Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 19, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #10,681 of 12,304
Yggdrasil OG is fully Multibit DAC but not 100% R2R. Go and see datasheet of AD5791. It is hybrid of R2R (14bits) and string DAC (6bits), which are both Multibit but having different architecture. String DAC is complicated but better than R2R?
LiM and MiL are full R2R if my understanding is correct.

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #10,682 of 12,304
EXACTLY my sentiments.

And I don't have experience evaluating or directly comparing DACs. Pretty sure that whatever my preconceptions were going in about OG vs LIM vs MIL, that's what my brain would be telling me I had experienced. (I can't do a DBT all by myself at home, and wouldn't want to go to all that effort. Go with the Brain, and Be Happy. It could be a lying sack of grey jelly, but it's my lying sack of grey jelly.)

I ordered an Yggy. When it gets here, I'm counting on the grey jelly to suck up royally, and tell me I made an absolutely brilliant choice. (That'll be 117 great decisions in a row, I believe. But it's the lying suckup jello that's keeping score.)
Which flavor did you order?

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #10,683 of 12,304
Yggdrasil OG is fully Multibit DAC but not 100% R2R. Go and see datasheet of AD5791. It is hybrid of R2R (14bits) and string DAC (6bits), which are both Multibit but having different architecture. String DAC is complicated but better than R2R?
LiM and MiL are full R2R if my understanding is correct.
Did not know that , interesting.

Nov 20, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #10,684 of 12,304
Which flavor did you order?
I went with the LIM. Bear in mind that I've never heard any Yggy, let alone all three current flavors. My synthesis of impressions is that MIL appeals to a minority of people, so I eliminated that one first. There seem to be more people who know the OG who had good reactions to the LIM than who have preferred the OG, including at the Schiitr Shoot Out. That's so far, with not a huge number of LIMs out in the field due (presumably) to supply chain issues. But have to make a choice somehow, and from my p-o-v, the weight of the evidence favored the LIM.

Which is, BTW, now on its way. Quite a bit sooner than the posted 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #10,685 of 12,304
I went with the LIM. Bear in mind that I've never heard any Yggy, let alone all three current flavors. My synthesis of impressions is that MIL appeals to a minority of people, so I eliminated that one first. There seem to be more people who know the OG who had good reactions to the LIM than who have preferred the OG, including at the Schiitr Shoot Out. That's so far, with not a huge number of LIMs out in the field due (presumably) supply chain issues. But have to make a choice somehow, and from my p-o-v, the weight of the evidence favored the LIM.

Excellent choice.

Heres my reasoning for choosing the LIM. I owned a BF2 for about 6 months before the YGGY. In that time, I have seen numerous posts about how the BF2 is a baby OG Yggy. Folks told me that the top end sparkle and punchy dynamic low end of the BF2 are all similar to that of the OG. The BF2 was a great dac but its "in your face" sound was not my favorite especially when i had the much more smooth and laid back Pontus 2 sitting right next to it. I needed something that would relax the overall sound while maintaining a clean, crisp sound signature. Thats why I went with the LIM. It was cheaper, it wasnt super clean like the MIL and it wasnt too dynamic much like the OG is alleged to be. I think you and I both made a great choices but either of the other two options would have been just as fine.

Nov 20, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #10,686 of 12,304
I went with the LIM. Bear in mind that I've never heard any Yggy, let alone all three current flavors. My synthesis of impressions is that MIL appeals to a minority of people, so I eliminated that one first. There seem to be more people who know the OG who had good reactions to the LIM than who have preferred the OG, including at the Schiitr Shoot Out. That's so far, with not a huge number of LIMs out in the field due (presumably) to supply chain issues. But have to make a choice somehow, and from my p-o-v, the weight of the evidence favored the LIM.

glad it is coming sooner than later for you. I got the OG it is plugged in for maybe three days now. Have not hooked it up to anything yet. From what I read it takes a few weeks before it settles in so I am not going to listen to it till I feel it has enough time stabilizing. But after reading some of the reviews I am thinking maybe I should have chosen the LIM per the consensus . Oh well .

Nov 20, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #10,687 of 12,304
glad it is coming sooner than later for you. I got the OG it is plugged in for maybe three days now. Have not hooked it up to anything yet. From what I read it takes a few weeks before it settles in so I am not going to listen to it till I feel it has enough time stabilizing. But after reading some of the reviews I am thinking maybe I should have chosen the LIM per the consensus . Oh well .
Hey you might even enjoy the OG more than we enjoy our LIM. I wanted to get the OG for the longest time and even had one in my cart before it went on back order. One of the biggest reasoning for choosing the LIM was its low price. After after reading reviews, i chose the LIM because of its sound signature. If you can find a warm sounding amp to go with a bright sounding OG, I dont see why you wont have a good time listening. Please let us know of your experience with the OG

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #10,688 of 12,304
Hey you might even enjoy the OG more than we enjoy our LIM. I wanted to get the OG for the longest time and even had one in my cart before it went on back order. One of the biggest reasoning for choosing the LIM was its low price. After after reading reviews, i chose the LIM because of its sound signature. If you can find a warm sounding amp to go with a bright sounding OG, I dont see why you wont have a good time listening. Please let us know of your experience with the OG
Going to be awhile I just got the unit three days ago and the yaggys take awhile to settle in.

Nov 21, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #10,690 of 12,304
Nov 21, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #10,691 of 12,304
”Bright sounding OG”????? Compensating for frequency response aberrations might occasionally be necessary for some sub $200 dacs, but in my experience not for excellent $2k+ ones (Yggy, Holo, Denafrips, Chord, etc.).

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #10,692 of 12,304
I got the OG it is plugged in for maybe three days now. Have not hooked it up to anything yet. From what I read it takes a few weeks before it settles in so I am not going to listen to it till I feel it has enough time stabilizing. But after reading some of the reviews I am thinking maybe I should have chosen the LIM per the consensus
After 100h or so, OG Y changes are very small, not sure if it's the DAC or the listener after that point. Like you, I have OG Y and Morpheus. It's definitely an interesting contrast, although I'll hold off on commenting to avoid biasing your impressions :wink:

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #10,693 of 12,304
After 100h or so, OG Y changes are very small, not sure if it's the DAC or the listener after that point. Like you, I have OG Y and Morpheus. It's definitely an interesting contrast, although I'll hold off on commenting to avoid biasing your impressions :wink:
Maybe having both is a good thing. What flavor do you want today? Nice option to have.

Nov 21, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #10,694 of 12,304
Maybe having both is a good thing. What flavor do you want today? Nice option to have.
Yes. OG Y more incisive, forward for energetic music with percussion, electric instruments, reeds; Morpheus more romantic, especially with strings or piano. I tend to use Y with a tube amp, Morpheus with a solid-state one.

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #10,695 of 12,304
Yes. OG Y more incisive, forward for energetic music with percussion, electric instruments, reeds; Morpheus more romantic, especially with strings or piano. I tend to use Y with a tube amp, Morpheus with a solid-state one.
Have the rogue rh-5 hybrid and the burson ha-160 class A solid state headphone amps. I do like the bursons class A amp a lot. Frankly I was surprised at how well it signatures with the Morpheus. I had not expected it to sound more appealing than the more expensive Rogue but it just does. I attribute it to the class A operation of the Burson. The Rogue is class AB operation. Have to see when the OG has enough warm up time on it. IT is I think 5 days since I plugged it in. I still think it need more from what I have read. I am really enjoying the Morpheus now that is sufficiently warmed up. It is I think 13 days since I plugged it in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back