Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 5, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #10,891 of 12,344
So would that converter (coax to aes) give any benefits by utilizing the superior aes input on the yggy? Or would the converter color or degrade the sound quality?
Forgot to mention they recently implemented the usb digital out from the new node so maybe that would be the best route to take? I’m just worried the usb on the node is a weak point because it’s so freshly implemented

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #10,892 of 12,344
So would that converter (coax to aes) give any benefits by utilizing the superior aes input on the yggy? Or would the converter color or degrade the sound quality?
Forgot to mention they recently implemented the usb digital out from the new node so maybe that would be the best route to take? I’m just worried the usb on the node is a weak point because it’s so freshly implemented
Pi2AES or Sonnet Hermes. The weak point on the Node is it’s power supply. You could get an upgrade cable for it if you want to do coax.

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #10,893 of 12,344
I actually have a pi2aes already and enjoy it very much with the yggy og better than usb from mediocre sources(iPhone or MacBook) . The reason I bought the node is to use nugs.net without having to use AirPlay to the pi2aes. the bluos OS of the node(and NAD)is the only OS of streamers that has the nugs service integrated.
So what kind of power cable upgrade? And then the coax to aes converter isn’t necessary or won’t help?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #10,894 of 12,344
his opinion that Unison from a PCIe usb card sounded better than Pi2AES was both intriguing yet believable.
I totally believe that. But a PCIe USB card is not an option for my setup, so I'm sticking with Pi2AES.

Feb 5, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #10,895 of 12,344
So would that converter (coax to aes) give any benefits by utilizing the superior aes input on the yggy?
I doubt. Any difference between coax and AES for a current Yggdrasil is hard to notice, at least for a good source where both connections are done well. I can't hear any difference between the two for Pi2AES > Yggdrasil with decent cables (Blue Jeans or Sweetwater).

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #10,896 of 12,344
I doubt. Any difference between coax and AES for a current Yggdrasil is hard to notice, at least for a good source where both connections are done well. I can't hear any difference between the two for Pi2AES > Yggdrasil with decent cables (Blue Jeans or Sweetwater).
I recently had the opportunity to hear both Wireworld Platinum and AudioQuest Diamond USB cables into the Unison board and compared them to what I thought was the quite good AES I had been using. I ordered the Diamond. The difference is subtle but definitely there mainly as less digital and better timbre.
Send better bits to the Yggdrassil and it responds.
Also, check out Darko's interview with Mike from 2018 where he says Unison is better than SPDIF.

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #10,899 of 12,344
Also, check out Darko's interview with Mike from 2018 where he says Unison is better than SPDIF.
Even he has not tried every single source available in every possible environment. I'm pretty certain (blind testing with a discriminating listener) of my Unison vs AES comparison above — in my particular location with that hardware and layout. I'm not as confident about my AES vs coax claim, which was just an informal observation (same location, same source, same AES cable, though).

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #10,900 of 12,344
I actually have a pi2aes already and enjoy it very much with the yggy og better than usb from mediocre sources(iPhone or MacBook) . The reason I bought the node is to use nugs.net without having to use AirPlay to the pi2aes. the bluos OS of the node(and NAD)is the only OS of streamers that has the nugs service integrated.
So what kind of power cable upgrade? And then the coax to aes converter isn’t necessary or won’t help?
You could just do a simple Audioquest Y cable power cable for like $50. You’ll hear more detail. I wouldn’t suggest that. It’s best keeping the signal transformations to a minimum. AES is the best signal because it’s more direct to board and it’s not going through more transformations so the signal is more pure. You could opt for more expensive USB upgrades to improve Unison but why bother when spending the same amount on an AES cable will land you further results.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #10,901 of 12,344
I think I’m going with Cullen or wireworld as I found other people on the web have highly recommended them with the node.

While we’re on the the power discussion I’m curious about upgrading the yggy’s power cable.
I recently discovered the power cord that came with my used yggy is a cheap aftermarket Linetek e138949-e which I think is roughly $20 brand new and might be less quality than the original cord that schiit provides.

Should I just get a replacement power cord from schiit or find a higher quality one equivalent to my node’s prospective power cable upgrade I discussed earlier?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #10,902 of 12,344
As a general rule especially with higher SR's, using silver wire should net an improvement due to it's ability to handle higher frequencies mo-bettah.
Now we're talking shades of gray here but for those with systems with sufficient resolution etc, there should be a noticeable improvement.
And silver cables need not be biggly expensive but still their not dirt cheap either, unless you go for the spendy stuff…
https://audiosensibility.com/blog/p...XLR-Digital-Cable/p/59369117/category=4059160

Just say'n is all.

JJ

Feb 25, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #10,903 of 12,344
I think I’m going with Cullen or wireworld as I found other people on the web have highly recommended them with the node.

While we’re on the the power discussion I’m curious about upgrading the yggy’s power cable.
I recently discovered the power cord that came with my used yggy is a cheap aftermarket Linetek e138949-e which I think is roughly $20 brand new and might be less quality than the original cord that schiit provides.

Should I just get a replacement power cord from schiit or find a higher quality one equivalent to my node’s prospective power cable upgrade I discussed earlier?
A better power cord is usually a safe bet for improvement. Of course there are differences as well among power cables as well. I recommend an audience forte f3 it is a pretty decent cord for around a couple hundred bucks. I got mine from the cable company. It was a b stock cable but it works perfect and was a bit cheaper. The absolute sound lists it as one of their recommended power cables.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #10,904 of 12,344
Just curious but what power cord are you using on the Schiit dac? I use an older Harmonic Tech AC-11 on my Og and It is not dry sounding in my set up.

I haven't gotten into power cord rolling yet - I'm just using a cheap stranded cable from Bottlehead. I'm looking at some Boomslang stuff. Anything you recommend for good detail and tight bass?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #10,905 of 12,344
I haven't gotten into power cord rolling yet - I'm just using a cheap stranded cable from Bottlehead. I'm looking at some Boomslang stuff. Anything you recommend for good detail and tight bass?
I would take a look at the Audio Envy Ocean Elite 3p, if I were you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back