overpriced here. still, i picked up a 10y.o. ardbeg for $50, and a 10y.o. aberlour for $30. got 20% off those prices, but that won't be a regular thing. gonna try the aberlour first.

you in denver? if so, where do you buy your scotch? and do you know a better place in the boulder area?

i found my lovely "lismore" that's $13 at TJ's and it's $20 here so obviously something's going on. and i'll wager dollars to doughnuts it's taking advantage of all the damn trustfund college kids
smily_headphones1.gif

oh, and my newly-beloved lagivolen 16 was $80

after trying both, i gotta say they're nice but don't think i'd buy either again. the aberlour10 is smooth, but not complex enough for me, reminds me off the cheap lismore but with more harshness. the ardbeg10 is very sharp and peaty, the color is very light. not quite as complex as i'd like. all in all, after the lagavulin16 i had the other night, i wish i'd bought that for $80 than these two for $50 and $30. all's well though, these are lovely, and i'll be enjoying them for awhile

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #452 of 653

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #453 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just came back from the "liquor mart" in boulder, and i've got to say i'm dissapointed. either everyone else has hookups, or more likely liquor is way overpriced here. still, i picked up a 10y.o. ardbeg for $50, and a 10y.o. aberlour for $30. got 20% off those prices, but that won't be a regular thing. gonna try the aberlour first.
oh, and my newly-beloved lagivolen 16 was $80

Ardbeg 10 is one of my fav's. $50 seems like a reasonable price. I think its $45 in Las Vegas.

Lagavulin 16 is quite expensive to start with. $70 in las vegas, so I think you got a pretty good deal. Lagavulin is def. my favorite malt.

Mar 20, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #455 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's the first I've seen of the Macallans 19 that's exclusively bottled for Costco as it's not yet available the local Costcos where I shop. Will have to keep an eye out for a bottle when they become available, how much did it cost?

I saw the special Mac 19 ($69) at Costco in Simi Valley in SoCal. Didn't buy it, but instead bought the special Mac 18 at TJ in Simi.

The TJ Mac 18 is not like any Mac I've ever tried. It's a fairly light orange-y color, and its nose and taste are also quite different. I've had an annoying cold on and off that's suppressed my sense of smell a lot (and probably my taste buds as well) … so I'll have to avoid descriptions 'til I'm better. If I find time to take a good pic, I'll post it.

Mar 26, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #457 of 653
So I went to the store today searching for some Lagavulin 16. I found one but.... $85!!! I asked about it, and one other customer came up to me and said the distillery had a fire resulting in low supply. Is this true? I've tried to find more information, but no luck.

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #458 of 653
ah, ok. it was $80 here in boulder; another reason to kick myself for buying a bottle of ardbeg10 and aberlour10 rather than one bottle of lagavulin16 at the same price

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #460 of 653
Man I'm really cravin some Lagavulin 16 right about now....

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #461 of 653
Has anyone tried Suntory Yamazaki 12? I was walking through the store today and I noticed 1 bottle for the quite nice price of $42. How is it, and how does it match up to the others? I'm thinking about replacing my 1/2 bottle of Glenfiddich (yeccch).

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #463 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man I'm really cravin some Lagavulin 16 right about now....

join the club
smily_headphones1.gif
man, that one really blew me away; i've started to appreciate the ardbeg10 more and more, but IMHO it doesn't even compare to the lag16 i had; it just lacks complexity; the lag16 had several long-lasting levels of flavor and smoke, one after another, a magical experience; i need some
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #464 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
join the club
smily_headphones1.gif
man, that one really blew me away; i've started to appreciate the ardbeg10 more and more, but IMHO it doesn't even compare to the lag16 i had; it just lacks complexity; the lag16 had several long-lasting levels of flavor and smoke, one after another, a magical experience; i need some
smily_headphones1.gif

Try the Talisker 20 or the Ardbeg Uigedail, both are much better balanced than the Ardbeg 10. I'd place the T20 above the L16 and the Oogie a tiny bit below both of them.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #465 of 653
Recently had some friends over and finished off my Lag 16 (white horse distillery).
I decided to replace it with a Glenlivet 15 French Oak, even knowing that Tyson doesn't like it
tongue.gif
since I was ready for something without peat/smoke. I found it to be like the 12 yr old except even heavier on the pineapple. I also found the finish smooth and buttery: like the Johnny Walker Gold, but not quite THAT smooth. On the whole, I think it is notably better than the 12, but definitely has the same general character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back