Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 25, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #10,861 of 12,314
After years of lusting after the yggy and being cheap, I found a yggy A1/updated firmware/USB unison. I just turned it on today and started to listen to it. I've had the mimby v1 with me for years; for the price, its just worth keeping around as it sounds "good enough"/enjoyable. I've had the gumby A2 but never impressed me to keep it around; could be driven by my system synergies at the time.

I'm currently listening with a chromecast audio* -> yggy* -> Xduoo MT604 -> Meze empy. (*Replaced from a ibasso DX220 Max). I know I need to leave it on for a few days (to 30days) for it to settle in, but my quick impressions on day 0:
  • Soundstage extends beyond the headphone; Improvement in the spacial information
  • Effortless details; Black background
  • Less "congested"
  • Rock solid imaging
  • Natural
I prioritize musically above all else and don't like neutral gear. I think I'm going to really like this DAC. Let's see how it settles in ... and then I need to upgrade the source and headphone app .... sometime later :)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #10,862 of 12,314
Did anyone lunge at a MIL and compared to the LIM and/or OG?

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #10,863 of 12,314
Well I have the Bifrost 2 which I had been using on my computer. I had a Burson conductor 3 ref dac/amp/pre. Which after I upgraded my power set up with a PS audio strip conditioner sounded kind kind of digital to me . I think I was hearing a by product of the switching power supply burson is now using. When I compare the output with my headphones to my older Burson Ha-160 to the headphone amp in the Conductor 3 Ref I found I preferred the older analog power supplied Ha-160. So I traded it in on a Sonnet Morpheus dac/pre. I am in the process of breaking it in. I had been using the conductor in dac only mode with my burson Ha-160. I am using the sonnet with the Ha-160 and I am sensing a two dimensional signature to the Morpheus in comparison to the dac output of the conductor 3 ref dac section. I am hoping it fleshes out more and exhibits more of a sense of depth. While the morpheus does seem to be resolving more information than the burson conductor 3 ref dac I so far think that the burson dac did seem to have better depth reproduction. So I am biting the bullet and ordering the OG yggdrasil dac from Schiit. I ordered the black which has a longer wait time but I thought it looked better in black. I did try the Bifrost 2 in my main set up and I did like the sound . It had a very listenable quality that was very enjoyable. I am thinking the Yggdagasil will not be nearly as lovely sounding as the Bifrost 2 in my main rig but the Yggdragasil will be a very exhilarating listen in ways the Bifrost 2 cannot produce. I used to have an old Theta dac which was a stalwart piece I had for many years.
Thanks for this. I’m trying to decide on a new setup to upgrade from my AIO. I think Yggy A1 with a warmer amp or cans is a great setup. I don’t know if the A2 will be too aggressive sounding. I did find the Bifrost 2 to be a bit forward with boomy bass.

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #10,864 of 12,314
Thanks for this. I’m trying to decide on a new setup to upgrade from my AIO. I think Yggy A1 with a warmer amp or cans is a great setup. I don’t know if the A2 will be too aggressive sounding. I did find the Bifrost 2 to be a bit forward with boomy bass.
Well I have had the OG for awhile now and it is pretty much fleshed in. I absolutely love the Og it is just so much more resolving than either of the dacs I mentioned in my earlier posting. Listening is amazing, I never realized how much information the other dacs were missing. I play cds and they are sounding so much better in just about every way. Awesome bass that is quick tight sounding and very well defined. The dynamics are excellent . The Og has unlocked layers of information that I have never heard on my cds. I just wished I had hopped on the OG bandwagon earlier. I would have saved the money I payed for the Morpheus which was a thousand dollars more than the Og. The Morpheus is not a bad dac once it is fleshed in the sound became more dimensional and had a lovely musical sound but it just cannot hold a candle to the OGs sound reproduction.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #10,865 of 12,314
Well I have had the OG for awhile now and it is pretty much fleshed in. I absolutely love the Og it is just so much more resolving than either of the dacs I mentioned in my earlier posting. Listening is amazing, I never realized how much information the other dacs were missing. I play cds and they are sounding so much better in just about every way. Awesome bass that is quick tight sounding and very well defined. The dynamics are excellent . The Og has unlocked layers of information that I have never heard on my cds. I just wished I had hopped on the OG bandwagon earlier. I would have saved the money I payed for the Morpheus which was a thousand dollars more than the Og. The Morpheus is not a bad dac once it is fleshed in the sound became more dimensional and had a lovely musical sound but it just cannot hold a candle to the OGs sound reproduction.
I had the Morpheus too. I just think the Yggy has a lot more treble detail and it’s more forward. I had the GS and I really liked it too. It made even unresolving cans sound good. I don’t want a really dark setup by going with LiM, warm DAC and warm HPs so I think I will do the opposite and go with MiL and warm amp.

