Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 3, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #10,937 of 12,119
No offense, but as has been said it may be better to take this to NAIM or to their forums and ask there, unless there is someone here that knows for sure what you need to do?? But this being the YGGY thread it is best to take questions about this to the appropriate place. For YGGY you can use Balanced XLR or Single ended RCA outputs.

That being said there should be a sticker or printing on the back of your unit that tells you what the pin out is for the connectors.
Like this:
1649036281022.png

I would go to your local hi-fi shop and ask them for help unless you plan to take the chance and make your own cables.
They would probably look something like this:
1649036492124.png

Apr 4, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #10,939 of 12,119
I've sold my yggdrasil v2 usb 5. Sadly it wasn't the best experience.
Sound quality was impressive, but the general usability wasn't. It often dropped signals on Windows ( never on raspberry ), often I had to switch completely off and wait to watch it on again. Another thing was the absence of any kind of remote controller, so when I had to switch input, I had to get up.
The only thing I liked about it was the 2 rca outputs. Very rare and useful for people like me with a lot of headphone amps.
No more words about dimensions, everyone knows how big it is.

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #10,940 of 12,119
I've sold my yggdrasil v2 usb 5. Sadly it wasn't the best experience.
Sound quality was impressive, but the general usability wasn't. It often dropped signals on Windows ( never on raspberry ), often I had to switch completely off and wait to watch it on again. Another thing was the absence of any kind of remote controller, so when I had to switch input, I had to get up.
The only thing I liked about it was the 2 rca outputs. Very rare and useful for people like me with a lot of headphone amps.
No more words about dimensions, everyone knows how big it is.
What did you replace it with?

Apr 4, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #10,941 of 12,119
What did you replace it with?
Nothing special, I made blind test with switches and honestly I don't find differences between a cheap good measuring dac and expensive good measuring dac. So, I'm sticking with a topping d90, a fiio k9 pro and a marantz hd-dac1 on the speaker system, just because I like the form factor.
Sorry to say that, if anyone is happy with new magical things listened through an expensive r2r\multibit dac, good for him :)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #10,942 of 12,119
For various “wire logistics” reasons but primarily because I’m running an Mscaler as an upstream DDC, I cannot use usb input into my Yggy LIM. What is preferred “second best” choice between optical, BNC, or coaxial? Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #10,943 of 12,119
For various “wire logistics” reasons but primarily because I’m running an Mscaler as an upstream DDC, I cannot use usb input into my Yggy LIM. What is preferred “second best” choice between optical, BNC, or coaxial? Thank you for your input.
Aes. That's what I use with my Hermes ddc

Apr 11, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #10,944 of 12,119
I would say BNC->COAX->optical, IMHO, YMMV
BNC and Coax are kind of a toss up, BNC wins for secure connection and usually more repeatable shielding due to construction
(optical would be a good choice if you have grounding issues??)

And yes, like @shafat777 says, AES would be #1, If you had asked about it in your list.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #10,945 of 12,119
Hey guys, I've owned my Yggdrasil since 2017, bought it as first gen from Schiitr, and then later upgraded with gen5 USB, and then to GS and then a LIM. Throughout the years, there had been a curious issue with it. I know everyone recommended not to switch off Yggdrasil, but every now and then, the sound becomes "muted", dynamics lost and the highs seems to be cut off. At this point, the only solution is to reboot it, turning it off for about 10 sec and restart the DAC to get back to the "normal" music.

Just wondering what the root cause is and will there ever be a solution to this?

Apr 11, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #10,946 of 12,119
Hey guys, I've owned my Yggdrasil since 2017, bought it as first gen from Schiitr, and then later upgraded with gen5 USB, and then to GS and then a LIM. Throughout the years, there had been a curious issue with it. I know everyone recommended not to switch off Yggdrasil, but every now and then, the sound becomes "muted", dynamics lost and the highs seems to be cut off. At this point, the only solution is to reboot it, turning it off for about 10 sec and restart the DAC to get back to the "normal" music.

Just wondering what the root cause is and will there ever be a solution to this?
In some of Mike Moffat’s posts about digital, I recall him stating that many digital devices, including Yggy, need to be ”burped“ occasionally, with no technical explanation. I do this with my server, uDO interface, and Yggy infrequently.

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #10,947 of 12,119

I got a similar issue once or twice a while back (also early model) but I added a power conditioner and it has not happened since. It was like it was stuck in a loop and needed to "clear cache" or clear buffers, in my case. I have only gone up tp A2 and gen5 USB, so no GS and LIM, though.

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #10,948 of 12,119
I got a similar issue once or twice a while back (also early model) but I added a power conditioner and it has not happened since. It was like it was stuck in a loop and needed to "clear cache" or clear buffers, in my case. I have only gone up tp A2 and gen5 USB, so no GS and LIM, though.
I wonder if it's got to do with a rumored grounding change because you mentioned that it's fixed by a power conditioner. Does anyone have details in what exactly was the grounding change?

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #10,949 of 12,119
The OG is what was previously called A2/Unison, correct? - This is the Yggdrasil I am interested in. I don't see many examples on the pre-owned market, is it outrageous to consider ordering one new from Schiit this day in age?
I was fortunate enough to find a Yggdrasil A2 w/Unison second hand in excellent condition. It arrived only today so I have it on the alternate desk plugged in and warming up and as such have only done some casual listening. I'm hoping that by the weekend it will be sufficiently warmed up so that I can get a decent feel for it with the rest of my setup.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #10,950 of 12,119
Nothing special, I made blind test with switches and honestly I don't find differences between a cheap good measuring dac and expensive good measuring dac. So, I'm sticking with a topping d90, a fiio k9 pro and a marantz hd-dac1 on the speaker system, just because I like the form factor.
Sorry to say that, if anyone is happy with new magical things listened through an expensive r2r\multibit dac, good for him :)
If both were good measuring DACs with similar topologies, why would you expect to hear a difference tho? I agree, I would go less expensive in that case because I also have a really hard time noticing any significant difference between my delta sigma DACs... they all sound fine.

Now, the Yggy is indeed a different sound (and preferable to my ears). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back