Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 8, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #10,816 of 12,310
I am breaking in a Yggdrasil A1 via coax - would there be any advantage to me getting a coax to AES DDC like a Hosa CDL-313?
Doubtful. I've run my Y A2 with coax and AES from the same source (Pi2AES), no difference I could discern. AFAIK, the AES and coax inputs in the Y did not change between A1 and A2 (my A2 is actually an original A1 upgraded with the new A2 board and Unison).

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #10,817 of 12,310
My source is a Hifiberry Digi+ via coax, and I can't wrap my head around how a converter will "improve" a digital signal if it could just feed the DAC a strong enough signal in the first place. That Hossa is like $100, so it's not the end of the world.

Regarding me "breaking it in", I am PERSONALLY breaking in a very much original Yggy (or more like it is breaking me in), sorry for the mystery hah. I'm coming in from a Gumby.
No, there would be no real benefit of getting a converter in this case.

You'd be better off taking the money you'd spend on a converter and just getting a solid source with AES output (like the Pi2AES).

But if your coax is working just fine and you don't notice anything off about it, don't lose sleep over it.

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #10,818 of 12,310
Thanks for the feedback?

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #10,819 of 12,310
One question, I didn't find anything on the net.
I have a rich collection of DSD files, and I wanted to listen them with the yggy. I use JRiver, and when it automatically enables the low pass filter "24kHz\48dbOctave". Is it safe to set it to off and let the DAC doing everything?

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #10,820 of 12,310
I have a rich collection of DSD files, and I wanted to listen them with the yggy. I use JRiver, and when it automatically enables the low pass filter "24kHz\48dbOctave". Is it safe to set it to off and let the DAC doing everything?
I'm not an expert but I strongly suspect that Yggy won't know the files are DSD and will therefore pass all frequencies up to half the sampling rate unattenuated. In other words, if JRiver is converting DSD to 176.4kHz PCM with no low-pass filter then you are very likely sending high frequency noise/distortion to the Yggy and consequently onto your amp and speakers, which may or may not have potentially harmful implications. If it were me, I'd err on the safe side and keep a low-pass filter in place, although 24kHz @ 48dB/oct seems a bit extreme, since the noise doesn't usually start to escalate until >30kHz. Another option would be to simply configure your player to convert DSD to 88.2kHz PCM, that way you'll get a brickwall filter that removes all noise above 44kHz.

Typical noise profile of a DSD recording converted to 352.8kHz PCM:

48056907407_26f64e3282_o.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #10,821 of 12,310
I am not sure if this is the question, but the Yggy cannot do DSD, full stop. There's no negotiating this.

To listen to DSD, you must convert the stream to PCM first, and this is a fairly standard practice in music software.

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #10,822 of 12,310
I am not sure if this is the question, but the Yggy cannot do DSD, full stop. There's no negotiating this.

To listen to DSD, you must convert the stream to PCM first, and this is a fairly standard practice in music software.
You didn't get the question. I'm talking about how to convert the DSD stream to PCM.

Jan 9, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #10,824 of 12,310
Yeah it's a pain in the ass but we'll worth it for me, I've tried so many dacs to get to a point where I am but the yggdrasil has been a swizz army knife for me. I've tried it with high end dacs like the tt2, dave, venus 2,
I have the LiM and have thought about grabbing the A2 cards. If only it was as easy to pull out the cards as the BF2.
I wish it was easier as well, it would be nice to card swap. Honestly if you have the LiM card I wouldn't bother with the a A2, to me they were very similar with LiM having an edge on musicality

If your looking for a different flavor I would go for the MiL or try to find an old A1

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #10,825 of 12,310
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #10,826 of 12,310
Jan 10, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #10,827 of 12,310
I'm doing it. I repeat: do I have to use a low pass filter or not?

you don't have it, but i would use it since it's just noise that you would be passing on. listen both ways and see what you think.

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #10,828 of 12,310
My A2 (had it for a few years) has lately not been able to switch sampling rate. No blinking lights or anything, input selection works fine, it just never acquires a signal lock, and power cycling doesn't help, and I have to leave it completely unplugged for an hour or overnight I've been down sampling to 24/48 and it seems better. Before I hit up Schitt (it's not in warranty) is there any sort of hard reset I can do? Is there button battery in there or something? I've tried both USB and Coax and it doesn't matter. Would AES be different? I'd be fine using AES if that was a solution.

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #10,829 of 12,310
My A2 (had it for a few years) has lately not been able to switch sampling rate. No blinking lights or anything, input selection works fine, it just never acquires a signal lock, and power cycling doesn't help, and I have to leave it completely unplugged for an hour or overnight I've been down sampling to 24/48 and it seems better. Before I hit up Schitt (it's not in warranty) is there any sort of hard reset I can do? Is there button battery in there or something? I've tried both USB and Coax and it doesn't matter. Would AES be different? I'd be fine using AES if that was a solution.
Only difference AES would make is if your USB and coax cable aren't up to the task of handling those signals, but I'd it was working fine for a few years and doesn't anymore, I'd send them an email. Unplugging it for an hour should already be a "reset" for it.

I would try to rule out your source just verify if it's indeed the Yggy or not.

Let us know whatever you find out!

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #10,830 of 12,310
Is this consistent with multiple sources? I mean this is pulled out of thin air, but for it not to switch sample rate, it would have to dither the signal, which is a pretty fancy operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back