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #10,866 of 12,314
I had the Morpheus too. I just think the Yggy has a lot more treble detail and it’s more forward. I had the GS and I really liked it too. It made even unresolving cans sound good. I don’t want a really dark setup by going with LiM, warm DAC and warm HPs so I think I will do the opposite and go with MiL and warm amp.
For my setup, the OG is close to perfect. I do find it more forward and not necessarily treble-forward (I had a D90, that was treble forward) but it's detailed across the entire frequency response, and so the treble can be very noticeable, relative to many other DACs (for me, compared to the BF2 or a Jolida Glass). I think it presents an accurate, detailed signal for your downstream components - and if your amp or HPs are rough in any areas, they'll be exposed (or, put through the paces). I use it for both Electrostatics and Dynamic cans, all run through relatively warm amps (I have dryer, more neutral estat and dynamic amps as well as more tubey complements). The estats are able to present that treble detail so cleanly, without sibilance, that they pair wonderfully with the amp. But even my Aeolus on a non-speedballed Crack has wonderful levels of detail, but is so much more mid-focused that you lose the treble details while gaining a more full-bodied sound.

I guess what I'm saying is that the OG presents everything equally (I have not heard the MIL and maybe it does that even moreso) and gives you all the detail that you can then manipulate however you see fit. I have a (copper) Silnote BNC cable and a silver Transparent Premium Coax cable, and the ease of switching inputs on the Yggy lets me tweak the sound by cable (the Transparent cable is just too much for the estats, but for the dynamic cans it crystallizes the details whereas the Silnote cable gives more heft to the estats). So I can tweak the sound just by the cable I'm running the signal through, in addition to the 4 amps I can pick between (5th one coming today!).

Edit: I sold the Transparent cable and bought an Acoustic Zen MC2 coax and I am honestly blown away by it. Highly, highly recommended cable. It's musical and detailed and the Silnote feels sluggish and muffled in comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #10,867 of 12,314
For my setup, the OG is close to perfect. I do find it more forward and not necessarily treble-forward (I had a D90, that was treble forward) but it's detailed across the entire frequency response, and so the treble can be very noticeable, relative to many other DACs (for me, compared to the BF2 or a Jolida Glass). I think it presents an accurate, detailed signal for your downstream components - and if your amp or HPs are rough in any areas, they'll be exposed (or, put through the paces). I use it for both Electrostatics and Dynamic cans, all run through relatively warm amps (I have dryer, more neutral estat and dynamic amps as well as more tubey complements). The estats are able to present that treble detail so cleanly, without sibilance, that they pair wonderfully with the amp. But even my Aeolus on a non-speedballed Crack has wonderful levels of detail, but is so much more mid-focused that you lose the treble details while gaining a more full-bodied sound.

