Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 30, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #10,801 of 12,314
Thank you all, this is awesome, I've done a lot of DAC research lately (the most since I ended up with the D90 and BF2).

In terms of my preferred genres - it's generally rock (classic and indie) and jazz. But classical (I'd consider Not our First Goat Rodeo in that, which may be nonsensical). But I also have an ES-labs Sigma and it creates, like, a full EXPERIENCE with chamber or classical, with no real bass. And I like to be able to dip my toe into that sometimes. I should probably sell them (and my Jecklin) but they're functional statues / art.

As I've been trying to make my 2 DAC setup work with the Allo USBridge (no luck without a hard cable switch), I had an old Khadas Toneboard connected as the "B" variant and listened to the estats on it today. On A/B swap, it sounded 'better' than the BF2 for my es-1a (which is kind of like a cross between an 007 and 009, if you're familiar with them) but, like, clearly inferior overall by leaps and bounds. So I'd like something with both the details that estats can represent but still musical, like a Multibit/R2R. I've done a lot of reading on the new boards, and LIM sounds like what I'd buy new - but I read somewhere where someone said that the OG was like "Grand Tour of Europe" and I think that connects to your point about the girl you'd fu*ck vs marry. I actually think I'd prefer the OG, as I think estats are the most fu*ckable headphones, and I want something that fu*cks them hardest. on HifiShark I've seen OGs (with A2 and Unison) go for as cheap as $1500 (more at the $1650 level) so my plan is to fu*ck the OG first and, if she annoys me, marry a brand new LIM. I'm near the Schiitr so I can literally tap that before marrying it pretty easily. I've also heard very interesting things about the Musician Pegasus (or Aquarius) and am curious to hear how they sound with the Staxen, but Yggy seems the soundest bet.

And I would kill the Topping D90 in that fu*ck-kill-marry triumvirate.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #10,802 of 12,314
Awesome, thanks. How do you find the difference between the BF2 vs the Yggy? Different flavors, or is the Yggy just better all around?

I'd like to consolidate to one DAC, but test out others, like the Soekris 2541. I really do find that electrostatics react better to detail-rich DACs, which is why I paired them with the D90 (on tube amps) and I figure I might as well just advance to the Yggy now rather than dancing around different $1k DACs for a while. With the Allo USBridge, I kind of need to only use one DAC, even with a nice in/out switch (I use the Little Bear), and for whatever reason, I can't use multiple DACs through it (I've tried 3 different USB hubs/switches to no avail).
I had the old USBridge (not the Signature) with an Sbooster LPS as the source for my OG Yggdrasil for quite a while, and that was better than my previous source, Auralic Aries Femto via AES. Pi2AES is a marginal improvement over that, but in your situation I'd just use the USBridge Signature for your Yggdrasil and stop worrying about sources.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #10,803 of 12,314
I'm getting a Denafrips Iris digital to digital converter for my source USB conversion to AES/EBU into my Yggy DAC. The Iris will sit right on top of the Yggy, so the minimum AES/EBU cable length physically needed is only 15" or a little less. Has anybody experimented with different lengths of AES or SPDIF coaxial digital cable? The received "expert" opinion on this is that this cable needs to be a minimum of 5 ft. or so as to minimize timing jitter due to internal reflections. So the claim is that a long cable is still needed even for a very short physical digital interface. I would think that the reduction in timing jitter would be a tradeoff against the corresponding increase in other distortions due to the longer cable length such as increased total distortion due to imperfect dielectric, conductor composition, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #10,804 of 12,314
That claim of 5' is usually assigned to SPDIF and not AES cables.
I have several 2-3' AES cables in my chain for several years now and have had no problems, nor has my SQ been degraded.

Just say'n.
JJ

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #10,805 of 12,314
Has anyone gone from BF2 to LIM using SE only in a 2.0 speaker setup?

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #10,806 of 12,314
I am breaking in a Yggdrasil A1 via coax - would there be any advantage to me getting a coax to AES DDC like a Hosa CDL-313?

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #10,808 of 12,314
I am breaking in a Yggdrasil A1 via coax - would there be any advantage to me getting a coax to AES DDC like a Hosa CDL-313?
There might be, but then again there might not be, mostly dependent upon the rest of your audio chain, based upon your being able to hear any differences in the 1st place.
Think weakest link theory, meaning if there is a 'big SQ bottle neck' elsewhere in your audio chain or if the Hosa CDL-313 itself turns out to be a bottle neck all by itself, then probably not.
BUT only you can determine these results for yourself in your system.

Such is the variability and 'experimental' nature of trial and error in this hobby.
Just be sure you can either return or recoup the cost of your DDC should the results be less than acceptable…

JJ

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #10,810 of 12,314
Same question though. They haven’t sold GS since they introduced 3 flavors.

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #10,815 of 12,314
There might be, but then again there might not be, mostly dependent upon the rest of your audio chain, based upon your being able to hear any differences in the 1st place.
Think weakest link theory, meaning if there is a 'big SQ bottle neck' elsewhere in your audio chain or if the Hosa CDL-313 itself turns out to be a bottle neck all by itself, then probably not.
BUT only you can determine these results for yourself in your system.

Such is the variability and 'experimental' nature of trial and error in this hobby.
Just be sure you can either return or recoup the cost of your DDC should the results be less than acceptable…

JJ
My source is a Hifiberry Digi+ via coax, and I can't wrap my head around how a converter will "improve" a digital signal if it could just feed the DAC a strong enough signal in the first place. That Hossa is like $100, so it's not the end of the world.

Regarding me "breaking it in", I am PERSONALLY breaking in a very much original Yggy (or more like it is breaking me in), sorry for the mystery hah. I'm coming in from a Gumby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back