Scotch
Jul 26, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #376 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Remember to warm it with your hand, it will help to take the sting out of the alcohol. Hopefully your first step on a long journey
smily_headphones1.gif

Need to find a more appropriate vessle as well. Not much in the house that really works well. The aroma of the Dalmore 12 is quite nice, BTW. Which belied the alohol sting. Again, will take getting used to.

Scott

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #377 of 653
Quote:

Remember to warm it with your hand, it will help to take the sting out of the alcohol. Hopefully your first step on a long journey
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried this as well as (probably blasphemous) 1 to 1 ratios water to whisky. Much less sting and quite nice!

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #378 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
I tried this as well as (probably blasphemous) 1 to 1 ratios water to whisky. Much less sting and quite nice!

although not for the purist, it may also help to drop an ice cube or two in it. That's probably a better way to go than 1:1 dilution straight out of the gate. Scotch is definitely an acquired taste, but stick with it and you'll never go back. I'm no expert, but my recommendation for the best starter scotch is Glenlivet 12. Dalmore is in that same category though.

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #379 of 653
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
although not for the purist, it may also help to drop an ice cube or two in it. That's probably a better way to go than 1:1 dilution straight out of the gate. Scotch is definitely an acquired taste, but stick with it and you'll never go back. I'm no expert, but my recommendation for the best starter scotch is Glenlivet 12. Dalmore is in that same category though.

Well i'll stick with it on the Dalmore for now (have to justify the $30 I spent on it, and chose it on that basis from Tyson's generous list of good under $40 offerings). Will keep the Glenlivet 12 in mind. Thanks

Scott

Jul 27, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #380 of 653
scottder,
Start drinking straight bourbon and you'll never need to dilute scotch again
biggrin.gif
I'd also avoid the Glenlivet (and Glenfiddich) in their 12 year old bottlings. The 15 of the 'fiddich or the 18 of the 'livet are not too bad, but probably out of your price range. Another inexpensive bottling in your price range with much more character and flavor is the Glenmorangie 10.

Also, updated the front page with a "great" whisky, the Bruichladdich Links.

Jul 27, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #381 of 653
Quote:

scottder,
Start drinking straight bourbon and you'll never need to dilute scotch again
biggrin.gif
I'd also avoid the Glenlivet (and Glenfiddich) in their 12 year old bottlings. The 15 of the 'fiddich or the 18 of the 'livet are not too bad, but probably out of your price range. Another inexpensive bottling in your price range with much more character and flavor is the Glenmorangie 10.

Also, updated the front page with a "great" whisky, the Bruichladdich Links.

Yes, I was down to the Dalmore 12 and the Glenmorangue 10, the Dalmore was a hair cheaper, so I went with that. i've never had bourbon before....will have to check your other thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Aug 10, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #382 of 653
I have tried Laphroig 10, Scapa and The Dalmore 12. I was hopin' that The Dalmore would be the best, since it was cheaper, but I really like the Laphroig the best. It is so much smoother. The Scapa and Dalmore burn my tongue.

Next up is the Ardbeg 10.

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #383 of 653
Tyson... this thread misses you.

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #385 of 653
Great thread. I will have too bookmark this thread. I too love scotch, though I have only the chance to try ~15 or so so far. Hopefully catch a tasting this march (I live in a small town but they had one last year which I missed).

Ayways

THE BIG NEWS

I heard on the radio today about a distillery in Scotland recreating an old recipe or journal log and making a quadruppel distilled whisky.

I think think the interview is Part 2 on this radio show ('As it Happens' on CBC radio).

Think it was about 90% it still needs to age and may lose some of its strength but the guy had 3 spoon fulls and was good to go for the day. Apparently it takes the breath right out of your mouth.

BTW

I always drink my scotch straight. I hate the watered down taste. I don't gulp it but instead take small sips and let it trickle over my tongue and breathe in the aroma as it rises to the top of my mouth. No problem doing this even with the 60% arberlour a'bunadh.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #386 of 653
Ooooo good bump...I never noticed this thread. Interesting notes on the OP as well. I find Scotch to be a bit like headphone listening, everyone has their own tastes and preferences.

I am currently drinking Lagavulin (16, I believe they only produce this one on a regular basis) and although it is an intimidating bottling I can never get enough of it. PACKED with peat and a bit smokey I'd say...it's like liquid fire, I love it. I remember buying it years ago when I first started out with Scotch and not liking it...it's not a bottle for someone new to the taste.

I also have a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue my girlfriends father bought me. Personally, I would never spend the money on this stuff, although it is quite good if you are a blended fan. It currently resides at my fathers house, where he uses the excuse "We had company" to pour himself a shot with a friend. It's very smooth...in fact, it gives me the feeling I am drinking a single malt with 2 splashes of Poland Spring. It's very accessible also, anyone could handle this stuff neat. I've had the gold and green as well with gold actually being my favorite (yes, with the price in mind, I would buy a bottle of gold before blue).

Well it doesn't look like this thread gets updated anymore, but maybe when some of us tries a new one we can start including our thoughts again.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #388 of 653
Last night in a restaurant, I tried the Knockando 18. Michael Jackson has this one nailed: creamy smooth with almonds and shortbread. A little hint of citrus in the finish. But typically after saying a bunch of nice things about it, he gives it a 78, which is pretty low for him. I liked it better than that, but it is not in the top group of 18 yr olds.

Apr 18, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #389 of 653
Trader Joe's has some cool stuff available now at great prices. There is a Bowmore 18 (not 17) for $40. And a Longmorn 10 for $20. I'm hoping to try out the latter anyway.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back