I guess what I'm saying is that the OG presents everything equally (I have not heard the MIL and maybe it does that even moreso) and gives you all the detail that you can then manipulate however you see fit. I have a (copper) Silnote BNC cable and a silver Transparent Premium Coax cable, and the ease of switching inputs on the Yggy lets me tweak the sound by cable (the Transparent cable is just too much for the estats, but for the dynamic cans it crystallizes the details whereas the Silnote cable gives more heft to the estats). So I can tweak the sound just by the cable I'm running the signal through, in addition to the 4 amps I can pick between (5th one coming today!).

Is balanced still the preferred way to connect to an amp with any of the Yggys? Kind of a pain because I sold my balanced cables a while ago. Morpheus and BF2 both sound good through any output. I believe both Yggy and Gumby sum the outputs for SE which causes it to sound worse. I already have warm cans to begin with LCD-4/LCD-2 but I want it to sound balanced.

I’m like you I don’t like really neutral DACs but I don’t like really aggressive sounding ones either. I do like massive bass which the Yggy does really well but I just don’t want the mids to sound too forward. That’s why I’ve always liked Audeze. I used to love really forward mids but going from the Auteur Blackwood to other in your face ones I can appreciate a more recessed level such as on the HEK V1 or the Stellias. Makes for a more relaxing listening experience. Are the mids more in your face with your Yggy or does it depend on the amp?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #10,868 of 12,314
Is balanced still the preferred way to connect to an amp with any of the Yggys? Kind of a pain because I sold my balanced cables a while ago. Morpheus and BF2 both sound good through any output. I believe both Yggy and Gumby sum the outputs for SE which causes it to sound worse. I already have warm cans to begin with LCD-4/LCD-2 but I want it to sound balanced.

I’m like you I don’t like really neutral DACs but I don’t like really aggressive sounding ones either. I do like massive bass which the Yggy does really well but I just don’t want the mids to sound too forward. That’s why I’ve always liked Audeze. I used to love really forward mids but going from the Auteur Blackwood to other in your face ones I can appreciate a more recessed level such as on the HEK V1 or the Stellias. Makes for a more relaxing listening experience. Are the mids more in your face with your Yggy or does it depend on the amp?
I don't think you need expensive XLR balanced cables.
You can look on Amazon and have some at your house tomorrow.

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #10,869 of 12,314
I can't comment too much on the SE vs balanced. I currently only have a single balanced amp, and 3 SEs. The balanced amp is certainly the most detailed, but that's more to do with the amp than the dac. I like a mid-forward sound and I think the Yggy is much more balanced across the entire frequency response, whereas I felt the BF2 (the most direct comp I can make) was a little rolled off on top and slightly boomy down below. Someone said that the OG was like a grand tour of Europe, whereas the LIM was the backroad villages - more authentic and musical and lifelike. For my purposes, I wanted to grand tour experience, but sometimes I admit that the details get in the way of the musicality and the mids might fit that mold too much for you.

For cables, I always buy used - you can get some pretty high end cables for cheap here or on US Audio Mart. Cables don't age like other components do.

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #10,870 of 12,314
I can't comment too much on the SE vs balanced. I currently only have a single balanced amp, and 3 SEs. The balanced amp is certainly the most detailed, but that's more to do with the amp than the dac. I like a mid-forward sound and I think the Yggy is much more balanced across the entire frequency response, whereas I felt the BF2 (the most direct comp I can make) was a little rolled off on top and slightly boomy down below. Someone said that the OG was like a grand tour of Europe, whereas the LIM was the backroad villages - more authentic and musical and lifelike. For my purposes, I wanted to grand tour experience, but sometimes I admit that the details get in the way of the musicality and the mids might fit that mold too much for you.

For cables, I always buy used - you can get some pretty high end cables for cheap here or on US Audio Mart. Cables don't age like other components do.
AQ still seem to retain a lot of their value - back when I had my GS I was using $800 AQ Earth's and they were used. Would like to bring that cost down a bit. I'm reconsidering the LiM since I recently reacquired the LCD 4's and just got some LCD-2F which favors tonality. I just want to make sure the LiM is detailed enough to make the 4's sing. The 2's don't care too much about detail. OG probably has the most bass slam out of all the models, right? The one thing I found a slight issue with my 4s was their neutralish bass so something that sounds more boomy like the BF2 is probably preferred.

