Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 18, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #10,921 of 12,236
The OG is what was previously called A2/Unison, correct? - This is the Yggdrasil I am interested in. I don't see many examples on the pre-owned market, is it outrageous to consider ordering one new from Schiit this day in age?
Having bought A1 in 2015 and “trading up“ to A2 in 2018, for me it’s the best investment I’ve made in the HeadFi hobby. Amps and headphones come and go, but Yggy improves everything downstream. No desire to change dacs. True timbre, touch, texture, dynamic swings. Especially about softer micro details really alive and present when surrounded by louder sounds. Not about any particular tonal personality. All with 16/44 files.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #10,922 of 12,236
The OG is what was previously called A2/Unison, correct? - This is the Yggdrasil I am interested in. I don't see many examples on the pre-owned market, is it outrageous to consider ordering one new from Schiit this day in age?
It would be outrageous not to consider one,IMO. The Yggy makes Music ! One of the few pieces of gear that I would Never think of doing without..

Mar 19, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #10,923 of 12,236
Picked up a used Yggy Analog 2 that had gen 5 USB which I swapped to Unison. Have only had it on for a few days but already the sound is quite incredible. Currently running USB straight from my pc but have a pi2AES to try as well. For amps I've listened to the three I have.....TXA AAA 789, Monolith Liquid Platinum, and a Yamaha A-S500. The AAA and Monolith sound very good, but interestingly I find the A-S500 to be a dramatically better sound. The former two are very similar to each other, with a neutral and "clinical" sound, while the A-S500 has much more body and depth, at least to my ears. Tweaking the available EQ on the Yamaha takes the difference even further.

Prior to Yggy my main listening was with a RME ADI-2, which is certainly a fine DAC as well. Still have it and will decide whether to keep it in the rotation or unload it.

Mar 19, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #10,924 of 12,236
Prior to Yggy my main listening was with a RME ADI-2, which is certainly a fine DAC as well. Still have it and will decide whether to keep it in the rotation or unload it.
What's kind of funny is I made the opposite switch on my headphone rig, my RME is the main DAC right now, and my Yggy sits in the corner unused. Granted, it's not Unison USB or Analog 2 though. I used it for awhile, but ended up switching back to the RME. We still use a yggy on the downstairs speaker rig though, and are happy with it!

Mar 19, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #10,925 of 12,236
What's kind of funny is I made the opposite switch on my headphone rig, my RME is the main DAC right now, and my Yggy sits in the corner unused. Granted, it's not Unison USB or Analog 2 though. I used it for awhile, but ended up switching back to the RME. We still use a yggy on the downstairs speaker rig though, and are happy with it!

Who knows if I could actually tell the difference if doing an appropriately blind comparison. May be the newness factor but I feel like the Yggy just has a more complete and all around better sound - which is highly unscientific and really probably wouldn't matter after a couple beers anyway. My wallet thanks me though, as I think my upgrade-itis is sufficiently cured.

Mar 25, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #10,926 of 12,236
First, thanks to everyone who contributes impressions to this thread. Really helpful for those considering a purchase decision. I am in that moment and considering the Yggy OG vs. the LIM.

The way I want to ask for advice is based on my musical preference. I listen mainly to rock, pop, and bluesy/country. Think Soundgarden to Black Crowes, and Van Halen to Eric Church. I may listen to Michael Jackson on days that end in Y. Almost everything has a lot of rythym and drive. I am a toe tapper and a head nodder. Bass tends to lead the music enjoyment for me and I really do not like shouty highs. I do like detail and clarity, although I know that can create risk of tripping the line on the highs into a harsh or fatiguing experience.

My system so far is a Burson 3X GT and the ZMF VC's. The Burson is very clean, dual mono design, and what I consider to be a very honest and revealing AMP. I can roll op-amps to modify that, but I consider it to lack a color of its own. If anything it might...MIGHT...be a bit overly revealing on the highs (I am about to roll some V6 Classic op-amps into see if I can tame that). The ZMF's are moderately biased to mids around the 5khz-6khz zone. This is my starting point as I look to step into some Schiit.

Soooo.....all said, my instinct would be the LIM based on processing all the comments I have read. But I would certainly appreciate any opinions. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #10,927 of 12,236
First, thanks to everyone who contributes impressions to this thread. Really helpful for those considering a purchase decision. I am in that moment and considering the Yggy OG vs. the LIM.

The way I want to ask for advice is based on my musical preference. I listen mainly to rock, pop, and bluesy/country. Think Soundgarden to Black Crowes, and Van Halen to Eric Church. I may listen to Michael Jackson on days that end in Y. Almost everything has a lot of rythym and drive. I am a toe tapper and a head nodder. Bass tends to lead the music enjoyment for me and I really do not like shouty highs. I do like detail and clarity, although I know that can create risk of tripping the line on the highs into a harsh or fatiguing experience.

My system so far is a Burson 3X GT and the ZMF VC's. The Burson is very clean, dual mono design, and what I consider to be a very honest and revealing AMP. I can roll op-amps to modify that, but I consider it to lack a color of its own. If anything it might...MIGHT...be a bit overly revealing on the highs (I am about to roll some V6 Classic op-amps into see if I can tame that). The ZMF's are moderately biased to mids around the 5khz-6khz zone. This is my starting point as I look to step into some Schiit.

Soooo.....all said, my instinct would be the LIM based on processing all the comments I have read. But I would certainly appreciate any opinions. Thanks in advance!
I pair VCs with a LIM (driven through a Flux FA-22 and a LTA MZ3 OTL). I haven’t found anything wanting in the LIM to desire an OG.

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #10,928 of 12,236
What headphone amps have people found pair well with the Yggy? Or does it matter....is "well" more dependent on headphones and flavor of preferred sound.

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #10,929 of 12,236
What headphone amps have people found pair well with the Yggy? Or does it matter....is "well" more dependent on headphones and flavor of preferred sound.
Tube or tube hybrid, for the music (modern jazz and classical) and headphones (DCA Ether C Flow, ZMF Verité closed, Verité open) I prefer. Starting with Lyr 3 with a good 6SN7 tube (like the Psvane 6SN7-SE), ending with (now vintage) SET 2A3 amps like the Eddie Current Aficionado. The right tube setup balances the OG Y's in-your-face presentation (which is really more suited to speaker setups) better than any of the solid-state amps I've owned, even the rare and amazing ecp DHSA-3F, which I mostly use with Holo DACs.

Apr 3, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #10,931 of 12,236
Hello forum!
I have a question?! dac yggdrasil A2 to connect to Naim nac 82 (2001) preamplifier with which connection is best and what is the name of the cable.?
Thanks !
Your output choices are RCA (SE) or XLR (balanced)

1648999961109.png

1648999997191.png

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #10,933 of 12,236
I would suggest contacting Naim and asking them, It "looks" like two BNC SE connections (you can get BNC to RCA adapters for them), and some weird setup for the other inputs/outputs, may need to get special cables for them? I would look in the manual (you can find one online by searching for it).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back