Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 12, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #10,666 of 12,310
I did a review of the LIM and still have my OG powered up in the rack. I would not go back to the OG. To these ears, the LIM has it all over the OG. Soft treble? Hell no. I hear more detail than with the OG without a more etched treble. Similar overall sound but the LIM is just a bit better across the entire frequency spectrum. Small differences sure add up.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #10,667 of 12,310
I did a review of the LIM and still have my OG powered up in the rack. I would not go back to the OG. To these ears, the LIM has it all over the OG. Soft treble? Hell no. I hear more detail with the OG without a more etched treble. Similar overall sound but the LIM is just a bit better across the entire frequency spectrum. Small differences sure add up.
I'm confused. Which do you like better?

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #10,669 of 12,310
I did a review of the LIM and still have my OG powered up in the rack. I would not go back to the OG. To these ears, the LIM has it all over the OG. Soft treble? Hell no. I hear more detail than with the OG without a more etched treble. Similar overall sound but the LIM is just a bit better across the entire frequency spectrum. Small differences sure add up.
Thanks for sharing. There is a reason the LIM is sold out and the MIL and OG are available LOL. Just reading impressions I think it's all relative to each other. Jason / Mike mentioned that both LIM and MIL measure better than the OG and are more detailed / clear sounding. I think the difference is that MIL is supposed to be even more detailed / clear sounding than LIM but introduces more treble energy and a more digital timbre (sounds less "natural"). This got me interested in MIL as I know my own preferences. Timbre is not a huge priority for me (unless it's really off) and I can handle a bit of extra treble energy if I can get more details/clarity. Yggy is an R2R DAC so I doubt it will be as harsh or digital sounding as Sigma Delta even when pushed in that direction. It must just be relativity to the other Yggys only. Sorry, I keep posting about my impression of other people's impressions :joy: (just ignore me)

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #10,671 of 12,310
Just got an E mail that Schiit was shipping my yaggy Og today. That was pretty fast. Just hope I ordered the right one for my system. I had read that the LIM is pretty popular and some opinions that it is the best flavor. That could be why the shipping is delayed for the LIM flavor.
Congrats man! Please do share your impressions when it arrives

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #10,672 of 12,310
Thanks for sharing. There is a reason the LIM is sold out and the MIL and OG are available LOL. Just reading impressions I think it's all relative to each other. Jason / Mike mentioned that both LIM and MIL measure better than the OG and are more detailed / clear sounding. I think the difference is that MIL is supposed to be even more detailed / clear sounding than LIM but introduces more treble energy and a more digital timbre (sounds less "natural"). This got me interested in MIL as I know my own preferences. Timbre is not a huge priority for me (unless it's really off) and I can handle a bit of extra treble energy if I can get more details/clarity. Yggy is an R2R DAC so I doubt it will be as harsh or digital sounding as Sigma Delta even when pushed in that direction. It must just be relativity to the other Yggys only. Sorry, I keep posting about my impression of other people's impressions :joy: (just ignore me)
Don't sleep on the OG flavor either. You'd be surprised by the treble extension & intensity an R2R can have... I definitely noticed some potent treble with Yggy A1, moreso even than my Allo Katana ESS Sabre DAC

Nov 16, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #10,674 of 12,310
It's just a fotm thing. Don't get hung up on the different versions. I've had my OG for years and been through 2 USB upgrades and an analog 2 upgrade. It sounds amazing and is the real deal. I would never trade it for a newer one. All it's going to take is someone in a position of authority to proclaim the superiority of a different flavor and suddenly there's a new king.

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #10,676 of 12,310
Well The yaggy 2 og just got delivered. I am surprised at how heavy it is . It is built like a tank. I have it unboxed and am letting it warm up before I plug it in and let is burn in for awhile. The return period is only two weeks so no time to waste. Not that it matters after reading that it takes 30 days of constant power before it begins to open up and you get a real idea of how it performs. So it is a crap shot of sorts but with so many fans I am assured it is not a crap shot.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #10,677 of 12,310
It can take 2-4 weeks to reach PEAK performance, but you'll get the idea in roughly 2-300hrs (8-12 days of always on breakin).
And after the 1st couple of hours and up to ≈10-15hrs it will give you a good idea of where it's heading.

Just say'n…

JJ

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #10,678 of 12,310
Don't sleep on the OG flavor either. You'd be surprised by the treble extension & intensity an R2R can have... I definitely noticed some potent treble with Yggy A1, moreso even than my Allo Katana ESS Sabre DAC

It's just a fotm thing. Don't get hung up on the different versions. I've had my OG for years and been through 2 USB upgrades and an analog 2 upgrade. It sounds amazing and is the real deal. I would never trade it for a newer one. All it's going to take is someone in a position of authority to proclaim the superiority of a different flavor and suddenly there's a new king.

For sure. At this point the OG 'flavor' is the safe choice. The tried and true workhorse and world class DAC. The new flavors are interesting, but just knowing Schiit's philosophy and how they work, they would not have released the LIM or MIL unless they were genuinely worthy competitors to the OG. As they explained, any other manufacturer would have called the LIM, "Yggy 2" and MIL as the "Super Yggy 2" and released them each at $3000 and $6000 and audiophiles would have bought the new $6K Schiit premium DAC and said it competes with the Dave :laughing: Schiit being Schiit released them for lower than the OG price which is not expensive enough to sound better than $10K DACs (in theory). I don't think anyone can properly evaluate them unless they had all three side-by-side-by-side and they have some nice headphones and some experience evaluating DACs. It'll be quite the undertaking. My guess is the differences might be quite subtle or obvious depending on your level of experience evaluating DACs

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #10,679 of 12,310
For sure. At this point the OG 'flavor' is the safe choice. The tried and true workhorse and world class DAC. The new flavors are interesting, but just knowing Schiit's philosophy and how they work, they would not have released the LIM or MIL unless they were genuinely worthy competitors to the OG.

I don't think anyone can properly evaluate them unless they had all three side-by-side-by-side and they have some nice headphones and some experience evaluating DACs. It'll be quite the undertaking. My guess is the differences might be quite subtle or obvious depending on your level of experience evaluating DACs
EXACTLY my sentiments.

And I don't have experience evaluating or directly comparing DACs. Pretty sure that whatever my preconceptions were going in about OG vs LIM vs MIL, that's what my brain would be telling me I had experienced. (I can't do a DBT all by myself at home, and wouldn't want to go to all that effort. Go with the Brain, and Be Happy. It could be a lying sack of grey jelly, but it's my lying sack of grey jelly.)

I ordered an Yggy. When it gets here, I'm counting on the grey jelly to suck up royally, and tell me I made an absolutely brilliant choice. (That'll be 117 great decisions in a row, I believe. But it's the lying suckup jello that's keeping score.)

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #10,680 of 12,310
I also have another R2R dac in house the Sonnett Morpheus so. It is a very musical sounding dac. I think when my new OG is powered up for a period of break in the comparison should be pretty interesting. I have to say the Morpheus is a very musical sounding dac with decent bottom end and decent dynamics too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back