Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 11, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #10,831 of 12,201
Is this consistent with multiple sources? I mean this is pulled out of thin air, but for it not to switch sample rate, it would have to dither the signal, which is a pretty fancy operation.
Oh what I mean is that when it tries to switch sample rates, it fails to lock, and then there is no sound. It does not even reacquire the signal lock if I switch back to the original sample rate.

As for sources, I've tried it with PC (Linux w/ Pipewire which currently has to resample to a default bit rate) => Eitr => A2. I've tried remove Eitr and going through USB. I've tried output from Android using UAPP. Tried on MBP using Qobuz native player, which does USB exclusive access. Tried with rPI running Moode. Tried all the USB cables I could get my hands on, including some USB cables marketed for audio. Problem continues to persist. Seems worse at higher sample rates. Playing 24/192 it will usually lose signal lock after 15 minutes or so. AT 24/48 I haven't had it spontaneously lose signal lock yet.

Some research indicates that it could be some sort of grounding issue. I will say that the first time I noticed this malfunction was about a month ago, when I accidentally lifted the ground while moving the A2 between systems. Or it could just be old.

BTW, I'm getting it fixed. Even resampled to 24/48, A2 still has "oh wow so beautiful" moments after all this time.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #10,832 of 12,201
Oh what I mean is that when it tries to switch sample rates, it fails to lock, and then there is no sound. It does not even reacquire the signal lock if I switch back to the original sample rate.

As for sources, I've tried it with PC (Linux w/ Pipewire which currently has to resample to a default bit rate) => Eitr => A2. I've tried remove Eitr and going through USB. I've tried output from Android using UAPP. Tried on MBP using Qobuz native player, which does USB exclusive access. Tried with rPI running Moode. Tried all the USB cables I could get my hands on, including some USB cables marketed for audio. Problem continues to persist. Seems worse at higher sample rates. Playing 24/192 it will usually lose signal lock after 15 minutes or so. AT 24/48 I haven't had it spontaneously lose signal lock yet.

Some research indicates that it could be some sort of grounding issue. I will say that the first time I noticed this malfunction was about a month ago, when I accidentally lifted the ground while moving the A2 between systems. Or it could just be old.

BTW, I'm getting it fixed. Even resampled to 24/48, A2 still has "oh wow so beautiful" moments after all this time.
Oh man, I get it - yeah, hopefully it's a simple fix!

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #10,833 of 12,201
I don't really have much to add to the discussion other jump up and down over finally getting my A2 Yggy last week and its performance has exceeded my already-high impressions. I have it running out of an AlloDigione Signature, and have been having fun connecting it through both the BNC (Silnote Morpheus II) and the Coax (Transparent Audio Premium) and running a total of 4 amps out of it (2 estats - Bottlehead Stat and a CCS-modded 006t and the SW51 and a modded Bottlehead Crack).

I'm coming from a BF2 and a D90, and the Yggy is a clear step up from both of those, in that it takes the best of each but eliminates the worst of each. I found the D90 to work best with my Staxen - they could present the highs that the D90 delivered without being sibilant or harsh. The BF2 played best with my Aeolus and Lawton'd EMU Teak but just didn't synergies with my electrostatics.

After selling those off, I've consolidated to the Yggy A2/OG (Gen 5) and find that it does highs better than the D90 and has more detail overall, while still bringing the BF2's slam and oomph. I'd read a lot of comparisons between the LIM and the OG, and I remember two key points - someone said the OG was like a grand tour of Europe, another said it had parlor tricks, in that it made you sit up and saw wow, but the LIM was more musical, with a natural timbre. I consciously went with the OG because I wanted something that would push the Stax and give them the source to do all that they can but not turn the Aeolus brittle, like the D90 could do. I'm so happy with the OG, for both my dynamics and estats. But I get the "Grand Tour" reference, it pulls out all the stops and can sometimes overwhelm the musicality of it (which, to me, right now, is what I want).

I love that I can swap between BNC and Coax on the Yggy, and I've found the Transparent cable too sizzle for the estats, but the Silnote is perfect. On the Aeolus, the Transparent cable's the perfect match (copper cable for the Aeolus). I was planning to upgrade to Unison, but with the SPDIF connection, I don't feel the need to.

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #10,834 of 12,201
Granted I'm new to Yggyland, but is the MIL a bit of a dog? I hear everyone talk about the OG and LIM.

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #10,835 of 12,201
The MIL is the most "Delta Sigma" sounding flavor of the bunch [according to impressions I've read from others]. Clean and measures well, but seems to come with a bit less of that R2R signature I think many are looking for when considering an Yggy.

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #10,836 of 12,201
It appears that the Analog 2 upgrade is no longer an official option - I guess I have to opt for a switch to another flavor to get that upgrade?

I doubt I'll do an upgrade until the next round of changes, if at all. But is the OG A1->OG A2 upgrade a recommended one? I know there was some controversy over the Gungnir, with some preferring A1, and even in the Schiit Yggy GS FAQ there was a remark along the lines of "Yes, we thing A2 sounds better. Call us crazy."

It'll be a while for me to process this DAC, as I keep pinging between "pshht, I think the Gumby was better" and "oh, wow, so that's what top-tier DACs do".

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #10,837 of 12,201
It appears that the Analog 2 upgrade is no longer an official option - I guess I have to opt for a switch to another flavor to get that upgrade?

I doubt I'll do an upgrade until the next round of changes, if at all. But is the OG A1->OG A2 upgrade a recommended one? I know there was some controversy over the Gungnir, with some preferring A1, and even in the Schiit Yggy GS FAQ there was a remark along the lines of "Yes, we thing A2 sounds better. Call us crazy."

It'll be a while for me to process this DAC, as I keep pinging between "pshht, I think the Gumby was better" and "oh, wow, so that's what top-tier DACs do".

the a2 upgrade did two primary things -- improve the analog output stage, and update the firmware (there was a glitch that generated a lot of controversy as to whether it was audible). the gs was an a1 with the updated firmware. generally, people thought the a2 board was better -- i thought so -- but i must admit it wasn't night and day.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #10,838 of 12,201
the a2 upgrade did two primary things -- improve the analog output stage, and update the firmware (there was a glitch that generated a lot of controversy as to whether it was audible). the gs was an a1 with the updated firmware. generally, people thought the a2 board was better -- i thought so -- but i must admit it wasn't night and day.
Gotcha - thank you for your impressions!

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #10,839 of 12,201
The A2 upgrade is still an option, it's just called OG now.

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #10,840 of 12,201
Nevermind

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #10,841 of 12,201
Jan 12, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #10,842 of 12,201
The Yggdrasil LiM has been a very fun DAC to listen to. Still demoing Roon right now, but I thought it was cool that the Yggdrasil was recognized by it.

1642020929868.png

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #10,843 of 12,201
The A2 upgrade is still an option, it's just called OG now.

So what is the A1 version now, is that still being sold? My GS while it was a bit dry paired nicely with warmer sounding equipment. The synergy was quite good.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #10,844 of 12,201
So what is the A1 version now, is that still being sold? My GS while it was a bit dry paired nicely with warmer sounding equipment. The synergy was quite good.
Nope, it was discontinued when A2 came out. A lot of people opted for the A2 upgrade, so they made the GS out of all those removed A1 cards.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #10,845 of 12,201
Nope, it was discontinued when A2 came out. A lot of people opted for the A2 upgrade, so they made the GS out of all those removed A1 cards.

Damn, so do any of these versions sound more analytical, dry? From what I’ve read the A2 sounds like a suped up BF2 which is nice but not what I’m looking for tonality wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back