Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 1, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #10,906 of 12,282
I would take a look at the Audio Envy Ocean Elite 3p, if I were you.
Is that what you’re using? I’m a cable believer but I start getting the scam vibes when I seeing power cords going for over $4k or more sometimes.

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #10,907 of 12,282
Is that what you’re using? I’m a cable believer but I start getting the scam vibes when I seeing power cords going for over $4k or more sometimes.
LOL, where are you seeing $4k fore the suggested cord? Or was that just hyperbole?
Their website says $179-199 (USD) range... just saying. If someone is asking $4k, then yeah, stay away from them.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #10,908 of 12,282
LOL, where are you seeing $4k fore the suggested cord? Or was that just hyperbole?
Their website says $179-!99 range... just saying.
I’m saying look at Shunyatas higher end line etc. Some of these power cords cost more than most peoples systems. Seems like a waste when you have some 14 gauge Romex behind there.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #10,909 of 12,282
I have a Yggy question. Somewhere I read that Bifrost 2 SE and XLR out are the same in sound quality. And that with Yggy and Gumby XLR is better than SE out? I hope I am just making this up since I am thinking of going from Bifrost to Yggy on my 2ch system that also will have an HP amp. So I will be using Yggy XLR out for HP amp and SE out for 2CH system. I am hoping there is not a degradation of sound with SE out on Yggy.

Mar 9, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #10,910 of 12,282
I have a Yggy question. Somewhere I read that Bifrost 2 SE and XLR out are the same in sound quality. And that with Yggy and Gumby XLR is better than SE out? I hope I am just making this up since I am thinking of going from Bifrost to Yggy on my 2ch system that also will have an HP amp. So I will be using Yggy XLR out for HP amp and SE out for 2CH system. I am hoping there is not a degradation of sound with SE out on Yggy.
This is the case with Yggy OG. Yggy LiM doesn't have gimped SE (i.e., XLR and RCA sound the same), and I think the MiL is also fine from that perspective.

For Yggy A1/OG, you'll likely want to use balanced if possible

Mar 9, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #10,911 of 12,282
This is the case with Yggy OG. Yggy LiM doesn't have gimped SE (i.e., XLR and RCA sound the same), and I think the MiL is also fine from that perspective.

+1 I concur.

With my LIM, i can hear no difference between rca or xlr out, other than volume level with the xlr being slightly louder. Thats about it.

Mar 9, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #10,912 of 12,282

Thank you. Time to order a LiM then :)

Mar 12, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #10,913 of 12,282
Oh what I mean is that when it tries to switch sample rates, it fails to lock, and then there is no sound. It does not even reacquire the signal lock if I switch back to the original sample rate.

Just an update to this: I sent the A2 in for the Unison upgrade, along with a note about it not maintaining signal lock. The folks at Schitt were great; it came back without the problem. This was over a month ago and it's been rock solid. I'm on the east coast so total turn around time was about 2 weeks, with almost all of it shipping. I only had to wait about 5 days for my slot to come up for the Unison upgrade.

Mar 15, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #10,914 of 12,282
Thank you. Time to order a LiM then :)
Don’t be so hasty.. You can always use the balanced out and wire It to SE. You can either get a converter adapter for XLR to RCA, or have one made up or buy one already made up. If you do use XLR to SE, be sure to get a cable that does not tie pins 3 and 1 to ground. Cardas and emotiva sell a cable that Floats pin 3 not shorting 1&3 like most converters do. Thats what Jason S. Mentioned when asked about using balanced out to single ended on the Yggy. The single ended outputs are summed and go through another stage of processing where the balanced do not.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #10,915 of 12,282
So I have a yggy GS which came Equipped with the GEN 5 and A1 cards in a new chassis with the latest firmware. I added the unison card which made a big improvement over the GEN five USB. I love the sound of the Yiggy as it seems very neutral and lively. I do not want to add any warmth or color, but I am always looking to improve transparency and lower noise. For those in the know, is it worth it to upgrade to the A2 boards now that I can purchase them directly from schiit and install them myself. Or will there be minimal differences not justifying the cost or added color, smoothing that I do not want. Your observations and opinions are appreciated. @Currawong

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #10,916 of 12,282
So I have a yggy GS which came Equipped with the GEN 5 and A1 cards in a new chassis with the latest firmware. I added the unison card which made a big improvement over the GEN five USB. I love the sound of the Yiggy as it seems very neutral and lively. I do not want to add any warmth or color, but I am always looking to improve transparency and lower noise. For those in the know, is it worth it to upgrade to the A2 boards now that I can purchase them directly from schiit and install them myself. Or will there be minimal differences not justifying the cost or added color, smoothing that I do not want. Your observations and opinions are appreciated. @Currawong
IMO you’ve just made the big improvement. The analog upgrade will be incremental.

Mar 15, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #10,917 of 12,282
IMO you’ve just made the big improvement. The analog upgrade will be incremental.
Thanks.. that’s what kept me from buying a used A2 in addition to mine. I might just wait for a possible A3 upgrade..

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #10,918 of 12,282
Thanks.. that’s what kept me from buying a used A2 in addition to mine. I might just wait for a possible A3 upgrade..
Absolutely. With the GS you’ve got THE bargain dac in their line. As soon as LIM, etc. was out, they pulled GS immediately. :money_mouth:
IMO

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #10,919 of 12,282
The OG is what was previously called A2/Unison, correct? - This is the Yggdrasil I am interested in. I don't see many examples on the pre-owned market, is it outrageous to consider ordering one new from Schiit this day in age?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #10,920 of 12,282

Users who are viewing this thread

Back