These are all moot points at this point since the Yggy as well as a lot of other Schiit products are out 2 months+ but would like to be as informed as possible. The GS + warmer amp was one of my finest pairings that I've struggled to recreate. Don't want to make that mistake again since the GS isn't available anymore :frowning2:

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #10,871 of 12,314
If your amp is warmer and also not quite as transparent, the OG may be the way to go if you're looking for more excitement.

Whereas the LiM is just "correct." Don't mistake the LiM for not being detailed. The details are still there, it's just that the OG throws them in your face more. I've noticed details like room reverb with the LiM that I've not heard with any other DAC before.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #10,872 of 12,314
If your amp is warmer and also not quite as transparent, the OG may be the way to go if you're looking for more excitement.

Whereas the LiM is just "correct." Don't mistake the LiM for not being detailed. The details are still there, it's just that the OG throws them in your face more. I've noticed details like room reverb with the LiM that I've not heard with any other DAC before.
Would you say the LiM is on par detail wise with the GS? The GS was a bit more treble forward so that's why I had to pair it with an warm amp. Both my cans don't push detail at me but often require a DAC that can to make them more noticeable. For example, my HDV820 is decently detailed (based on an ESS Sabre chip) and have no problems following details with my 4s. Same thing with the GS, very easy to follow details even on very warm cans like the Aeolus. Do you have to struggle to hear those details you're talking about on the LiM or are they still pretty easy to pick out?

Jan 31, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #10,873 of 12,314
Do you find the GS a little too hot on top at times? I'm sure it's amazing with the Aeolus.

Are you using balanced or SE outputs? If you're using balanced and you find the GS has synergy and you just want to step it all up a notch, go OG.

If you're using SE, or want a more harmonically rich and accurate timbre (at the cost of a little bit of sheer details and liveliness), go LiM.

Jan 31, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #10,874 of 12,314
Do you find the GS a little too hot on top at times? I'm sure it's amazing with the Aeolus.

Are you using balanced or SE outputs? If you're using balanced and you find the GS has synergy and you just want to step it all up a notch, go OG.

If you're using SE, or want a more harmonically rich and accurate timbre (at the cost of a little bit of sheer details and liveliness), go LiM.
Yes, the GS was more dryer and more etched in the treble. Even after warming up for 3 weeks. Sounds like the OG has the most detail aside from the MIL.

I’m really at a standstill. On one hand I love a nice relaxed listening experience but I also like the good slam that I know the Yggy can provide. That being said, the GS had more than enough slam for me so I think if the LiM is similar in ways than I won’t have any issue. I’m at the point of just getting the LiM and putting a Loki behind it should I need a little more of a bass shelf.

I’m currently running all Single Ended which I know the OG sounds worse out of but I also know that I need balanced because the LCD-4 is very power hungry.

How would you describe the mids on the OG? I like a slightly set of balanced/ tiny bit forward mids but not as forward as say a B2.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #10,875 of 12,314
Hmm...

The LiM still has that "Moffat bass," and might even be more textured.

I like to think of the OG as slightly more U-shaped (accentuated bass and sparkle), while the LiM is slightly more tilted up on the dark side (bass and mids), if that makes sense.

Here's the fact that swayed me:
I tend to rotate gear a lot, and it's much easier to build a system around the LiM than it is to build around the OG imo. The LiM is more "reference" but in a good way (unlike some reference gear being dry and boring). It's the most musical in the sense that it lets the music do its thing rather than trying to be bombastic with everything.
Having recognized that, I figured I may as well build and tune my system around that so that I have more options rather than feel restricted to warm gear in order to potentially tame down the OG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back